1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Washing Machines

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chenc, Jan 15, 2010.

1. chenc

chenc Well-Known Member

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if the type of washing machine used at home makes a difference. What should I be looking for when shopping for a washing machine? And dryer?

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

Look for one that loads from the front in lieu of the top. Also, an energy efficient model. Something the wife won't mind using every other day.

3. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

Look for one that loads from the front in lieu of the top. Also, an energy efficient model. Something the wife won't mind using every other day.

[​IMG]

I'd also recommend one that doesn't have the spool in the middle, especially if you launder your shirts at home.

4. kcijojo

kcijojo Member

Miele baby!! Anything else is a compromise. Also, check out www.washerhelp.co.uk for some helpful tips and info.

Happy washing [​IMG] .

5. mccvi

mccvi Well-Known Member

I have this one in robins egg blue (i think they also make it in espresso)... [​IMG] Old school, but reliable.

6. TintinATL

TintinATL Well-Known Member

Miele baby!! Anything else is a compromise. Also, check out www.washerhelp.co.uk for some helpful tips and info.

Happy washing [​IMG] .

+1. Expensive, but nothing else compares.

7. ferguscan

ferguscan Well-Known Member

Front loader.

Something with a programmable soak time would be nice also (so you could start it, have it soak overnight, and have the cycle be finished by morning).

8. kcijojo

kcijojo Member

I want to add that I got a Miele washer in 1994, it has never once broken-down and is still going strong. I really want to replace it with a newer model but it just will not die, this beast is built like a tank!! Have a look at www.dryerhelp.co.uk for dryer help.

9. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

Miele baby!! Anything else is a compromise.

+100
    I've had a Miele for 5-6 years now, still going strong. I see a definite difference in terms of minimized wear on my shirts especially.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Samnsung is good if Miele is too pricey.

11. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Well-Known Member

I'm actually from the town where Miele comes from. I think their overall quality is not as good as it used to be, maybe because a number of their products are produced elsewhere. Still, they probably build the washing mashines, that are the most gentle with your clothes. This new honeycomb-structure for the drum seems to be a great idea. We used to have a Miele for over 30 years, but when that broke down and we had to get a replacement fast, we had to downgrade to Whirlpool. That's okay, but still classes below the Miele. If you can afford it, go for it.

12. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

My wife and I bought a high efficiency washer about a year ago and it's one of the best purchases I ever made. They don't pull on your clothes like the old style washers, use less water, and require less drying time for your clothes.

13. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

Front load! I have an Asko and if you did to me what that does to the clothes, I'd get dizzy and fall out just like the dirt does.