• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Which books of his exactly are worth reading?

A while back I picked up Cryptonomicon on a recomendation and couldn't finish it. Some of the encryption stuff was interesting but I thought his characters and plot were very weak. Immature would almost be the word to describe it. The situations felt like something a nerdy 17 year old boy would contrive if he were plotting a novel... Turned me off.

The book seemed like a poor-man's V.

Well, he never rises above top quality pulp fiction, but Snow Crash is pretty clearly his best work, followed by Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon. Everything he's written since then has been bloated and dull.

In the Beginning was the Command Line is an interesting polemic along the lines of "information wants to be free."

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Cold_Six_Thou.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Well, he never rises above top quality pulp fiction, but Snow Crash is pretty clearly his best work, followed by Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon. Everything he's written since then has been bloated and dull.

In the Beginning was the Command Line is an interesting polemic along the lines of "information wants to be free."

+1

Read Snow Crash if you want a fun read. It's not going make you think, but it's a great, easy read. The Diamond Age is more involving, but I'd make it my second read. I enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but had to slog through a few parts.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Anathem. Made me pick up Cryptonomicon and have another go at it. Got about 30 pages in and put it down.

But Anathem was great.

By the way, I just made a connection between Stephenson's Anathem and Jorge Luis Borges' "Garden of Forking Paths". Stephenson is riffing on that idea but includes the science fiction idea of activist participants.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I loved Anathem. Made me pick up Cryptonomicon and have another go at it. Got about 30 pages in and put it down.

But Anathem was great.

By the way, I just made a connection between Stephenson's Anathem and Jorge Luis Borges' "Garden of Forking Paths". Stephenson is riffing on that idea but includes the science fiction idea of activist participants.

Anathem was great. A bit long, especially in the first act (I have seen a lot of comments that the editors gave him too much reign...but I don't know what I would cut without hurting the book), but great. I would still say snow crash was better but I would definitely like to read a third book by him.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Cold_Six_Thou.jpg

Speaking of bloated and dull...Ellroy is another writer whose best years are behind him.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I loved Anathem. Made me pick up Cryptonomicon and have another go at it. Got about 30 pages in and put it down. But Anathem was great. By the way, I just made a connection between Stephenson's Anathem and Jorge Luis Borges' "Garden of Forking Paths". Stephenson is riffing on that idea but includes the science fiction idea of activist participants.
I'd forgotten about Anathem. This was his best work in years, but would have been far better with tighter editing. There was far too much vague, borderline indecipherable philosophical meandering that didn't contribute to advancing the plot.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diamond Age is the poster child of books without endings- my description of it is that the plot flies off the end of the book, wires trailing behind.

He's really gotten a lot better at endings, but the endings aren't where the joy of reading Stephenson lies.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished jane eyee and Reread brave new world and the Iliad over last couple weeks. Not sure what im gonna read next. Love my kindle; i get so much reading done with it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Finished jane eyee and Reread brave new world and the Iliad over last couple weeks. Not sure what im gonna read next. Love my kindle; i get so much reading done with it.

Whose translation of the Iliad? I read the Richard Lattimore version in college, but there are a couple of versions that have come out since then that I'm curious about.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
511C0OkaIYL._SL380_.jpg
Thank god for kindles.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just started this today:

american_tabloid_20081109.jpg

The beginning of the end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads