• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nelton

Reaction score
X-post

Gentleman, I am going to a 1950s themed party on friday and I was wondering if this was along the right lines for the preppy look i'm going for...

DSC02444.jpg

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02445.jpg

DSC02446.jpg

Cheers Nick

NPHAF

Reaction score

X-post
Gentleman, I am going to a 1950s themed party on friday and I was wondering if this was along the right lines for the preppy look i'm going for...
DSC02444.jpg

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02445.jpg

DSC02446.jpg
Cheers Nick

Looks a bit more 1970's to me. I would go for something a bit more like this.
Grey tweed, charcoal/navy pants with a high rise, white shirt w/ turn down-collar, tie or bowtie (important).
Anything Richard Press would wear.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nothing about that picture says 1950s to me, unless out of the shot you have a giant greasy pompadour DA and a pair of Buddy Holly plastic geggs.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see 50's either. If I were you, I'd make it easy and go with a 50s SWD take rather than a lame attempt at a MC take:

See here for Universal Pictures' interpretation (not seen are Biff's Levis which are probably a '55 or '47 cut with cuffs up around the ankles):

53963.jpg

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

pompadour da?? what is that. I tried to get a tweed jacket but got outbid on ebay :( and what are geggs?

1. Greasy duck's arse - see John Travolta in 'Grease' or for your generation, Bruno Mars with that turn he did at the Oscars.

2. Geggs = glasses. Google a picture of Buddy Holly and what do you see as his signature accessory besides a Fender guitar?

If you want to dress for a theme party, go big or go home. Trying to dress in your day to day clothes with just a hint of a fifties vibe will make it look like you aren't really getting into the spirit of the exedrcise.

hyt123

Reaction score
Looks a bit more 1970's to me. I would go for something a bit more like this.
Grey tweed, charcoal/navy pants with a high rise, white shirt w/ turn down-collar, tie or bowtie (important).
Anything Richard Press would wear.

I thought that was Liam O for a second there

Nelton

Reaction score

1. Greasy duck's arse - see John Travolta in 'Grease' or for your generation, Bruno Mars with that turn he did at the Oscars.
2. Geggs = glasses. Google a picture of Buddy Holly and what do you see as his signature accessory besides a Fender guitar?
If you want to dress for a theme party, go big or go home. Trying to dress in your day to day clothes with just a hint of a fifties vibe will make it look like you aren't really getting into the spirit of the exedrcise.

Thanks for the advice, I will try and figure something out more 50s. coincidently the glasses I was wearing and will be wearing for the party are ray-ban wayfarers (prescription not sunglasses!) and so I'm half way with that and don't worry I know what Grease is, I'm not a big fan of all this top 40/Bruno Mars hype etc

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another GORGEOUS day:
IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

City Hats London
Ercoles modified OCBD
APC Tie
Epaulet Rivet Chino
Banana Republic Made in Italy shoes

I´d like to see that with a different tie. Shirt, pants and shoes are great, though.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Another GORGEOUS day:
IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

City Hats London
Ercoles modified OCBD
APC Tie
Epaulet Rivet Chino
Banana Republic Made in Italy shoes

Don't take this the wrong way, I usually like your stuff, but this...this is just wrong. I like the shoes, the belt and the chinos and the short sleeved contrast collar shirt may not be my cup but it works...but dude, that tie has to be the most horrible tie I've seen in my entire life. Apparently I am either the first or maybe even the only one to comment on this, but those colours are eye cancer material. I'd loose the tie completely with this outfit. Cheers

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads