• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Glashuette's pano date is the least awkward and best looking of the three large date makers (because of the lack of window frames and vertical separation).
PRE-BASEL+2010+-+GLASHUTTE+ORIGINAL+-+PanoMaticLunar+XL+90-02-36-12-05+zoom.jpg
Lange has something similar in the Zeitwerk:
A.-Lange-&-Sohne-Lange-Zeitwerk-140.021_1245140688.jpg

i would agree with that. i had an ebel a while back that had a large date. it was nice, but the vertical separation was a bit of a peeve. even thought the digits were separated by thin bar between the 2 digits, essentially creating 2 windows, the separation was still noticeable.

what model is that JLC? any pix?

reverso squadra hometime. i posted a pic a while back. i post another later if toy like. stock pics are easy to come buy, but it aint the same.

Thats a much better investment than: Kiton suit, Charvet shirt and a Casio watch.

+1

Good life lesson for everyone: don't be a dick.

Applies to styleforum. Applies to life.

lolwat? that would be nice.

^^^ Semantics aside, the Spring Drive movement is fundamentally different from traditional mechanical movements in that it is not operating by a spring-driven balance wheel. Rather, it is regulated by an electrically powered circuit. Yes, there is no battery, but i think it is nonetheless a stretch to call such a device purely "mechanical."

yes. any watch that has a battery/electrically powered energy source i would not call mechanical. but, im a watch douche, dont pay me no mind.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't use a winder unless I own like 2-3x perpetual calender watches and maybe some moonphase. I mean other then that, it would literally just take me less than a min to set my watch up anyway. This is including me hoping on my computer and type in "time.gov"....

I just think they're awkward, generally pretty ugly and a waste of money IMO. I have one somewhere in a storage closet, cannot stand that thing.

Understood - thanks. Aesthetics aside, I do find it helpful so I don't have to start re-setting the moonphase, which is a bit of a pain.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, just figured out how to use a macro lens with my camera. Kind of embarrassing, but I am not much of a photog. Figured I would snap off some pictures for you guys! Never shot any good ones when I got my baby.

P1010119.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010144.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you certainly got the macro going on Newcomer... nice pix and nice watch!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you certainly got the macro going on Newcomer... nice pix and nice watch!

Thanks! Note to self in the future--make sure to clean the watch off better! My pictures make it look like it is in way worse condition than it is :).

Crazy thing is, is this is just with the watch on macro mode. My camera is wasted on me.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics dude!

Cylon

Reaction score
Quote:
Ha. point taken. I should say applicable to styleforum. I can dream right?

Cylon

Reaction score
So, just figured out how to use a macro lens with my camera. Kind of embarrassing, but I am not much of a photog. Figured I would snap off some pictures for you guys! Never shot any good ones when I got my baby.
P1010119.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010144.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Love the up close and personal pics. How do you like your brown strap? Im thinking of getting a dark chocolate brown strap, or a light tan one...whats this color called? Anyone?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love the up close and personal pics. How do you like your brown strap? Im thinking of getting a dark chocolate brown strap, or a light tan one...whats this color called? Anyone?

Well, being a SFer at heart, I LOVE the brown strap. Personally, I don't know if I could handle a black strap. I still don't think I own anything that is black. But this was the stock, dark brown strap. It is a really nice, warm color. I would really like a honey brown or a navy strap though.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Has anyone seen the new-ish JLC Master Eight Days Perpetual in SS? I've been wanting to get a perpetual in stainless, but there are no JLC dealers near me so I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm not sure if I like the updated dial design versus the older Eight Day Perpetual, but the previous model doesn't come in SS, and the rose gold version seems a bit spendy.

You know, normally I'm down with complications and master chrono's, but there's just too much going on with that face.

Cylon

Reaction score
Here's a stupid random Q:

Stopped by a jeweler today to look at some vintage subs. The salesman pronounced the name of the watch in the same way you would say Seattle Mariners. I always say it in the Hunt for Red October sense.

WIS verdict?

Cylon

Reaction score
You know, normally I'm down with complications and master chrono's, but there's just too much going on with that face.

Tend to agree...but what really gets me is that year window.

Cylon

Reaction score
Nice looking Hamilton. Not sure if I like that date window tho...

price?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads