• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To be over dressed or to be underdressed, that is the question.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am usually considered "overdressed". But to be honest, this is because law students usually wear t shirts and abercrombie jeans and new balance shoes while I wear an OCBD, apc new standards, and a v-neck with a good pair of shoes. So "overdressed" still isn't really "overkill".

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I am usually considered "overdressed". But to be honest, this is because law students usually wear t shirts and abercrombie jeans and new balance shoes while I wear an OCBD, apc new standards, and a v-neck with a good pair of shoes. So "overdressed" still isn't really "overkill".

yeah...by the standards of most places i show up in, i'm probably always overdressed. Even if it's just a Saturday trip to the cigar store i might go in a casual yohji suit and lace ups, and people ask me if i am working that day. I also find it funny they ask that, since there's no way in hell i'd show up to work in a suit of yohji proportions!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
my point wasn't that Ashton's word is the gospel, but simply he made a statement i agree with.

In all seriousness, I agree. I like the quote.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with the current state of things, I am almost allways overdressed

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm always overdressed but i do try to do it in the context of the environment i do have to evolve in....

I love my clothes and i do feel uncomfortable being casual except on holidays...
Maybe a bit of lack of confidence? My brother used to call me Brummel...

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe nobody quoted Wilde yet. Let me be the first, then
If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless I am working out, cleaning out the fish pond or something similar, I am nearly always overdressed compared to most men I encounter. I just think dressing well shows more respect for yourself and your fellow man. I can never think of any situation where being "underdressed" would be advantageous. (Well, I supppose if I survived an airliner crash landing in a remote mountain area, I would do better were I wearing a woolen shirt, a mackinaw and sturdy outdoor boots than if I were wearing my customary attire. However, clothing appropriate to surviving an enforced sojourn in the high Rockies would be bloody uncomfortable in the cabin of an airliner!)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If i always dressed for the "occasion" i would rarely get to try out my new shirts, ties and shoes.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once gardened in a suit...I hated that suit and my wife's friend thought iwas a raving lunatic....A great afternoon that was....

m_wave

Reaction score
Clothing for me is as much about what it is, as about it's appropriateness. ie. Looking good is about wearing the right thing at the right time, otherwise you will look silly. I do like to err on the side of over dressed but only slightly.. ie. if everyone else is wering t-shirts then I will wear a button up shirt in keeping with the situation.

I often have a chuckle to myself when people get the dress code all wrong and look out of place..

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a great thing i read about Basquiat is that he used to buy Armani suits then go paint in them...man...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads