• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As the (very happy) owner of the LL Agnelli Steed suit discussed over the last page I thought I'd chime in with a couple of clarifications

1) This is my tenth or so bespoke jacket from Steed and I think they have pretty much got the fit perfectly dialled. This is different to many of my other suits in that we tried to create more of a Friday casual suit - hence the 3-roll-2 with broader lapels and the ticket pocket. It is exactly what I wanted though it will clearly not be to everyone's liking

2) The photo posted doesn't do the shoulders any favours, I think this is largely due to my pose and it should also be noted that it has settled significantly since. The second photo from the Twitter feed is probably more representative (but again this is before the shoulders settled). There is NO padding in the shoulders

3. The cloth is fairly heavy but by no means impractical. It is perfect for a Northern European Autumn and winter.

R-O-T

I also think the shoulder is executed finely.

Few members are too into Italian soft shoulder and the same ruler could not be used when accessing the more defined and firm shoulder cut.

I find the Napolian soft shoulder will rarely make the shoulder straighter so they seldom create a defined shoulder/sleevehead area.

I do not see any dimple on the sleeve head, the fabric is smoothly flowing with the sleeve rather than being too tight.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the (very happy) owner of the LL Agnelli Steed suit discussed over the last page I thought I'd chime in with a couple of clarifications

1) This is my tenth or so bespoke jacket from Steed and I think they have pretty much got the fit perfectly dialled. This is different to many of my other suits in that we tried to create more of a Friday casual suit - hence the 3-roll-2 with broader lapels and the ticket pocket. It is exactly what I wanted though it will clearly not be to everyone's liking

2) The photo posted doesn't do the shoulders any favours, I think this is largely due to my pose and it should also be noted that it has settled significantly since. The second photo from the Twitter feed is probably more representative (but again this is before the shoulders settled). There is NO padding in the shoulders

3. The cloth is fairly heavy but by no means impractical. It is perfect for a Northern European Autumn and winter.

R-O-T
I am not a fan of how the shoulders look in this photo, but hands in pockets generally makes things look strange. The important thing is that you are happy with the suit and it meets your expectations. With that being said, I would love to see a better picture to see the settled in version.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an NSM in that. Soft and relatively good at keeping a crease.

Oof. Took a look at your NSM suits and now I'm waffling b/ween the houndstooth and the POW.

tumblr_mscoswQDzQ1r3emm3o1_1280.jpg

vs

tumblr_mwapmnXGpV1r3emm3o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

I had that fabric made up by Huntsman and nothing that anyone is unhappy about has anything to do with fabric or some period of time over which the fabric needs to "settle." The issues that people are highlighting are due solely to the fact that the wearer's hands are in his pockets and the pose that he is taking. That is why there are divots in the shoulders in the second photo. The most telling aspect of both photos is that despite the different positions, the neck stays firmly where it should as do the shoulders. That is the clearest indication from these photos that the jacket fits (and fits well). You might not like the style (I don't like Steed's style at all) but all indications are that the suit fits well. It is only on the internet that suits stay perfectly still. In the real world, they move as the wearer changes position.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is only on the internet that suits stay perfectly still. In the real world, they move as the wearer changes position.

It's kind of amazing how many times this needs repeating around here.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are great. I prefer POW as a pattern but I find myself wearing the houndstooth more often. The small pattern makes it easier to accessorize, at least for me.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both are great. I prefer POW as a pattern but I find myself wearing the houndstooth more often. The small pattern makes it easier to accessorize, at least for me.

Yeah, I could totally see that. Plus, I imagine it's easier to wear as separates.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarifications @R.O. Thornhill , @add911_11 and others.

I continue to learn.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

anyone know who Elkann's tailor was here?.... or a hand-me-down from grandad?

He uses Alessandro Martorana, Milanese tailor Caraceni, (who also made the suits that Lapo inherited from his grandfather) + Huntsman and Anderson & Sheppard, but comparing the pattern matching on this and on his GD's I guess this is the original Agnelli tweed ......... so by Caraceni.

Personally, I prefer the less mannered styling. The shoulders r great, particularly considering this is probably not bespoke.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No...But, dry clean judiciously and excessive perspiration can lead to issues.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads