• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vogel and other shoes

Looking to improve

Reaction score
You should go to Antwerp or Brussels and visit the Weston store there Â
smile.gif
. Â Nice shoes there and the Perry designed Westons are a breath of fresh air compared to Greens Â
biggrin.gif
Well, I might go there, but I'm also trying to think of which suede colour Edward Green offers that resembles the posted colour so I can then maybe order the 'Windermere'. But there are many more Greens on my wish list, which I don't really need. So all long term 'projects'... Actually, how do the Westons in question compare to Green's 'Windermere'? MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 22 June 2004, 02:19) You should go to Antwerp or Brussels and visit the Weston store there Â
smile.gif
. Â Nice shoes there and the Perry designed Westons are a breath of fresh air compared to Greens Â
biggrin.gif
Well, I might go there, but I'm also trying to think of which suede colour Edward Green offers that resembles the posted colour so I can then maybe order the 'Windermere'. But there are many more Greens on my wish list, which I don't really need. So all long term 'projects'... Actually, how do the Westons in question compare to Green's 'Windermere'? MtB
Sorry, no experience with the E.G Windmere. Maybe Jcusey (who owns Westons and Greens) may have the models and be able to help.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Sorry, no experience with the E.G Windmere.  Maybe Jcusey (who owns Westons and Greens) may have the models and be able to help.
Well, I have a pair of Windermere myself (black calf), and am wondering more about which colour of suede to choose. But any comparisons on the fit are more than welcome.

MtB

*Edited for a typing error

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 28 June 2004, 02:22) Sorry, no experience with the E.G Windmere. Â Maybe Jcusey (who owns Westons and Greens) may have the models and be able to help.
Well, I have a pair of Windermere myself (black calf), and am wondering more about which colour of suede to coose. But any comparisons on the fit are more than welcome. MtB
It is a pity that the last Weston dealer in Nederlands dropped them (on P.C ). From the picture, my demi chasse is the same colour suede, but I don't remember the name. Next time I'm at a E.G retailer, I'll look at the swatch book to see what comes closest.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
It is a pity that the last Weston dealer in Nederlands dropped them (on P.C ). Â From the picture, my demi chasse is the same colour suede, but I don't remember the name. Â Next time I'm at a E.G retailer, I'll look at the swatch book to see what comes closest.
If you would, thanks.
thumbs-up.gif
. Not to influence you, but my guess would probably be the clove suede. MtB

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I might go there, but I'm also trying to think of which suede colour Edward Green offers that resembles the posted colour so I can then maybe order the 'Windermere'. But there are many more Greens on my wish list, which I don't really need. So all long term 'projects'...

Actually, how do the Westons in question compare to Green's 'Windermere'?
It looks to me like Windermere is pretty much the exact same pattern as the Westons pictured. You would, of course, have a choice of lasts with the Windermere that you wouldn't with the Westons.

I'm actually not that familiar with EG suedes. Two possibilities, based on pictures I've seen, are fox suede and cognac suede, but you'll probably want to see swatches.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
It looks to me like Windermere is pretty much the exact same pattern as the Westons pictured. You would, of course, have a choice of lasts with the Windermere that you wouldn't with the Westons.

I'm actually not that familiar with EG suedes. Two possibilities, based on pictures I've seen, are fox suede and cognac suede, but you'll probably want to see swatches.
The similarity of the model was what made me think about the Green, rather than the Weston. I actually didn't know that Green offered more last choices than Weston, so that IS something to take into account. I also didn't know that Green had a cognac suede, and I have spent some time with their swatch book. Next time I'll have a real close look and ask around at the store where I buy my Greens. (Or I could just email Green) Thank you for the feedback.

MtB

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually didn't know that Green offered more last choices than Weston, so that IS something to take into account. I also didn't know that Green had a cognac suede, and I have spent some time with their swatch book.
My understanding is that Weston doesn't allow you to switch lasts on their special orders, whereas EG will let you use any (or just about any) last in their inventory. I'm not that familiar with Weston special order, so you might want to get a second opinion from someone who is.

I only mentioned cognac suede because someone in the Edward Green sale thread posted an e-mail from EG saying that a particular model was available in cognac suede. I've never seen that description in an EG catalogue. Perhaps the "official" name is something different.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
My understanding is that Weston doesn't allow you to switch lasts on their special orders, whereas EG will let you use any (or just about any) last in their inventory. I'm not that familiar with Weston special order, so you might want to get a second opinion from someone who is.
I knew about Greens flexibility concerning different lasts in their special order program. I didn't know about Weston's (supposed?) lack thereof. That was what I meant with my post. (Note to self: Be more precise in what you write. *Slap wrist*
cry.gif
). I would be interested to hear about the Weston special order program (if any) and the possibillity of 'last-switching'.
I only mentioned cognac suede because someone in the Edward Green sale thread posted an e-mail from EG saying that a particular model was available in cognac suede. I've never seen that description in an EG catalogue. Perhaps the "official" name is something different.
I've read that same thread now. The way I read the post, was as an verbatim quote from an E.G. e-mail. But the possibility exists that E.G. used a description of a colour, rather than their name for it. In which case my original guess of clove suede pops up again. I should mention here that I have a pair of Malvern in clove suede and it starts to fit the medium-brown-with-reddish-hue description more and more. So I may already be closer to finding what I'd like... Â
smile.gif
MtB.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This king of leather is for grand father in Paris, are you a grand father?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ernest, Ernest, Ernest. You're slipping. I expected better invective than that.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
When will it be possible to post a 'drooling smilie'? I think these are simply beautiful.
wow.gif
MtB
I really love those shoes and they're getting considerable wear time this summer. I think what makes the shoe even nicer, is the fact that the sides of the heels and soles have not been stained dark brown or black. Edward Green will also duplicate that look for special orders, if you decide to go with them over Weston. I was orginally going to order the EG York (3 eyelet blucher) in a light color when I saw this at the Weston store in NY and decided not to wait the 2-3 months for an EG special order.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I had always been led to believe that Paris was on the cutting edge of fashion. Ernest has thoroughly destroyed such a notion.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Ernest has thoroughly destroyed such a notion.
Why? With all those hip grandfathers in Paris? Â
wink.gif
I really love those shoes and they're getting considerable wear time this summer. Â I think what makes the shoe even nicer, is the fact that the sides of the heels and soles have not been stained dark brown or black. Â Edward Green will also duplicate that look for special orders, if you decide to go with them over Weston. Â I was orginally going to order the EG York (3 eyelet blucher) in a light color when I saw this at the Weston store in NY and decided not to wait the 2-3 months for an EG special order.
I hadn't even noticed the sides were not stained, but indeed it does make them a bit more striking. And if E.G. will do that with special orders, well... I just have to decide which colour suede I want. As an aside, was the 'immediate gratification' your only reason for choosing the Westons? MtB

Looking to improve

Reaction score
No, I'm not a grandfather. I'm actually just a bit older that you are and I'm not afraid to be noticed. So I wear suede shoes and (even) braces. I recall you posting something about braces and hearing they are for grandfathers on Andy's forum? As a reminder, your post was on June 9th at 19:04:43. Maybe suede shoes are not your style? MtB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads