1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Turn back\James bond collar cuff tightening

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fatherseanfan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Well-Known Member

I recently bought a cutaway collar shirt with turnback (aka "James Bond") cuffs from New and Lingwood. I love the shirt, but unfortunately the cuffs are a bit too wide on my wrists. I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible to have these cuffs taken in. I am doubting it given their construction, but I would appreciate any info from someone who might know. Thanks.

2. Tort007

Tort007 Active Member

3. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

Damn, I was hoping to see shirt with big holes in them from Eric.

4. StylenotFashion

StylenotFashion Well-Known Member

Try moving the buttons and letting the cuff overlap a bit at the fold.

5. Azure

Azure Well-Known Member

I have never seen before that cheap parody of the french cuff. Shame!

6. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

^ Every time someone begins a sentence with 'I' we're learning about him and nothing else. The turnback cuff is a classic. Not necessarily in a good way, but a classic.

And I'd check with collarreplacement.com.

7. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Well-Known Member

Love those cuffs!
    Not to derail, , but what type of tie knot would you go with? That's one spread collar!

8. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Well-Known Member

I do a half or full windsor, depending on the tie's thickness. Azure, you might want to watch a movie called From Russia with Love to see where this "cheap parody" comes from.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Well-Known Member

I have never seen before that cheap parody of the french cuff. Shame!

You have no clue what you are talking about, have you?

For the OP:
    I have the same problem with my N&L shirt. So if you find a solution, let me know! [​IMG]

I really liked the very unusual and hard to find combination of cocktail cuffs and wide spread cutaway collar. Nice shirt IMO.

As for the tie knot, I use a simple FIH. I like the contrast between the slim and assymetric knot and the large tie space.

10. Magman

Magman Member

It would seem to me that a competent seamstress or tailor could alter the cuffs. An alteration to the side with the buttons could effectively deal with the problem (taking 1/4-1/2" off, moving buttons etc.) The questions is, is it really worth it? Maybe having these shirts made to fit might be a better approach.