• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 17 Nov. 2004, 5:19)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,18 Nov. 2004, 02:14
ernest, do you honestly think it costs more to make a Calatrava than say, a Sea Dweller? Â And if it does, do you think that accounts for the $7000 difference in price between the two watches?
Do you think it cost more to make a SD than a Seiko ? And if it does, is the difference of $4000 or 35 times more?
Actually it does cost more to make a mechanical Sea Dweller than a quartz Rolex, which I am assuming is what you are discussing. Â The Grand Seiko Spring Drive is about the same price as the Sea Dweller FWIW. BTW, I never said that a Rolex, or any high end watch, was a good value.
Stop with your grand Seiko. The equivalent by Seiko of the SD is the diver's 200 which is at 250$ Why are you talking about quartz? And? Where did I said you said such a thing?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 17 Nov. 2004, 8:43) Drugs are what make you alive, poor boy....
Êtes-vous dans l'amour avec moi? Vous continuez à me discuter.
Do you like my cufflinks? Stunning. Aren't they? Nice with my watch

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you like my cufflinks?

Stunning. Aren't they? Nice with my watch
Les cufflinks sont gentils. L'homme les portant est dans le goût douteux.

Super Fly

Reaction score
Among watch aficionados Grand Seiko is known to be one of the best brands. Seiko sought to produce a watch that is superior in every way to any Swiss watch. Most of their best models are not exported. Vintage models are beautiful. Sometimes it's good to look beyond the label. Note there are hard core collectors: seiko forum

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you can see the watch is not as small as you think it is :
PICT0018.jpg
montres1.jpg
montres2.jpg

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My streategy = to buy different :

- shape (oval, square, rectangle, circle),

- different metal (white gold, pink gold, steel)

- different color of dial (black, blue, grey, champagne)

- different brands (Omega, Patek, JL, Cartier, Boucheron, B&M)

- different strap (steel, bleu croco, black croco, brown croco, black box)

In order to be able to match my clothes my watches and my cufflinks.

I guess without a nice watch, it is impossible to be well dressed as something is missing...

PHV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,18 Nov. 2004, 03:34
Originally Posted by ernest,17 Nov. 2004, 5:19
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,18 Nov. 2004, 02:14
ernest, do you honestly think it costs more to make a Calatrava than say, a Sea Dweller? Â And if it does, do you think that accounts for the $7000 difference in price between the two watches?
Do you think it cost more to make a SD than a Seiko ? And if it does, is the difference of $4000 or 35 times more?

Actually it does cost more to make a mechanical Sea Dweller than a quartz Rolex, which I am assuming is what you are discussing. Â The Grand Seiko Spring Drive is about the same price as the Sea Dweller FWIW. BTW, I never said that a Rolex, or any high end watch, was a good value.

Stop with your grand Seiko. The equivalent by Seiko of the SD is the diver's 200 which is at 250$ Why are you talking about quartz? And? Where did I said you said such a thing?
Ta guele esti d' fif mon tabarnack... I can't say that in english so I'll say it in French. You probably didn't learn those words at Sorbonne however. Anyways guys, why are you still arguing with him? I read the first 6 pages then skipped ahead to the 17th, and nothing has changed. You're just fuelling his obsession with controversy. Just let him rot in the corner, as long as HE knows that he's a fraud. No point in wasting your life trying to convince someone that they are something they themselves know better than anyone else.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I was heavily involved in import performance prior to this job and was doing some professional drag and road course events. I do dive as well, but I don't think it's necessary to dive to wear dive watches. I personally wear sport/dive watches most of the time because I like the look, regardless of their intended purpose. I'm not saying the Patek is too small but even midsize watches are small on me. My original 1986 Tag F1 looks like a toy on my wrist. Of your watches I like the JLC the best.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ta guele esti d' fif mon tabarnack...

I can't say that in english so I'll say it in French. You probably didn't learn those words at Sorbonne however.

Anyways guys, why are you still arguing with him? I read the first 6 pages then skipped ahead to the 17th, and nothing has changed. You're just fuelling his obsession with controversy. Just let him rot in the corner, as long as HE knows that he's a fraud. No point in wasting your life trying to convince someone that they are something they themselves know better than anyone else.
Thanks for coming, now you can go back from where you come...

Are your all 50 messages as interesting as this one or have you made a special effort for me?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I was heavily involved in import performance prior to this job and was doing some professional drag and road course events.  I do dive as well, but I don't think it's necessary to dive to wear dive watches.  I personally wear sport/dive watches most of the time because I like the look, regardless of their intended purpose.  I'm not saying the Patek is too small but even midsize watches are small on me.  My original 1986 Tag F1 looks like a toy on my wrist.  Of your watches I like the JLC the best.
But you are not the center of the univers.

You can judge a watch without imagining it on you.

Just the watch. Not you.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My original 1986 Tag F1 looks like a toy on my wrist.  Of your watches I like the JLC the best.
I guess you imagine yourself bigger/taller than you are in reality...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do dive as well, but I don't think it's necessary to dive to wear dive watches.  
Indeed but at least not wear it with a suit as you look it looks tacky.

For casual with a leather jacket it can be nice.

With a suit it looks like a farmer who is dressed up to go to church...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Umm, I'm not imagining myself larger or smaller than I am, small/midsize sport watches look small on my wrist, it's not that hard to understand. I evaluate watches on whether I personally like them or not. I don't think we're covering any new territory on this thread, so I'm done. You have a nice collection of watches, go enjoy them.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm, I'm not imagining myself larger or smaller than I am, small/midsize sport watches look small on my wrist, it's not that hard to understand.  I evaluate watches on whether I personally like them or not.  I don't think we're covering any new territory on this thread, so I'm done.  You have a nice collection of watches, go enjoy them.
I know I need a sport watch for casual, may be a Rolex GMT but with leather strap

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 18 Nov. 2004, 08:00) Ta guele esti d' fif mon tabarnack... I can't say that in english so I'll say it in French. You probably didn't learn those words at Sorbonne however. Anyways guys, why are you still arguing with him? I read the first 6 pages then skipped ahead to the 17th, and nothing has changed. You're just fuelling his obsession with controversy. Just let him rot in the corner, as long as HE knows that he's a fraud. No point in wasting your life trying to convince someone that they are something they themselves know better than anyone else.
Thanks for coming, now you can go back from where you come... Are your all  50 messages as interesting as this one or have you made a special effort for me?
O, so one's amount of messages is indicative of the quality of their posts? Figures. A dumb uneducated pleb like yourself invariably values quantity over quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads