• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You grammar nazi...

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not "that guy" at all IRL, although of course I correct my students' English when they make mistakes in their papers and exams. In fact, I am thankful for usage errors because so many of them are funny!

Do you dare correct an African American's English?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol, actually a girl posted that. :plain: BUT no I did not.

:laugh:

this one is also horrible

196514_10150148523711987_118734426986_6936744_5339647_n.jpg
:plain: I had people around when I scrolled down :plain: 

^^ "Don't get the wrong impression: I am an even worse parent than you were originally thinking."

BTW, the kid's strategy worked well for me too when I was a youngster. Just gay it up from time to time and you get whatever you want in life.

seriously!?!?! lol

"This is the ones" is what caught my eye. Mainly, though, I just wanted to kid CalTex because he had expressed annoyance with facebook posts that correct others' grammar.

lol. I was referring to the correction of the improper use of there, their, were, we're, and the like. The only reason I said anything is because I don't think it's that hard to learn how to use the terms correctly, and I feel that the people who are correcting others all the time on facebook have the grammer problems of their own. Not everyone has the skills of L'incandescent. :)

You grammar nazi...

I am happy to hear that! Again, I don't have a problem with correcting someone's grammer, but I can't stand when people do it in public with the intention of belittling the other person.

Since I realized the grammer powers of L'Incandescent I try to reread what I post on teh forvm. :embar:

Do you dare correct an African American's English?

does it matter?

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does it get to you when black kids say the word "ask"?

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Does it get to you when black kids say the word "ask"?

My serious answer is that if I let myself be bothered by things like that, I'd get burned out quickly. It's a cliche, but it really is true: in order to be an effective educator, I have to meet the students where they are. If I always expect them to be something they're not, I will become embittered about my job. I know lots of professors who are very cynical and even angry about their students, and the result is that they hate their jobs. (Although truth be told, many of those people are only happy when they have the opportunity to feel superior to others; students with substandard abilities are a great boon to them in that regard.) I do grumble sometimes, but usually what I'm upset about is how the system failed these kids before they got to my classroom.

David Foster Wallace had an interesting take on getting black kids to use SWE - he had a standard talk that he would give that put it like this: learn the 'white' dialect or don't be taken seriously.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since I realized the grammer powers of L'Incandescent I try to reread what I post on teh forvm. :embar:

Two serious posts in a row. We all have strengths and weaknesses. I try not to be too judgmental about others' weaknesses because I'm acutely aware of my own. There are some people on this very forum who are very, very successful at what they do, but their English is less than ideal. My English is good because I write for a living, but I also struggle with skills that others find easy. Five-tool players in baseball are rare; their real-life equivalent, whatever that is, is even rarer.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In your experience, which minority speaks the worst English? Best? Oh, and who has the funniest accent? I know the last one is more personal preference but I am still curious.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In your experience, which minority speaks the worst English? Best? Oh, and who has the funniest accent? I know the last one is more personal preference but I am still curious.

:plain:

I think the child's social class plays a bigger role, in my opinion their ethnicity is not a huge factor.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

David Foster Wallace had an interesting take on getting black kids to use SWE - he had a standard talk that he would give that put it like this: learn the 'white' dialect or don't be taken seriously.

I had read that. Although I teach a lot of black students, I have not encountered the kind of problems that he discussed. I'm thankful for that, because it's a very difficult conversation to have.

What I find fascinating about the usage patterns of different racial or ethnic groups is that some nonstandard usages are well tolerated while others are stigmatized. When a white student says "like" after every third word, we recognize it as a problem, but we don't treat it as rendering her worthy of contempt. When the black student says "aks," we treat it as a symptom of incorrigible stupidity. (I'm using "we" in a very loose sense here.)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm thankful for that, because it's a very difficult conversation to have.

Pun intended? Lol.

In all seriousness, I appreciate you giving us some insight on the topic. I wish you were more offensive towards minorities though.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wish you were more offensive towards minorities though.

Man, do not even get me started on the Walloons! They're a minority, right?

(j/k. I bear no ill will toward the Walloons.)

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Seriously?

Yeah, wipe away your kids that made you cry when being born why don't you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads