1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

+1.

Plus I never liked this specific PR indicator for their Luminors.

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I was happy to see a new episode come out. I know they do it monthly and I knew they were due, but I figured with the Holidays here they might save it.

It was interesting to hear his thoughts on people having just one watch considering the size of his collection not to mention how large it sounds like it used to be. As much as I'm drawn to different watches out there and find that there are different watches that can work for different occasions or pieces in one's wardrobe, I also think that one could be happy with just one watch so long as they find the right one. I also think that simply changing a strap or bracelet, something that in my opinion doesn't seem to be considering enough in the overall discussion of watches, can make the right watch very versatile. I personally feel that way about my Reverso in that it is in a lot of ways the perfect "one watch", but I'm also in the honeymoon phase. Of course I also am drawn to my fair share of other watches at the moment.

I've not followed the industry long enough to say it's more style over substance or that he's wrong. I'm sure there is more than a grain of truth to that statement. In fact watches seem to be getting bigger and bigger to an extent while I find myself going the opposite direction. Still style and design has to be a major part of the overall equation if you ask me. I don't care what's inside the watch if I'm not personally attracted to it. I may appreciate the craftsmanship of the movement, even if I only understand so well, but if the design isn't there then I won't be remotely interested. I would add finish to this as well. I was more than happy with my VSAs for a few years and they served me well, but the finish was that of a higher end watch. That said the finish was in my opinion better than some higher end dive watches I've seen out there, but compared to what I consider the best there is a notable difference. Anyway, an example of finish for me is Tudor. I've read comments on various Tudors saying that they're not worth the price because of the movements yet when the same person provides an example of another watch that's better or better value for money it simply lacks in the design and finish details.

I liked what he had to say about the smaller designers out there right now and how they're focused on making a better watch as opposed to just selling a lot of watches. There are some brands that I won't mention that I think while improving on past watches in terms of the movement and even the finish could possibly learn from the smaller guys' example.
    I think that's actually quite good advice as regards SIHH and Basel. There always seems to be at least one winner. Though as you say if a piece you've been waiting on becomes available or you find a deal then that may be the time to act.

I like a couple of other Reversos,, one in particular at the moment, that I have considered for the future. I just think that I'd enjoy more of a varied collection. They don't all speak to me, but a few of the Ultrathin tributes do as well as some of the boutique editions.

I find myself considering multiple styles and have changed my mind a few times over the past few months. That's been partially down to discovering alternative models, partially down to my tastes in size changing. So I think there's something to be said for taking one's time and thinking about a watch, especially someone like myself who may be dealing with a smaller budget than most. And if you're new to what's out there as I am, the more research and simply looking you do the more you might find you either really love a watch or you don't like it as much as you once thought you did. I guess what I'm saying is again that you're giving good advice and waiting to see what really speaks to you is the way to go. I can see why people sometimes sell a watch, but I'm more inclined as you are to find one I love and keep it. I'm guessing I'm somewhat older than the average Streetwear and Denim poster while somewhat younger than the average TWAT poster, but either way I'm at an age where if I get piece I want to make sure it's not something I'll tire of in say five, ten or even twenty years. I want a piece that I'll find classic and be in love with for the long haul. And not to repeat myself, but I'll say it again that the more research and simply looking you do can help you arrive at that decision as much as simple emotion can. There are decades worth of watches that have either come and gone or are still around which can provide context to either what's being made new today or what's out there in the vintage market.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Late to the party on this, but I did happen to purchase my JLC TT1931 US edition from Steve in 2013. Flawless transaction in my book.

4. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Best episode in a while, and I thought his critiques were spot on really. Also nice to see someone who held on to his first watch from age 6. Really cool.

5. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

The Leica Q packs a whole lot of punch in a fixed lens package. For me, it definitely justifies its use case and relative premium pricing (relative, of course, since it's several times the cost of a Fuji fixed lens mirrorless system and yet about half the cost of the latest M-P typ 240 body only, no lens). Its EVF is incredible - truly class leading for the compact mirrorless category - and bested only by the SL that was introduced last October (which is not a compact system at all).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  6. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

Cool! Didn't know I knew anyone on here. Hope you're well! Thanks for the kind words.

As for the Talking Watches, I have known William for many years. We have very similar taste in watches. I agree with him on DeBethune, one of the most slept on brands. Everyone in the industry knows they make some of the best stuff, but their communication is shit. My dear friend from MB&F was just hired there, so hopefully she can help out. Here's my video review of my old DB28 that I sold a while ago

[​IMG]

7. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I'm very impressed with it. As a street photography camera, it can't be beat. I've found myself carrying it with me nearly everywhere. The build quality makes you want to have it with you and use it all the time.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I agree that if one chooses wisely, its possible to be a one watch guy. It's more difficult to go back to one piece if you are used to having several for different purposes/events. There are benefits to having one watch (or even 2) in that one gets greater use of a watches that you own. I don't have time to constantly rotate watches, so if I wear one, I usually wear it for a while. However, I know when I had 3 or 4 watches I wore them all frequently. That becomes more of an issue as you accumulate watches. I have a friend who fell in love with VCs and at one point had roughly 40 (including new and vintage pieces). He ended up selling off, all but 2 and then adding a tourbillon from an independent. He has since added one or two VC pieces, but he said he would never let his collection get as large as it was because he just couldn't use them all frequently enough.

As for the strap bracelet factor, IMHO a lot of people do take that into account in terms of changing the look or feel of a watch. I see lots of posts asking opinions about strap colors, materials and stitching. Its not really my thing. I stick with one strap per watch, but perhaps I'm lucky in that I am not putting lots of money into multiple straps, which is like an addition for a few of my friends.

I agree that the style of a watch is very important. Its often what draws us in and encourages us to find out more about a particular model or brand. If designs are not attractive to their target audience, they will not sell and the company may soon be out of business. But perhaps you are reading into that too literally. I can't speak for Mr. Massena, and obviously watch companies must move with the times, so all have changed over the 3+ decades since he started collecting. However, I think there is truth to what he says about some companies being more about style than substance. I won't go too in depth but maybe a year ago or so a video with IWC's CEO, Mr. Kern was shown, and he was discussing how IWC was becoming a lifestyle product and how they were making movies with celebrities to create an image for some of their watches. To me, that is style over substance. I don't need a watch that requires a movie with celebrities, lunching and yachting on the Italian Riviera, to help me decide I want to buy one. Actually, if anything, it helped me to decide I don't want one of their watches (at least not that model). While I'm not really inclined to go with an independent watch company (for reasons I've already discussed in prior posts), at least with some of them their is a purity that goes with some of them wanting to make the best watch you can, even if it means its not as commercially successful for the company owner, rather than pandering to people buying a product because you made a movie showing their favorite celebrity Mr./Ms X wearing watch Y to have lunch on a yacht in an exotic location.

As for waiting and seeing what becomes available at SIHH or Basel, I am a firm believer in waiting for a piece that truly speaks to you. That't not to say our tastes or needs can't change or evolve over time. However, as I rarely sell watches, if I am going to purchase something, I have to see it as still a having a place in my collection years from now.

Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you next purchase may be. [​IMG]

9. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a place to get an appraisal done in NYC? Apparently my insurance company will not accept the documents DavidSW sent.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

A humble pic contribution, picked up a dress watch and really liked the race inspired details in this Tag Carrera Date. I understand the Tag brand is not well liked in the watch world, but i'm enjoying it:

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Life is short, wear what is going to make you happy. Don't get caught up in the echo chamber of this or other sites, or the group think of mental masturbation and elitism that makes up horology. Bottom line is that it is a little machine on your wrist. If it tells the time, it is doing its job. If it provides you any more benefit than that, then it is doing more than its job and you should consider it money well spent.

7 people like this.
  12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Some of my best friends are TAGs.

2 people like this.
  13. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I put my Spectre Seamaster on a different Nato strap today. The Omega one that it comes on is superb, but I felt like a change. This one is perhaps more seasonal.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Welcome and thanks for sharing a photo. I really like some of their vintage inspired modern pieces, and the vintage Heuer chronographs are very cool.

15. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

OK, guys. You convinced me. I am taking my old Autavia in to be serviced.

2 people like this.
  16. Dino944

Do it !!!

17. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Out - nowt - I'm not a seller.
    In - the trusty Speedy. Why did I wait so long?

Expecting a lump of cash in Q2. Really want one or both of the following (likely to get one through the house accounts, but not both):

- Vintage Rolex Pepsi GMT
    - Cartier rose gold CPCP Tortue

Most likely to be the Cartier as I'm long sports watches and short dress watches. A couple of Tortues have come to my attention recently but sadly not with papers, which I could live with, but I just prefer. We'll see what's around next year.

1 person likes this.
  18. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Well said :)

19. Dino944

Both are nice possible additions!

A friend of mine recently acquired a time only CPCP Tortue XL in platinum which is stunning. Yes, its a shame some folks don't keep the papers, or they sell the watch with or without the classic red box, but they keep the wooden display box, loupe, and polishing cloth which also came with the CPCP pieces. I love the CPCP pieces. When they were new they were very under appreciated, but they seem to be getting more attention from collectors these days.

Wishing you luck on those additions!

20. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

My first 'high-end' watch so to speak!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.