• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9780349120416.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just started this today:

american_tabloid_20081109.jpg

I really liked American Tabloid...read it when it came out like 15 yrs back. Only just gotten around to its sequels. Cold 6000 is OK, I think he is overdoing the staccato thing, it's starting to grate. I never noticed it as much in any of Ellroy's earlier works. Yes, he has always written in short, punchy bursts, but Cold 6000 has nary a sentence above four words...it takes a certain skill to write like that, but that doesn't mean you can't over do it...I think he's overdoing it.

Still Mike, enjoy American Tabloid.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I really liked American Tabloid...read it when it came out like 15 yrs back. Only just gotten around to its sequels. Cold 6000 is OK, I think he is overdoing the staccato thing, it's starting to grate. I never noticed it as much in any of Ellroy's earlier works. Yes, he has always written in short, punchy bursts, but Cold 6000 has nary a sentence above four words...it takes a certain skill to write like that, but that doesn't mean you can't over do it...I think he's overdoing it.

Still Mike, enjoy American Tabloid.

His style has become increasingly affected - American Tabloid has a very rigid structure if I remember correctly, and the later couple of books take the whole staccato rhythm to absurd new heights, while ramifying and complexifying their plots into incoherence. I think he has grown fixated on the "jazz" elements of his writing, and pays less and less attention to plot and character. A shame, really, because at his peak he was one of the best crime novelists around.

mvmori

Reaction score
Re-reading some of Albert Camus; The Rebel, and the Myth of Sisyphus, namely. Bertrand Russel's Power, as well.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51yuPQCzMCL.jpg
By someone who I have befriended in the past year and is truly fascinating. He recently got this book published in french by Gallimard. For those interested and are in France they will be talking this book on France 2 at 21h55.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baldwincrown
I'm currently reading Stieg Larsson's "The babe with the dragon tattoo." Really arresting story. Can't put the book down. Started account it afterwards account a cine analysis about its cine adaptation. Have to apprehend it aboriginal afore watching it.

Is English not your mother language, or are you a particularly subtle spambot?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200px-The_Road_to_Reality.jpg

Continuing my tracking of the thread of quantum entanglement. Believe it or not, this is pretty good, once you get used to skipping the math that you don't know and aren't likely to learn. You just sort of pick a chapter up in the 20's or 30's, and follow the links back to the chapters in the 1's and 10's that describe the math that you need.

Gotta say, the subtitle is pretty pretentious. But then, I'm probably going to buy a copy for my library.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baldwincrown
I'm currently reading Stieg Larsson's "The babe with the dragon tattoo." Really arresting story. Can't put the book down. Started account it afterwards account a cine analysis about its cine adaptation. Have to apprehend it aboriginal afore watching it.

Originally Posted by ayyanasharya
right now, I am reading a novel named five point for some. It's a real story which was happen in a collage. It gives some inspiration to us. I think that it should be read those are collegian. It is one of awesome book which I have ever read.

Are you two related?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics