• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toyota/Subaru $20k RWD Coupe News & Pic Rendering

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
toyota_subaru_086a_1-580op.jpg

A "Toyota insider" has supposedly spilled a few more beans to 7Tune about the upcoming front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe the automaker is collaborating on with Subaru, and according to the source, the 2+2 will carry a few of the Lexus LF-A's design cues when it hits the market next year.

Although Lexus' "L-Finesse" styling has remained exclusive to Toyota's luxury brand, certain elements of the language have begun to filter down to the automaker's mainstream models, specifically the recently released Venza CUV. The rendering above hints at some of the lines that could make the cut on the production version of the "086A," but contrary to past reports, 7Tune's tipster says that the Toyota and Subaru versions won't be remarkably different - only the front grille, headlamps and taillights will be unique. The report goes on to say that Toyota is desperately trying to keep the price below the two million yen mark (a little over $20,000) and, coinciding with earlier rumors, Subaru is actively considering offering an STI version of the coupe.

In a related story, ToMoCo's new president, Akio Toyoda - the exec who recently piloted the LF-A around the Green Hell during the 24 Hours of Nürburgring - told Auto Motor und Sport, "This sports culture, which we have neglected for so long, will again be maintained." Toyoda clearly wants to see the automaker back on the radar of enthusiasts and the first example of this newfound focus could find its way onto the stage at this year's Tokyo Motor Show.

052020091604055522.jpg
We've reported on this before, but we now have stronger evidence than ever that Toyota is getting back into the affordable sports-coupe game with an all-new model priced at around $20,000-$25,000. This front-engine/rear-drive 2-door will reincarnate the spirit of the 1983-1987 Corolla Levin/Trueno (AE86), a car that's still popular today, especially among drift enthusiasts. According to our friends at Best Car magazine, Toyota's code name for this future sports car is 086A. That it's so similar to AE86 is no coincidence.

Toyota is partnering with Subaru to bring this project to reality. In fact, most of the engineering seems to be coming from the company known for its all-wheel-drive rally cars. Powering the future coupe will be Subaru's 2.0-liter flat-4 equipped with a new direct-injection system, tuned to produce an impressive 200 bhp and 145 lb.-ft. of torque. We predict the car will weigh about 2700 lb., so expect fairly quick acceleration times, probably around 6.0 sec. to 60 mph. The suspension will consist of MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup at the rear, with the chassis based on that of the Subaru Impreza and Legacy.

Toyota will mainly be in charge of the car's styling. Although both Toyota and Subaru versions will be offered, the two models won't look much different, apart from badging "” think Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.

The car is scheduled to appear sometime in 2011 or 2012. If this future car truly is a reincarnation of the AE86, Toyota and Subaru will have a big hit on their hands.

With the Altima Coupes success and Hyundai releasing the Genesis coupe, looks like Toyota is finally making strides in this direction.
Although I am not too sure about a Toyota having Lexus styling. It might degrade the Lexus status a bit but I still can't wait until this comes out.
They did say the rendering pic is pretty close other than the front grill, headlamps and taillights, so if true, it could be one beautiful and affordable, fun coupe to drive.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was shelved awhile back, is it off the shelf now?

turboman808

Reaction score
If it looks like the top picture it's gonna be a real hot car. Like a Aston Martin with sharper lines.

I didn't know Lexus had any sort of status. Every time I see someone driving a lexus they look like a wanna be gangster. Sure I might be a little narrow minded but a Lexus will never be a BMW. Mercedes or Jaguar to me.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
If it looks like the top picture it's gonna be a real hot car. Like a Aston Martin with sharper lines.

I didn't know Lexus had any sort of status. Every time I see someone driving a lexus they look like a wanna be gangster. Sure I might be a little narrow minded but a Lexus will never be a BMW. Mercedes or Jaguar to me.

Performance-wise, no it probably will not reach the standards BMW has set forth but in terms of luxury, Lexus is on top and probably best represents it best out of all the Japanese car brands out there. Lexus is easily and has been in direct competition with BMW, Benz and Audi. Jaguar... I won't even put the lemon car on the list.

Lexus is starting to build into their high performance cars again, they started with the IS-F, which could go toe-to-toe against the M3 (some even liked it better and faster in some tests, higher torque and all for a cheaper price).

Next they released their coupe/convertible in the IS form, the first ever and then the LF-A is due out in the next couple of years as well. Then the introduction of the F-Sport accessories, providing upgrades such as shocks, springs, intakes, etc... it just shows how serious Lexus is. There has also been talks of brining the Supra back for Toyota and then this new RWD coupe.

Lexus is definitely up there toe to toe with them, I would even boldly say they have surpassed Audi. They have definitely taken millions of sales away from their German competitors.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I would even boldly say they have surpassed Audi.

Oh noes. Not big bad Audi. That's such a bold move, passing the worst, most unreliable German automaker in the world. Jeremy Clarkson said it, the asses have moved from BMW to Audi.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lexus is starting to build into their high performance cars again, they started with the IS-F, which could go toe-to-toe against the M3 (some even liked it better and faster in some tests, higher torque and all for a cheaper price).

The LF-A looks to be an impressive car, if it's not catching fire, but the IS-F going toe-to-toe with the M3... I'm not sure about that. From what I've heard from auto journalist friends, and from the one time I drove an IS-F, it's trash compared to even an e46 M3. Perhaps in power, it's stronger, but it's handling is complete garbage. It feels like a Benz AMG from 8 years ago, before Benz actually started to consider handling and not just plant giant engines in their cars. And base price for a new e90 M3 is $55k while base for the IS-F is around $56k, so it's definitely not cheaper.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
The LF-A looks to be an impressive car, if it's not catching fire, but the IS-F going toe-to-toe with the M3... I'm not sure about that. From what I've heard from auto journalist friends, and from the one time I drove an IS-F, it's trash compared to even an e46 M3. Perhaps in power, it's stronger, but it's handling is complete garbage. It feels like a Benz AMG from 8 years ago, before Benz actually started to consider handling and not just plant giant engines in their cars. And base price for a new e90 M3 is $55k while base for the IS-F is around $56k, so it's definitely not cheaper.

Base price fo an M3 is cheaper but that is practically no options. Add up all the option and you are looking at mid to high $60k. A fully loaded IS-F can be had for less than $60k, the basic options on the IS-F is so much more than compared to the M3. M3 is the bench mark and in it's class, it cannot be beaten in handling but overall, for Lexus' first attempt, they did very well. In a straight line, the IS-F takes it. In the slalom, M3 does. M3 will most likely be always first but really, the IS-F can go toe-to-toe with the M3.

Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Oh noes. Not big bad Audi. That's such a bold move, passing the worst, most unreliable German automaker in the world. Jeremy Clarkson said it, the asses have moved from BMW to Audi.

My response was to the statements of people saying German > Japanese cars and I simply said Lexus has surpassed Audi, believe or not, minus their reliability has produced amazing cars. A/S5 and the R8 is spectacular. But really, if you consider reliability, Lexus has surpassed both BMW and Benz as well. JD and Power also just awarded the IS, GS, GX, LS & LX top awards in their initial quality study. Source: http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2009108.pdf The interior on the Lexus' are so much better than BMW as well.

Performance = BMW hands down
Interior & Quality/Reliability = Lexus trumps BMW

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Base price fo an M3 is cheaper but that is practically no options. Add up all the option and you are looking at mid to high $60k. A fully loaded IS-F can be had for less than $60k, the basic options on the IS-F is so much more than compared to the M3. M3 is the bench mark and in it's class, it cannot be beaten in handling but overall, for Lexus' first attempt, they did very well. In a straight line, the IS-F takes it. In the slalom, M3 does. M3 will most likely be always first but really, the IS-F can go toe-to-toe with the M3.

I don't disagree, that Lexus did good for their first attempt, but the problem they will have to sort out is if they want the F to be more luxury than sporty, or vice-versa. The new M3 is struggling with that, because the M cars were always sporty first, luxury second, but the new one is a mess. I drove a student's new e92 M3 and couldn't believe the idiocy of the automatic seat belt arms that would present you the seat belt. To that, the non-optioned, base M3 would be my pick since I, personally, wouldn't want a majority of the options offered in an M car. I think the IS-F is faster, sometimes, at most by .1 seconds in a 0-60 contest, although I've seen tests where the M3 is faster by up to .3 seconds, mostly due to the IS-F's weight and poor use of torque in the low-end. Although, I prefer a track car, so the numbers for handling are more my style, and the M3's balance is better than the IS-F in that respect. Competition is good, so I hope Lexus really cranks out a great next-gen IS-F.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads