• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color tie will go with this solid purple shirt and navy jacket?

Sam Phinney

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a Navy Blue jacket & pants. I used to wear a white solid shirt with it, but it sadly ripped and I don't really have time/money to buy a nice new one. So, I was thinking about wearing this solid purple shirt with it. Only thing is, I don't really know what kind of tie to wear? I've got access to a lot of them, and was just thinking about some ideas for colors. Thanks!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What event do you have in mind?

I wore my black suit (= Style Forum elite heresy but **** 'em!) to a nightclub party with a shirt that colour and a dark purple tie.

I wouldn't dream of wearing any of those items in a business setting, unless my name was Pretty Tony and my business did not declare taxes to the IRS.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't dream of wearing any of those items in a business setting, unless my name was Pretty Tony and my business did not declare taxes to the IRS.

Thank you for saying it, laniceman.

I have nothing inherently against pairing a purple shirt with a navy suit, so long as it's a very light purple. This is a specific example of a general rule, that while dress shirts needn't be white, they if they are non-white, they should be... well, I guess "pale" describes it best. That is to say, they should not be dark and the colors should not be intense or saturated. Think pale blue, rather than royal blue. light pink, rather than vibrant, shocking pink. Like yellow, rather than a rich, dark golden yellow. And so forth. (Exceptions presumably exist for gangster meetups, clubbing, costume parties, etc. But in terms of typical conservative attire, it's a pretty reliable general rule.)

The OP's shirt just strikes me as far from ideal for pairing with a navy suit. It's not purple, it's PURPLE. If time and money are truly tight, well, a men's tailored fit pinpoint dress shirt, in white, runs about sixteen bucks and change from Lands End. And a white shirt isn't exactly a frivolous fashion expenditure; owning one makes a lot of sense.

Next, the OP mentions that he'll be wearing "a navy blue jacket & pants." I've taken this to mean a navy blue suit. However, if it's not a suit - if it's simply a navy jacket and navy pants - that's another problem. The "not a suit, but since the pants and jacket are the same color it kinda, sorta looks like a suit from a distance" look is a really bad one. Don't do it. If going to some event where a suit is expected or required, it's almost always a much better move to show up in tan or grey pants (even chinos) and a navy jacket, than to do the navy pants and navy jacket thing.

Finally, with regard to the tie color, my vote's for navy blue. No, this may not be the most imaginative, creative choice. But it's a good, solid, unobjectionable choice. And if someone is sufficiently unsure of what to wear that he needs to ask here for help with picking a tie color (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm more comfortable steering him toward the safe and perfectly acceptable, than toward the imaginative and creative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads