• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah I understand. That is why I flipped my Sub-c. But for some reason, the new GMT looks better with the maxi case. I can't explain it, it doesn't look too square like my former Sub-C. But I'm a sucker for the maxi dial, some people don't like it, but I love em.
okay, let me take another stab at it. Omega Speedmaster, or Planet Ocean? :embar:
Same here, the vintage I would really like to own some day would be a GILT PCG 1675.

Ding ding ding, Speedy Pro it is! I figured that the second guess would be right, you were definitely on the right track.

And I actually do enjoy the maxi-dial, but I also like the smaller dial. I think it just kind of depends on the model. For example, I love the new Explorer 2, although it did not sit well on my wrists unfortunately. I think that the lugs on the no-date sub just really ruin the "sensual" shape that I usually associate with the no-date sub. I wish that they did more than merely take off the oculus and the date of the sub-c, and call it a new model! I guess you can't have it all.

And that is a hell of a GMT model. Those old GMTs are just amazing. The faded bezels... mmm.

Now if I could find my camera charger :confused:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek- not a bad idea, just gotta get the wife on board

**** - everyones come around eventually :)

NC - now that the ig is up, you owe us pics

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Derek- not a bad idea, just gotta get the wife on board
**** - everyones come around eventually :)
NC - now that the ig is up, you owe us pics

this ^^^^ :slayer:

The Speedmaster is a really fine choice. I assume you got the 3570.50 right?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this ^^^^ :slayer:
The Speedmaster is a really fine choice. I assume you got the 3570.50 right?

Yep. I went all original. I am really glad as well, the Hesalite really is awesome. I really wanted a watch that I could wear around everyday, without fear of knocking it around. I think the Speedy Pro will accomplish that goal well. Also, thanks for your kind words.

Also, shoutout to Jim @ Continental Jewelers in D.C. Lets just say that the FAD definitely knows how to give a guy a good deal. And pics will be forthcoming when my damn charger is found :(. Hopefully it won't take too much longer. Looks like things got misplaced while I was moving, unfortunately.

If anyone is looking at an Omega, I urge them to contact Jim.

Crappy cell phone pic:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look great NC, and a great size for you wrist too.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

:sneaky2: Gaz's Pan on the left seems like the kind of thing I would wear, provided it's not gigantic and heavy. I retract my earlier statement.

It's a 372 (on the right), but the 127 is just as great, and in many ways greater.  Love the 249 as well.  47mm PAMs wear big, but they're supposed to be big.  Not an everyday watch for sure, but fun in the right context.

ahhhhh im an idiot. Didnt even notice the lack of the 1950 at 6oclcok. They are definitely not an everyday watch...and i really miss owning the 47mm luminor case. maybe one day ill snag another.

If anyone is looking at an Omega, I urge them to contact Jim.
Crappy cell phone pic:

great watch!! wear it in good health

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the newer 36mm Datejusts? I prefer the all-brushed past iterations, but they are no where near as comfortable as the newer ones. I initially hated the PCLs but I think I'm coming to terms with them. It errs to the side of dressy but is completely capable of looking good with jeans and a tshirt as well in my mind... especially on oyster. A tad small for my wrist but I simply don't like big watches so that is fine.

The Omega AT is its closest competitor in my price range, and I like that watch a lot, but something about the pointed hour indices and concern the teak dial will get old are keeping me from it. It's certainly a better watch for the money, but I don't love it like I love the DJ.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Any thoughts on the newer 36mm Datejusts? I prefer the all-brushed past iterations, but they are no where near as comfortable as the newer ones. I initially hated the PCLs but I think I'm coming to terms with them. It errs to the side of dressy but is completely capable of looking good with jeans and a tshirt as well in my mind... especially on oyster. A tad small for my wrist but I simply don't like big watches so that is fine.
The Omega AT is its closest competitor in my price range, and I like that watch a lot, but something about the pointed hour indices and concern the teak dial will get old are keeping me from it. It's certainly a better watch for the money, but I don't love it like I love the DJ.

its a fantastic watch. I had some wrist time with the 41mm DJ2 version....same dial, bracelet, etc. If i were to buy a DJ, it would be the newer 36mm. as for the polished center links, i was in the hate camp too. I had a sub for years and i thought the PCLs looked cheap. but theyve grown on me. i love em now. i repolish/brush the bracelet myself every 6 mos or so and it looks like new.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, shoutout to Jim @ Continental Jewelers in D.C. Lets just say that the FAD definitely knows how to give a guy a good deal. And pics will be forthcoming when my damn charger is found
frown.gif
. Crappy cell phone pic:

Congrat Newcomer! Great choice. If were adding a current Omega to my collection, the Speedy Pro would be the one I would choose. Classic good looks and well made. Mentioning Continental brings back fond memoriess of when I lived in DC. I used to visit them and also the Jewel Boutique to look at watches. Maybe I'll stop in at Continental next time I visit DC. Congrats again and enjoy your new Speedy Pro!

The newer Rolex DJ is really nice and the bracelet is much more rugged and well made than the old ones. Also, although its 36mm becasue the shoulders were widened on the newer DJs (I say newer but they have been out for at least 7+ years), it wears larger than the old ones that had hollow center links in their bracelets. Its a classic design that can be worn with everything from jeans to a suit. The polished links do show scratches while the old brushed finish hid scratches quite well (I know because I have 2 watches with the PCLs and a few with brushed center links). Still the newer bracelet is so much nicer that I'd rather have a current model DJ. I also prefer the DJ to the DJ 2, which at 41mm just has the wrong proportions. I find that when Rolex goes above 40mm often the watch case gets larger but the bracelet stays nearly the same as the old model and isn't wide enough or thick enough and the bracelet looks too small for the watch case. It can also make the watch sometimes feel too top heavy.

I also greatly prefer the DJ to the Omega AT. In the end you should buy the one you really love. Otherwise you will always look back at the one that got away until you finally pull the trigger and put the one you love on your wrist.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

In the end you should buy the one you really love.  Otherwise you will always look back at the one that got away until you finally pull the trigger and put the one you love on your wrist. 

this lesson has cost me thousands.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as for the polished center links, i was in the hate camp too. I had a sub for years and i thought the PCLs looked cheap. but theyve grown on me. i love em now. i repolish/brush the bracelet myself every 6 mos or so and it looks like new.

Initially, I didn't care for the polished center links either, but you get used to them. Since the mid 1990s they have slowly been introducing them on all of their watches other than the dive watches and the Ex2.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Initially, I didn't care for the polished center links either, but you get used to them.  Since the mid 1990s they have slowly been introducing them on all of their watches other than the dive watches and the Ex2. 

i suppose it was easy convincing me. Ive always liked the jubilee bracelet more than the oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads