1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Well-Known Member

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Perhaps for a lifetime David!

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Proof that there are some things that not even AA illustrations can make look good.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

It is a herringbone, but it also looks a lot like parquet to me...

5. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

Could anyone recommend a brown houndstooth cloth like on this jacket? I can't seem to find one without windowpane / overcheck.

Doesn't necessarily have to be tweed. Faux would be better, I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

Marling & Evans have some shades in their Naturals range: http://www.marlingandevansltd.co.uk/collections/naturals/naturals.html

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Stugotes, if you're going to get a jacket like that, please make sure that the scale of the pattern is much larger than the one you posted.

8. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

The London Lounge houndstooth is available again and is a larger scale than the one pictured.

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Agreed.

10. S K M

S K M Well-Known Member

11. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

May I ask why? Is it a distaste for the fabric or that the fabric doesn't suit itself for an odd jacket?

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Patterns that are too small such as houndstooth and POW often have an odd 3D kind of visual effect. They also seem a little too Jos A Banks especially if in worsted format. Here is the LL version someone mentioned before which I have as well and love.

[​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I will be looking at fabric books this evening. Am I the only one who gets mild anxiety thinking about it? :confused:

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

So the next two ideas I have for things to have made are a gun club or other small check and navy bird's eye/nail head/barleycorn/hop sack/something. I've been snooping around looking at things but I'm definitely a novice with regards to cloth. There are also people who will sell me apparently pretty cloth online, but I have no idea who is reputable and who is not. Given that, I figured I would seek advice here.

I like the examples I've seen of Barbera for Lesser (specifically the 26072), but I would imagine that at this point that's going to be really difficult to come by. The LL gun clubs - the Alden and the Violet - are both pretty, but I live in Texas and there's no way in hell I'll be able to wear anything 15oz+ for more than a month of a year. I'm hoping for something in the 8-10oz range, though I'll admit that if I could find a length of the 26072 I would jump on it.

For the navy, I know even less. Really I want something with some visual interest that could be worn around here. First thing I looked at was the Fresco book, but I was not overwhelmed. I love the heathered look of donegal, as I understand it is a winter fabric and the summers here are far longer than the winters. I saw a great bird's eye from Ariston that I got a picture of, but had to run and forgot to grab the book and article numbers for it.

Any of you have any thoughts or recommendations?

16. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

No.

17. rob

rob Well-Known Member

It's the opposite for me. But that could be because I've never done it alone; I've had my tailor showing me things based off my suggestions. As it happens, I usually change my mind and get something completely different that what I started out looking for. I don't have anything approaching the specific knowledge that the posters have here. I can rarely name the maker of the fabric after I've ordered it. My tailor, he remembers.

Rob

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

You could probably use a new hobby.

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I cannot afford one. :)

2 people like this.
  20. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

The Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth book and the Worsted Alsport are both worth a look for sport coats. Neither are summer wear in the American sense, but if you don't need tons of breathing space they can be quite attractive.

The patterns of navy you're thinking of for suits are harder. They don't tend to get made in lighter weights. One exception is the Lesser 120s 10oz book-- which isn't the hardest wearing thing around, but tailors very well. It's more of a 3-season thing unless you have very cold blood, though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.