• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch gift for wife -- advice needed

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one that I can't believe I forgot before is the Bvlgari Diagono series in rubber and aluminum. Even the larger sizes can be had for your price range BNIB from an AD and they're nice for a woman since they're larger but also incredibly light. The mid-sized Cartier Ligne 21 can probably also be had for that price, though it comes as quartz-only.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the jlc reverso ladies manual is not that expensive.

Cylon

Reaction score
The reverso is a hard sell for the ladies.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Michele? Its a fashion brand (Quartz.. yeck), but girls seem to really like them and they can be found new for $1000-$2000. I think they fit the bill in terms of styling (large, but not too chunky). They may not have 20 year longevity but it could be a nice solution for now

Michele-Deco-Stainless.jpg

11005337.jpg

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favorite, which can probably be had in your price range brand new from an AD, is the women's version of the Speedmaster. It's very current given trends in watches but it's also one of the most classic designs around.
+1
I got this one for the wife's 40th and she loves it!

this watch is only $2k?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The previous generation ladies' Speedmaster could be had for around that price (after discount) but the current one is a bit more.

The one pictured above is the previous version:

http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-speedmaster-reduced-38347940.html

But the new one has gone up in price (it's now chronometer-certified and has a date) somewhat. The changes do not, in my opinion, justify that substantial an increase, particularly since Omega didn't outfit this one with a coaxial movement:

http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-speedmaster-32433384004001.html

Authenticwatches.com is typically a good proxy for what you can get in terms of discount from an AD with a little finesse but no introduction/established relationship. It wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that some dealers will still have the old one available.

A men's quartz Constellation, as I think I mentioned earlier, could also be a good choice and its size is perfect for a woman's wrist:

http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-constellation-12310356002001.html

vaulter1

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat as you getting a watch for my wife's 30th (thankfully it's not till September so I have some time). Here's my rambling 2c:
You mention that the Datejust is out of your price range but, depending on what vintage and options (diamond dial, papers and box, etc) you require they do actually dip down to $2000 and below sometimes. Like this: http://www.network54.com/Forum/2076...ust+16030+with+certificate+paper+and+booklets I tend to like the rolexes and the Omegas due to their reliability and 'lineage' but that isn't meant to badmouth any of the other suggestions or brands out there.

Watches are a VERY personal thing and unless you:
a) know your wife's tastes VERY well or
b) don't mind consulting with her for suggestions/hints -
I would tred carefully in choosing, lest it eventually lives in the jewelry drawer and not on her wrist.

Another less popular watch (from a collectors point of view, which is good for you) would be the Omega speedmaster reduced. It regularly can be found for under $2k and sports the same 'features' and looks as its much more expensive cousin the 'moonwatch' which is over $3k. At 38mm in size, it's not terribly small but you did mention the 36mm Rolex so it all depends on whether your wife would like a larger or smaller watch.

Regardless of what brand you decide upon, if you're buying used: Buy the seller not the watch! Keep an eye on the following link http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=watches which is an aggregator of a number of watch forums to see what's currently on offer. The best deals are normally private to private instead of places like Chrono24 but you do take on more of a risk in dealing direct.

Once you finally decide on the watch, let us know and pop up a wrist-shot too :nodding:

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually in the same boat as you getting a watch for my wife's 30th (thankfully it's not till September so I have some time). Here's my rambling 2c:
You mention that the Datejust is out of your price range but, depending on what vintage and options (diamond dial, papers and box, etc) you require they do actually dip down to $2000 and below sometimes. Like this: http://www.network54.com/Forum/2076...ust+16030+with+certificate+paper+and+booklets I tend to like the rolexes and the Omegas due to their reliability and 'lineage' but that isn't meant to badmouth any of the other suggestions or brands out there.
Watches are a VERY personal thing and unless you:
a) know your wife's tastes VERY well or
b) don't mind consulting with her for suggestions/hints -
I would tred carefully in choosing, lest it eventually lives in the jewelry drawer and not on her wrist.
Another less popular watch (from a collectors point of view, which is good for you) would be the Omega speedmaster reduced. It regularly can be found for under $2k and sports the same 'features' and looks as its much more expensive cousin the 'moonwatch' which is over $3k. At 38mm in size, it's not terribly small but you did mention the 36mm Rolex so it all depends on whether your wife would like a larger or smaller watch.
Regardless of what brand you decide upon, if you're buying used: Buy the seller not the watch! Keep an eye on the following link http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=watches which is an aggregator of a number of watch forums to see what's currently on offer. The best deals are normally private to private instead of places like Chrono24 but you do take on more of a risk in dealing direct.
Once you finally decide on the watch, let us know and pop up a wrist-shot too :nodding:

Only the older style Speedmaster Reduced can be found new for about $2k and that one is 35mm.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JLC Reverso. Cannot go wrong.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But which could you do if you wanted to get her a new one? Other than the 21 series I don't know of any that can be had for $2k. What do you think of Bvlgari? Those can be had for somewhat less depending on the model.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like foos choice as well, but while you're at it spend a little more, she's your wife. I have no personal experience with bvlgari, but my fiancé likes their diamonds.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC Reverso. Cannot go wrong.

I love that watch but I'm not sure it's right in this circumstance for two reasons: it might be a bit out of the OP's price range and it seems as though he wants something a little chunkier and less delicate in appearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads