• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

West Palm Beach, FL

jrobertr

Reaction score
I will be working in WPB for 10 weeks this summer and wondering if anyone lives in/near the area? If you live there or have visited, how did you like it? From what I have read it seems to be an older crowd, however I feel that during the summer is when most locals leave.

Has anyone ever been during the summer, if so, how was your experience?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrobertr
I will be working in WPB for 10 weeks this summer and wondering if anyone lives in/near the area? If you live there or have visited, how did you like it? From what I have read it seems to be an older crowd, however I feel that during the summer is when most locals leave.

Has anyone ever been during the summer, if so, how was your experience?

Lived in Palm Beach County for a couple of years, in Wellington, and absolutely loved it. As for locals, there aren't really any locals in S Fla anymore, in my opinion. Hardly anyone there is FROM there. Palm Beach County has a lot of Hispanics and Yankees now. There is a lot to do in PBC, great shopping nearby in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, golf everywhere, beaches, a lot of diversity, everything from strip clubs that serve buffet lunches and C&W bars, lots of summer concerts, etc.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I will be working in WPB for 10 weeks this summer and wondering if anyone lives in/near the area? If you live there or have visited, how did you like it? From what I have read it seems to be an older crowd, however I feel that during the summer is when most locals leave. Has anyone ever been during the summer, if so, how was your experience?
Yep, also live in Welliworld/ Palm Beach. Out of all the places I have been I would say this is the only place I would raise a family in, a very clean beautiful place Yeah, it's an older crowd, but you can head over to City Place to Clematis street, great night life, some good restaurants, bands. Or if you like to shop Worth Ave has some great stores. Palm Beach is also very beautiful. The Breakers, Lion Country Safari (for the kids), you can see whats going on at the S. Fl. Fairgrounds, plenty of Golf all over the place etc. In any case you are within hours of Miami, Naples, Orlando....I say enjoy the beach everyday you can I see you are in Lexington. I spent 5 years in Louisville, those were some of the most friendliest and down to earth people I have ever met. If you like that atmosphere, it's the same down here

jrobertr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
I see you are in Lexington. I spent 5 years in Louisville, those were some of the most friendliest and down to earth people I have ever met. If you like that atmosphere, it's the same down here

Yeah, the people here really friendly and down to eather, I couldn't agree more. So pretty much the weather is the biggest difference from what it seems. What were you doing in Louisville if you don't mind me asking? Just about all of my roommates are from there...

As for City Place and Clematis Street, those areas are really nice and vibrate from what I've read. Currently in the process of trying to find a place within walking distance to the area.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Yeah, the people here really friendly and down to eather, I couldn't agree more. So pretty much the weather is the biggest difference from what it seems. What were you doing in Louisville if you don't mind me asking? Just about all of my roommates are from there...

As for City Place and Clematis Street, those areas are really nice and vibrate from what I've read. Currently in the process of trying to find a place within walking distance to the area.

I emigrated from Cuba and out of all the states my family ended up in KY. Both of my parents were Drs and it was easier for them to start over and work back to getting licensed in KY. Also they wanted to go to a place where no one spoke spanish to in theory learn English faster, which worked for them. I hear Louisville has a lot of Cuban people going over there now. Loved KY, thinking about going back and seeing the house I lived in and how things have changed over there after I graduate.

There are plenty of apartment buildings around City Place and a Univ across the street so a lot of College kids walking around

steviepowers

Reaction score
My partner and I live in close to West Palm Beach we often take a Saturday trip to Lion Country Safari, every month or so We only did the drive-thru safari, and didn't camp or try any of the included rides or animal feedings.... so perhaps we leave that for next time I would recomend this, and if you actually end doing it and going there make sure to get the coupon code from their website as they do not require you to print it. This will get you $8 off each person in the vehicle let me know if there is any other things in particular you are interested in?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steviepowers
My partner and I live in close to West Palm Beach we often take a Saturday trip to Lion Country Safari, every month or so We only did the drive-thru safari, and didn't camp or try any of the included rides or animal feedings.... so perhaps we leave that for next time

I would recomend this, and if you actually end doing it and going there make sure to get the coupon code from their website as they do not require you to print it. This will get you $8 off each person in the vehicle

let me know if there is any other things in particular you are interested in?

I would do some research on Lion Country Safari before giving them your business. After a brief look at their website, it seems as though they are involved in captive breeding, which is almost always a red flag for side shows trying to appear as "conservationists" or "sanctuaries". I would call Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL and ask them, as they have a list of all the reputable sanctuaries in the state of Florida.

bingebag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I would do some research on Lion Country Safari before giving them your business. After a brief look at their website, it seems as though they are involved in captive breeding, which is almost always a red flag for side shows trying to appear as "conservationists" or "sanctuaries". I would call Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL and ask them, as they have a list of all the reputable sanctuaries in the state of Florida.

I lived there for 19 years up until the last couple of years. Lion Country Safari has been in West Palm Beach for longer than I have been alive. There has never been any concern that they were mistreating animals.

My advice: everyone should check out lion country safari, at least once in their life. Skip the bullshit amusement park afterwards unless you have kids with you younger than 10.

If your looking for drinking spots, downtown WPB on Clematis street is where your going to want to go.

E..R Bradleys, Dr. Feelgoods, and Respectables are all solid bars from Thursday-Saturday.

IMO, clothes shopping is fairly wack in West Palm Beach. There is a BB in Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens.

The real gem is the Polo factory outlet in Sawgrass Mills that tends to have a good amount of main line polo blue, black, and purple merchandise.

silvere2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bingebag
I lived there for 19 years up until the last couple of years. Lion Country Safari has been in West Palm Beach for longer than I have been alive. There has never been any concern that they were mistreating animals.

My advice: everyone should check out lion country safari, at least once in their life. Skip the bullshit amusement park afterwards unless you have kids with you younger than 10.

If your looking for drinking spots, downtown WPB on Clematis street is where your going to want to go.

E..R Bradleys, Dr. Feelgoods, and Respectables are all solid bars from Thursday-Saturday.

IMO, clothes shopping is fairly wack in West Palm Beach. There is a BB in Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens.

The real gem is the Polo factory outlet in Sawgrass Mills that tends to have a good amount of main line polo blue, black, and purple merchandise.

I've been there a bunch of times and NEVER seen anything other than green and blue label polo (not made in italy)...in fact a lot of it seems to be that made for outlet polo crap that they love to stock their outlets with. Where am I going wrong?
frown.gif

bingebag

Reaction score
Silvere, you want to check the clearance racks. All the items that are neatly folded in displays are made for the outlet.

I picked up a navy Polo 2 sports coat (Made in Italy) there for $150. The 4 racks were almost entirely purple label shirts.

silvere2

Reaction score
Silvere, you want to check the clearance racks. All the items that are neatly folded in displays are made for the outlet.

I picked up a navy Polo 2 sports coat (Made in Italy) there for $150. The 4 racks were almost entirely purple label shirts.

Thanks so much! I'm actually making a trip up to sawgrass either this weekend or next, so I'll definitely check it out.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with 'mistreating' the animals. Simply put, if they're captive breeding then they will be refuted by every single actual sanctuary/conservationist society. I'm not saying that they are, but there are a lot of places out there that do captive breed and put these animals on display just to make a buck, so make sure these are actually rescued animals before giving them your money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads