• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think they're awkward, generally pretty ugly and a waste of money IMO. I have one somewhere in a storage closet, cannot stand that thing.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh yeah speaking of ugly. some of them are kinda loud lol.....

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of PR. mmmmm Grand Seiko Snowflake :

Suwa is almost dead center in the middle of Japan, and because of this, the humidity level is lower than in other parts of the country. Because of this lower humidity, the snow fall during the winter is very light and airy. This allows the wind to sculpt the snow lying on the ground to make beautiful patterns. They set out to create a dial which resembled this light snow fall and patterns. In this, the SBGA011 Grand Seiko “Snowflake” was born. It is a unique 6 step process to replicate the snowfall in the dial. While the most complex dial in the Grand Seiko line takes 12 steps to complete, this “Snowflake” still one of the most intricate dials in the series.

6009057993_a64dc45ece.jpg

snowflake%20(1).JPG

snowflake%20(2).JPG

snowflake%20(3).JPG

IMG_8237.jpg

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I would like GS a whole lot more if they would change that "GS Grand Seiko" font front and center.

Little bit of subtlety would go a long way.

Seiko & Grand Seiko on the dial strikes me as something from the "Department of Redundancy Department"

Otherwise, its a beautiful watch. I am not one of those people who look down on Seiko watches because they are non-Swiss. Seiko is a true watchmaker with a real heritage.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like GS a whole lot more if they would change that "GS Grand Seiko" font front and center.

haha yeah that would really help.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we make Cylon moderator of this thread? The dedication is fantastic - 82% or your posts are in this thread :fistbump:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I remember that the hairspring had to be replaced and he could not find one for my watch so he had an omish guy make one. Could that be part of the problem?
I found my service records...last service was May of 2010 and here is what was done:
His email says, "Watch is complete and it's amazing. We totally refinished the case for you, serviced the movement, hairspring was replaced, new genuine crystal with the silver/white spacer and regulated. Running about 8 seconds slow at full wind. Not going to mess with it further than that. This is a vintage piece and there is just only so much you can do."

Well, the watch only lasting 8-10 hours is almost certainly an issue with the mainspring and the hairspring would not affect how long the watch is wound up for. In terms of its going rate (-8 seconds), it could definitely be an issue with the hairspring, however, it could also be an issue with the mainspring acting on the hairspring combined with bad adjustments (i.e. the watch wasn't adjusted properly).

The best thing is to get the mainspring fixed, and then worry about the going rate.

Cylon

Reaction score
I don't have enough money for watches AND clothes
biggrin.gif

Gap khakis, Old Navy t-shirt...and a patek philippe

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Little bit of subtlety would go a long way.

Seiko & Grand Seiko on the dial strikes me as something from the "Department of Redundancy Department"

Otherwise, its a beautiful watch. I am not one of those people who look down on Seiko watches because they are non-Swiss. Seiko is a true watchmaker with a real heritage.

I think apart from the Seiko name and Japanese stigma (not that I agree with it), I think another issue with GS's is that they aren't fully mechanical watches.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have enough money for watches AND clothes :D

Gap khakis, Old Navy t-shirt...and a patek philippe

hahah I been on this forum for almost 4 years now. I think I stop buying clothes in 2009......

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a vintage GP that was doing the same thing...wouldn't make it thru the night without being wound again. I had it fixed just recently (about 2 weeks ago); replaced the mainspring and had it tuned up. Since then it has been running great and the power reserve is much longer now.

Sounds about right. Almost always when it comes to a standard movement (i.e. no fusee chain or other 'extras'), if it doesn't last for more than a few hours, its an issue with the mainspring. Unfortunately, the two most fragile parts in a mechanical watch are the hair and mainspring and both tend also to be the hardest to adjust and repair.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, some are, some are not really and some are definitely not.
/M

They have only one full mechanical movement, the 9S. Everything else (movement-wise) they make either has a quartz component to it or is outright fully quartz.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you can't really compare the GS to a Swiss watch. GS does things their own way, with their own designs, and movements, none of which even try to go after the Swiss watch market.

For GS to compete against the likes of Rolex or Omega, they need to totally change everything about their company and collection, including the name.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, the watch only lasting 8-10 hours is almost certainly an issue with the mainspring and the hairspring would not affect how long the watch is wound up for. In terms of its going rate (-8 seconds), it could definitely be an issue with the hairspring, however, it could also be an issue with the mainspring acting on the hairspring combined with bad adjustments (i.e. the watch wasn't adjusted properly).
The best thing is to get the mainspring fixed, and then worry about the going rate.

Any watch repair suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads