• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billymax

Reaction score

This forum cracks me up. What do you expect, exactly? A new, super rare one-off leather every time? People seem to forget that Viberg is still a very small operation. As more people become more and more aware of them and their market grows, they need to continue sticking with what works and what is in demand: the 2030 service boot that really has always been their best seller. My guess is the MTO's to be done through the forum have limited days as well. 

In any event, the new icy mocha boot is the only current CXL offering on stitch down. Looks to me like they are filling a gap in their inventory by offering them. 

No I don't expect a rare one off leather. I don't even like rare, one off leathers. I also understand that there is a need to manufacture a staple model that sells regularly. Viberg has always been a small company and was smaller 4-5 years ago when they they seemed to offer more diversified models, along with the MTO. VB is an awesome family owned business with a world class product and seems to be evolving quickly into a new customerbase. While that process unfolds, things change: operations become more efficient, MTO disappears, more common product offerings, stitch down to GYW, and older customers (me) will ***** and complain. Despite the bitchy tone of my last post, I love VB and will continue to own whatever comes out that I like. For now, I still find plenty of VB boots that I love; it just takes a little more effort to find product from different sources. With that said, yes, the Service Boot on 2030 is still boring.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 6.5E or 7D in Barrie, 7D Trubalance - what size should I take in 1035 both with insoles and without?

I would say Size 7 on the 1035 should be good, but what kind of insoles are you talking about? I sized Viberg the same as my Alden Barrie/Trubalance sizing and I haven't had any issues with it.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

110 on Vibram, such a comfortable combo after a long time wearing 2030 on dainite/leather soles.

I would buy the mocha chukkas in 9.5 immediately if I could find them.  They look great wms68

Are these how they originally shipped or did you by any chance dye them? I picked up a pair of these in the sand color but they are reminding me too much of construction worker boots and a darker brown works better for me personally. Contemplating dyeing them a darker shade...

Mon Dieu

Reaction score
Are these how they originally shipped or did you by any chance dye them? I picked up a pair of these in the sand color but they are reminding me too much of construction worker boots and a darker brown works better for me personally. Contemplating dyeing them a darker shade...

Original color, CabounXViberg believe its still being made. You could try "dubbing/waxing"

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Did all that happen naturally? Where did you wear them for all that to occur? Those are nice, though I do have mixed feelings about it personally. I guess I'm a little too OCD to be able to embrace such inconsistencies on my boots. Maybe I'll like it better when it's more evenly roughed up. Or maybe I'll keep mine waxed, or just strategically aged.

Yeah, all naturally (didn't use sandpaper or anything). I hiked, did some heavy yard work and in general, used them as beater, work boots. I wasn't careful going up stairs or such as I usually am with my other boots, so if I brushed up against concrete/etc. I didn't mind. They actually scuff pretty easily. You can just run your fingernail down it and it will scuff.

I'm OCD enough that I have all my boots/shoes in a spreadsheet! I also tend to work on scuffs when I get them. I brush before and after I wear boots and usually remove any scuffs before putting them away. I guess I'm just treating these boots quite differently. It's kind of nice in a way not having to worry about scuffing or banging up your footwear.

I've got a pair of OSB roughout Trench boots that I waxed using HDLP. They didn't quite come out looking like my waxed flesh Vibergs. I thought I read that that's actually a wheat paste or something.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
No I don't expect a rare one off leather. I don't even like rare, one off leathers. I also understand that there is a need to manufacture a staple model that sells regularly. Viberg has always been a small company and was smaller 4-5 years ago when they they seemed to offer more diversified models, along with the MTO. VB is an awesome family owned business with a world class product and seems to be evolving quickly into a new customerbase. While that process unfolds, things change: operations become more efficient, MTO disappears, more common product offerings, stitch down to GYW, and older customers (me) will ***** and complain. Despite the bitchy tone of my last post, I love VB and will continue to own whatever comes out that I like. For now, I still find plenty of VB boots that I love; it just takes a little more effort to find product from different sources. With that said, yes, the Service Boot on 2030 is still boring.

EXACTLY.

ennui

Reaction score

I would say Size 7 on the 1035 should be good, but what kind of insoles are you talking about?  I sized Viberg the same as my Alden Barrie/Trubalance sizing and I haven't had any issues with it.

Thanks for the response. I don't normally use insoles but I have flat feet so was thinking maybe I should. So you think a Viberg 7 should be fine without insoles? Would I need to wear thick socks? And I guess I might need a 7.5 if I wanted an insole?

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Yeah, all naturally (didn't use sandpaper or anything). I hiked, did some heavy yard work and in general, used them as beater, work boots. I wasn't careful going up stairs or such as I usually am with my other boots, so if I brushed up against concrete/etc. I didn't mind. They actually scuff pretty easily. You can just run your fingernail down it and it will scuff.

I'm OCD enough that I have all my boots/shoes in a spreadsheet! I also tend to work on scuffs when I get them. I brush before and after I wear boots and usually remove any scuffs before putting them away. I guess I'm just treating these boots quite differently. It's kind of nice in a way not having to worry about scuffing or banging up your footwear.

I've got a pair of OSB roughout Trench boots that I waxed using HDLP. They didn't quite come out looking like my waxed flesh Vibergs. I thought I read that that's actually a wheat paste or something.

I love that you have a spreadsheet! I need to do that!!

I think your plan is a good one...just wear them and not worry about it. I think I will end up doing the same, if for no other reason than not having the time to deal with the upkeep. And that's really what this waxed leather is all about. I have noticed that even the most minor brush against a hard surface will result in a scuff. The great thing about the oil tanned leather is that those scuffs just rub away. But with the waxed flesh, you just gotta embrace it I guess.

wms68

Reaction score

Original color, CabounXViberg believe its still being made. You could try "dubbing/waxing"  

Yes, here was the original full set, they have recently done a rerun but with a slightly different Vibram sole (2060 vs 2021 i think - the newer sole is the oil resisting one with a less pronounced heel) and a pull tab, however not seen them in the Mocha.

wms68

Reaction score
Here are Mr Porter Natural CXL after a couple of months of wear and some VSC

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are Mr Porter Natural CXL after a couple of months of wear and some VSC

I hope the VSC darkened them as I have no interest in mine turning that dark naturally... not that I dont love the look of yours but I have several boots in that color already.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
err wrong thread - delete

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads