• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for crappy iphone pic i am snowed in at present.. loving the explorer on this strap though

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looking to improve
DSC02035.jpg

inlove.gif

What a lovely, classic timepiece!

mike540

Reaction score
Maybe not bigtimer enough for this thread but a nice story:
2 years ago when my grandmother died my uncle emailed all the grandkids asking if they wanted anything. I indicated I didn't have anything to remember my grandfather by. He died in 1989. I indicated I would be interested in any cufflinks, rings etc that might be left. My family is kind of scattered all over the world and I didn't hear anything back so I assumed there wasn't anything. Yesterday I saw my sister for the first time in 2 years and she brought me a package from my uncle with a box of cufflinks and this:
picture033ly.jpg
picture040nw.jpg

I'm not sure if the bracelet is original but the watch is his 25 year service watch and is inscribed with my grandfathers name, his company name and the date, 1974. Not hugely valuable, but sentimentally priceless.
smile.gif

It seems to be keeping good time. I'm going to have it serviced and probably get a leather band for it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great watch and great story

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike540
Maybe not bigtimer enough for this thread but a nice story:
2 years ago when my grandmother died my uncle emailed all the grandkids asking if they wanted anything. I indicated I didn't have anything to remember my grandfather by. He died in 1989. I indicated I would be interested in any cufflinks, rings etc that might be left. My family is kind of scattered all over the world and I didn't hear anything back so I assumed there wasn't anything. Yesterday I saw my sister for the first time in 2 years and she brought me a package from my uncle with a box of cufflinks and this:
picture033ly.jpg
picture040nw.jpg

I'm not sure if the bracelet is original but the watch is his 25 year service watch and is inscribed with my grandfathers name, his company name and the date, 1974. Not hugely valuable, but sentimentally priceless.
smile.gif

It seems to be keeping good time. I'm going to have it serviced and probably get a leather band for it.

Wonderful story, Mike.

My grandfather's Tissot Seastar Seven Auto in 18K. Much like yours, Mike, but priceless nonetheless. 1971. Keeps good time after a healthy service. Given to me by my father. I'll give it to my son when he gets interested in vintage watches.

tissot.jpg

My Christopher Ward Malvern Auto. After two weeks wear, I'm liking it a lot. +/- 2/3 seconds a day and very comfortable to wear.

cwmalvern.jpg

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
A couple of new scans just because...

GO 60s

waywt690.jpg

nice! this is the next one on my list. although have been thinking about spending a little more and getting the white gold with blue hands and a blue croc strap.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be the best area to pose this question.

I am looking at buying either an Omega Speedy 3570 or 3573 in the next few months. Does anyone have an idea if I ask for an AD rec on timezone or a similar site, what the standard discount is for this watch? I usually buy from one place in Boston, but they are no longer carrying Omega.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
A couple of new scans just because...

GO 60s

waywt690.jpg

That has to be one of the most beautiful watches I've seen here. Gorgeous in its simplicity and timelessness
inlove.gif

Nice shirt, too.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breguet 5207

This model from the Classique line is a beauty. I love the off-center dial, and watching the retrograde seconds hand snap back was a treat. Unfortunately, this model didn't fit so well on my wrist, so I sold it off after a year to fund another purchase. Still, it's one of my all-time favorites (to admire, not to wear).

img0302f.jpg

mike540

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Great watch and great story
thanks!

Audiophilia thanks for sharing. I enjoy vintage and it's always better when you know the history. I'll pass my grandfathers watch down too.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads