• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousering

1. 15oz cavalry twill. Had trouble getting an accurate-ish shot of the colour so I shot it with yesterday's Russell. It is very tan.

DSCN0801.jpg

2. Mid-grey woolen flannel. Double-side. About a million ounces. A little darker in real life and much more character.

DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

Coatings

Heavyweight herringbone. Maybe 20 oz. Colour is composed of very dark brown, and the other bone is rust and green to give a light brown effect. This will maybe become an ulster someday.

DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0798.jpg

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
The Russell looks interesting. Who makes it?

Not sure. It came with a tag that says "Saddleworth", but I can't tell if that refers to the maker, or merely the region of Yorkshire where it was made.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Just received this:

John G. Hardy, 15/16 oz mid gray woolen flannel

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ Awesome!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really like that dark brown herringbone coating.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I just ballooned the wrong side of my balance sheet at the ebay store. Most notable is an overcoat length of camel colored Moorbrook coating and a four-ply fresco, as well as some other things I don't need and will never use.

Whose eBay store?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Whose eBay store?

Someone will post a link, but it is called British Fabrics. The guy who runs it is named Howard and he carries tons of remnants from the English and Scottish mills. Buying from him takes experience as some of what he carries is junk and some is excellent.
I have gotten some beautiful 4 ply cashmere for example but also some completely crap tweeds. The prices are excellent but the colors in the photographs are poor. Basically, you are taking a chance but he carries good stuff.

Other good things I've gotten are some wool and kid mohair blends, Moorbrook coating, some great high twist suitings, great 150s gray worsteds, etc. On the other hand, I am going to give some of the crap away to a local hatmaker.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfunded liabilities for Spring/Summer 2008.
blush.gif
I think I will probably have the suit made first. I could possibly use the jacket more, but my wife doesn't like it. She says she thinks it looks like a tablecloth. Not sure where she got that from!
DSC09296.jpg

White linen and blue striped linen - these will be my fourth and fifth linen or linen/cotton shirt from Geneva. I think I have a problem.
DSC09299.jpg

Ermenegildo Zegna 80% cashmere, 20% silk. A phenomenal hand. Light but feels like it has real guts.
DSC09308.jpg

3 ply wool and cashmere with a nice porous weave. I think they said this one was Wodehouse, but after the 20th or so gorgeous material piled up, I lost track. One of them--this may have been it--was for Kiton.
DSC09314.jpg

DSC09315.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Woodehouse and Zegna are spectacular chorse!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Unfunded liabilities for Spring/Summer 2008.
blush.gif
I think I will probably have the suit made first. I could possibly use the jacket more, but my wife doesn't like it. She says she thinks it looks like a tablecloth. Not sure where she got that from!
DSC09296.jpg

White linen and blue striped linen - these will be my fourth and fifth linen or linen/cotton shirt...

I like the linen, a lot. I need to get a white linen shirt for a sport coat for spring. How were you going to detail them? I was thinking semi spread, soft stayless collar with two button barrel cuffs.

The jacket is very summery. I have a few jackets from Zegna in cashmere. One caveat, and they are very soft and comfortable to wear but they do not wear particularly well. That doesnt mean I dont enjoy mine thoroughly, I do.

That will make up well and will look good with those linen shirts or even a polo shirt in a good quality wool or cotton (or cashmere). I would get medium colored to medium-dark grey pants for those in a light weight worsted flannel. Perhaps you can assure your wife that I have seen many of these jackets made up (my tailor uses a lot of Zegna cashmere for his clients) and they come out looking well. Zegna as a company has a very good eye for colors and patterns.

I think your wife

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Chorse, I have that same light brown with the sky blue window. That's not for Kiton, that's Woodehouse.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, Eustace. I had only intended to buy one or two lengths of shirting, but thought I'd take a look at some summer cloth my wardrobe is pretty shallow when it comes to summer suits. Then at the last minute they got me with the Zegna. It was too nice to pass up, and a pretty good deal at 1/6th the book cost. Tip Top is a very dangerous place.

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I like the linen, a lot. I need to get a white linen shirt for a sport coat for spring. How were you going to detail them? I was thinking semi spread, soft stayless collar with two button barrel cuffs.

I was thinking medium spread for both, maybe a little wider spread on the white linen. I have two linen/cotton buttondowns (one with a flapped pocket) and think that may be enough for now. Almost all my shirts have double button barrel cuffs; I like a slightly longer cuff and don't like how they can pivot on a single button.

Originally Posted by Manton
Chorse, I have that same light brown with the sky blue window. That's not for Kiton, that's Woodehouse.

Is yours made up, or still just a liability? If made, how does it wear?

Gotcha. It must have been another. They had a wild light grey with mango orange windowpane--something I could see yfyf wearing--but it wasn't versatile enough for me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Is yours made up, or still just a liability?

Just an apple in my eye. I've been getting suits for so long that I have not gotten a new odd jacket in years, so my energies (and finances) are going in that direction for the moment.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Just an apple in my eye. I've been getting suits for so long that I have not gotten a new odd jacket in years, so my energies (and finances) are going in that direction for the moment.

I was wondering if it could be used as an odd-jacket--perhaps with lighter colored linen or cotton pants. It seemed on the borderline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads