• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I have been following this thread on and off and went back and read a good bit of it today. I am beginning to have a local tailor make stuff for me. What do you consider the minimum weight for a tweed sport coat for the fall? I like some of the stuff in H&S Sherry Tweed but none of it is heavier than 11 oz.

GucciKid

Reaction score
It will really depend on whether you run hot or cold. Also, whether you will be outside a lot or spend a lot of time indoors.

I prefer most of my tweeds a bit heavier (around 14 oz) but there should be nothing wrong with 11. However I would think of this as more of a mid-season weight than a winter weight.

If you are just starting it is certainly a versatile weight, and then you could get some heavier tweeds in the future.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on H3 and F15 as a sports coat?

dan'l

Reaction score
I recently saw something made up in a similar tone, but as an overcoat, and thought it looked badass:

I'd also like a reddish SC and I'll have to check out those M&E fabrics myself!

dan'l

Reaction score
I was perusing the Marling & Evans website and one of the links forwarded me to the English Weaving Company:

http://www.englishweavers.co.uk/

Any of you have experience ordering from them? I saw some interesting fabrics in their Zaccheus collection.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO an actual tweed jacket should be at least 14 ounces. You can get lambswool and other lighter weight fabrics that make for fine odd jackets, but an actual lightweight tweed doesn't make a lot of sense. If you want sub-14 ounces, there are a lot of other odd jacket fabrics out there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with Arch.

As for the red sport coat, that'll make you look like a hotel doorman, IMO.

Last edited:

Stencil

Reaction score
I saw a Boglioli SC recently in an almost blood red Shetland herringbone; didn't like it at all. Very loud, very Pitti Uomo.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What's a good color for a donegal sports coat, what about the purple?

I think we probably have different tastes. I would go for brown or grey, but I imagine you would consider that too boring.

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
I think that green Donegal makes up quite nice, as well.

Stencil

Reaction score
Aside from brown and gray, I like the navy (M3) and the olives, though frankly I like my olive tweeds with more traditional checks rather than as donegals.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think we probably have different tastes. I would go for brown or grey, but I imagine you would consider that too boring.

I think that green Donegal makes up quite nice, as well.

Aside from brown and gray, I like the navy (M3) and the olives, though frankly I like my olive tweeds with more traditional checks rather than as donegals.

False, I don't consider the colors boring, however I have a dark complexion and brown on brown is a tricky color to play with. If i am going to do a grey sport coat I believe it should be a herringbone pattern. Shades of purple, green, and cobalt blue does my skin tone justice. With that said I hate blue sports coats and already have a green sports coat. I don't feel the need to create another at the moment given my budget. Hence me wanting to test out purple, @dieworkwear maybe you'll be able to sneak a peek on Steeds next visit in October.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the idea of considering skin tone in dressing is way overrated, but as they say -- YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads