• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing Machines

chenc

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if the type of washing machine used at home makes a difference. What should I be looking for when shopping for a washing machine? And dryer?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look for one that loads from the front in lieu of the top. Also, an energy efficient model. Something the wife won't mind using every other day.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Look for one that loads from the front in lieu of the top. Also, an energy efficient model. Something the wife won't mind using every other day.

lol8[1].gif

I'd also recommend one that doesn't have the spool in the middle, especially if you launder your shirts at home.

mccvi

Reaction score
I have this one in robins egg blue (i think they also make it in espresso)...
washboard.gif
Old school, but reliable.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcijojo
Miele baby!! Anything else is a compromise. Also, check out www.washerhelp.co.uk for some helpful tips and info.

Happy washing
musicboohoo[1].gif

+1. Expensive, but nothing else compares.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Front loader.

Something with a programmable soak time would be nice also (so you could start it, have it soak overnight, and have the cycle be finished by morning).

kcijojo

Reaction score
I want to add that I got a Miele washer in 1994, it has never once broken-down and is still going strong. I really want to replace it with a newer model but it just will not die, this beast is built like a tank!! Have a look at www.dryerhelp.co.uk for dryer help.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcijojo
Miele baby!! Anything else is a compromise.

+100
I've had a Miele for 5-6 years now, still going strong. I see a definite difference in terms of minimized wear on my shirts especially.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Samnsung is good if Miele is too pricey.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I'm actually from the town where Miele comes from. I think their overall quality is not as good as it used to be, maybe because a number of their products are produced elsewhere. Still, they probably build the washing mashines, that are the most gentle with your clothes. This new honeycomb-structure for the drum seems to be a great idea. We used to have a Miele for over 30 years, but when that broke down and we had to get a replacement fast, we had to downgrade to Whirlpool. That's okay, but still classes below the Miele. If you can afford it, go for it.

runner-guy

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a high efficiency washer about a year ago and it's one of the best purchases I ever made. They don't pull on your clothes like the old style washers, use less water, and require less drying time for your clothes.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Front load! I have an Asko and if you did to me what that does to the clothes, I'd get dizzy and fall out just like the dirt does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads