• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
shoddy build quality? but a watch is a personal thing, so as long as you like it (and ignore the horologorie enthusiasts giving disgusted looks), then please go ahead and increase Tag's top line-revenue.
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
"it's not the worst item in the world, therefore I will choose it above hundreds of other more worthy items" smart philosophy
It's not as if someone replied with "shoddy build quality" and I then posted "ok, as long as there are no real problems I'll proceed as planned!" The replies I received raised no issues. I don't think the sarcasm is justified as I was/am searching for info, unless you're bothered that someone would even consider one of their watches. As I said, I'm just a novice seeking input from experts. I know that some TAGs use a plastic seal behind the case back rather than a metal one, but that's the only criticism I've heard in reference to shoddiness.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by economiayocio
Tonight I am reviewing in my blog my nice Glashütte Original with some pictures. It is indeed one of the nicest watches I have, in the inside and on the outside. Sorry because the text is in Spanish. If someone is really interested I could translate here.

I recommend the brand very much. They are not A&S, but they are doing great, and thir watches receive a lot of attention.

5080931242_694b971624.jpg

Very nice watch

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan

Agreed - and I have similar feelings about IWC's line-up. Btw Winky, I hope you caught my reply to your Mk XV question a few pages back.

luk-cha, nice Sinn.

Most certainly did, that's quite a story! Sounds like both your AD and IWC really bent over backwards for you!

I actually saw a new MK XV in a shop in London about 18 months ago, but I'd recently bought a MK XVI and this was the white face, which always struck me as a little odd for a pilot watch. Regardless, it's a fantastic piece, wear it in good health!

And I'm thinking this is the year if any to pick up an Explorer I 36mm, assuming the new one has caught on and dealers are being aggressive in their efforts to unload the old version (or going through the full AD list online to see if anyone has a NOS light faced SS DJ).

Rolex really messed with a good thing by shifting to super cases, polished center links and ceramic bezels. There was nothing wrong with the old sport models, as evidenced by roughly 50 years of few cosmetic changes. The best changes were unseen updates, like the independent 24 hour hand and the increasing of the Sub/GMT's water resistance from 200/50 to 300/100 respectively.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Most certainly did, that's quite a story! Sounds like both your AD and IWC really bent over backwards for you!
I was quite surprised that they were willing to do this, and given that they were, that none of the other ADs I contacted made the same offer. I guess I was just lucky with that one AD to come up with the idea.

I actually saw a new MK XV in a shop in London about 18 months ago, but I'd recently bought a MK XVI and this was the white face, which always struck me as a little odd for a pilot watch. Regardless, it's a fantastic piece, wear it in good health!
Thanks! I actually also really like the look of the white faced Mk XV, even though it's kind of deviating from the pilot heritage, with it's white face and applied numerals.

And I'm thinking this is the year if any to pick up an Explorer I 36mm, assuming the new one has caught on and dealers are being aggressive in their efforts to unload the old version (or going through the full AD list online to see if anyone has a NOS light faced SS DJ).
I don't know when they started, or if they have done it to all their models, but does the last batch of 36mm Explorers have the rolexrolex rehaut? I would hope not.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I don't know when they started, or if they have done it to all their models, but does the last batch of 36mm Explorers have the rolexrolex rehaut? I would hope not.

They do have it on there, as does my Explorer II. I would have preferred it without as well, but that would have meant buying one that had been sitting in the case for several years. Not only was that unappealing to me, I wanted to guarantee that it had the newer 3186 movement, so it had to be a V series (which my AD special ordered and still gave me a discount on).

But I digress... I'm not actually bothered by this, as it's not that noticable, and is really more about anti-counterfitting than branding. The one I HATE is the perimeter text on the Deep Sea; just tacky if you ask me!

In updating their models, I do think the supposed return of the orange hand to the Explorer II is cool, but I'd rather they kept the original case, bracelet and dial. I would love to see a Jubilee bracelet option on the white dial, though.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also
inlove.gif
Sinn + NATO...

356utconbond2ic3.jpg

But then again, they look great on just about anything:

356utconsinnrubberaq7.jpg

356utconbraceletnw1.jpg

356utcondimodellpc4.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
that ezm3 looks good, you hairy old man you..
smile.gif

oi less of the OLD
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Belligero
I also
inlove.gif
Sinn + NATO...

356utconbond2ic3.jpg

But then again, they look great on just about anything:

356utconsinnrubberaq7.jpg

356utconbraceletnw1.jpg

356utcondimodellpc4.jpg

sweet pic's!

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
It's not as if someone replied with "shoddy build quality" and I then posted "ok, as long as there are no real problems I'll proceed as planned!" The replies I received raised no issues. I don't think the sarcasm is justified as I was/am searching for info, unless you're bothered that someone would even consider one of their watches. As I said, I'm just a novice seeking input from experts.

I know that some TAGs use a plastic seal behind the case back rather than a metal one, but that's the only criticism I've heard in reference to shoddiness.

You would do better to spend some time here.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
You would do better to spend some time here.

Can you please point me in the right direction. I do not find the information on that page that suggests that the Carrera Calibre 16 has "shoddy build quality". Most owners seems very pleased.

NonServiam

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Tag Heuer. If you like the look, get it. It's not necessarily a good buy, as it will loose a lot of it's value out the AD's door (just like most watches but Rolex, Panerai and PP). You also won't get a fancy movement, but most people really don't care about that. I belive it's the 7750, very robust and popular. You can also get better watches for the same price if you choose a different brand (or watches just as good much cheaper). So why do want to get the TH? Because it's a TAG? Educate yourself and your brand interests might change. Because it's good value for money? Se above. Because you like the looks of this exact watch? Buy it, wear it and enjoy it. (Try to find a second hand one to take advantage of the value loss.) I like my Heuers, even the TAG ones
laugh.gif

NonServiam

Reaction score
Edited because I thought Big Bird was the one asking the question. My bad
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics