• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100's is not thread count but references the diameter of the yarns used to weave the cloth. It is related to the micron count measurement of the size of the threads.
Quality supers are just as durable as any other cloth but there are many variables to make a cloth of quality. Not all cloths are created equal.

Discussion of cloth/wool quality - not just the diameter but also the benefits of length, strength, crimp and luster.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

You should take a look at the H.Lesser 13 oz and 11/12 oz books. My HL 13 oz are what I would call "workhorse" suit fabrics

About 1/2 my coats are made from HL, but I'm not sure if Samuelsohn uses them. Holland&Sherry is more commonly distributed and the Crispaire is a great travel cloth.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other things you may want to look at: Dugdale Brothers' Royal Classics and English classics, Harrison's P&B Universal and, for jacketing, Porter and Harding Glorious 12th or John Hardy Worsted Alsport. The latter are worsted faux-tweeds. Otherwise, you could try a hopsack cloth for texture and surface interest, although some might find it fuddy-duddy.

Also, if you're still building a wardrobe: the PoW double breasted is a great idea, but make sure you have a grey and/or navy suit first. You don't want to be 'the guy with that suit'.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Other things you may want to look at: Dugdale Brothers' Royal Classics and English classics, Harrison's P&B Universal and, for jacketing, Porter and Harding Glorious 12th or John Hardy Worsted Alsport. The latter are worsted faux-tweeds. Otherwise, you could try a hopsack cloth for texture and surface interest, although some might find it fuddy-duddy.
Also, if you're still building a wardrobe: the PoW double breasted is a great idea, but make sure you have a grey and/or navy suit first. You don't want to be 'the guy with that suit'.
Thanks Roger I appreciate the insight.
As I understand it Sammys is going to send a display full of the fall/winter fabrics. I hope there is actual brand name fabrics included.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Samuelsohn accept fabric from customers or do you have to pick from their offerings?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does Samuelsohn accept fabric from customers or do you have to pick from their offerings?
I am not sure on that one.
My fiends shop has a huge box of fabrics provided by Sammys

Renton

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure you have to pick from their offerings, and, based on my experiences, they're pretty tight lipped about most of their fabric sources.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you got any friends work in there? You can try but don't think they will.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,go and sign up for the London Lounge shetland:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys,go and sign up for the London Lounge shetland:

That is a sick jacket.

I had sign up as a member of the London Lounge, however never have a reply.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renton, I am pretty sure price is 100 GBP per meter.

Renton

Reaction score

:slayer: :slayer: :slayer:
Did you have the flannels made up yet?

Not yet, I was hoping to get a few fresco things finished first.

Have you looked at the linens LL is shipping? The colors look great but that half width is holding me back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads