• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocking this one today. 2014 ROO safari. Wasn't so sure about the size/design as I'm more of a slim dress watch person, but it really grew on me

On a side not, finally completed the "Trinity"!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are my eyes are failing me or does the IWC Ingenieur look a lot like the VC Overseas? Poor man's edition of course.

Not sure that's a fair or accurate description. If you are suggesting IWC has copied VC, then you are way off the mark based on history. As most people here know, AP created a completely new market of luxury sport watches when the Royal Oak was released in 1972. It didn't catch on immediately as a success, but within a few years we saw others releasing their versions of luxury sports watches: Patek with the Nautilus, VC with the 222, GP with the Laureato, and IWC with the Jumbo Igenieur SL. All of the above were released in the late 1970s. The Ingenieur evolved and became a bit more angular, with sharper edges than the original Jumbo SL, it shrank to around 34mm in the 80's through the early 1990's, and then it grew to its original size and then beyond. The Igenieur has been around in one form or other for more than 3 decades.

During roughy the same period VC struggled with creating a lasting identity for their luxury sports watch. In the late 1970's they released the 222 , then in the 1980's the ugly 333, then the hideous Phideas, and then finally around 1996 the first generation Overseas, and then a few years ago the current 2nd gen Overseas.

I'm not a fan of either current offering, but I find the design of the Ingenieur to be a lot less blingy than the current Overseas. If you believe the 2 watches look similar, then perhaps it's the Overseas borrowing a theme from the Igenieur, as it's been around far longer. Personally, I'd take a VC 222 or an IWC Jumbo Igenieur SL over either of their current sports watch offerings.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where do people see the future of the Hulk sub? I prefer it to the black faced anniversary edition... I wonder how these will age? Apparently there were several variations too? They seem to hover around $7800 or so on TRF.

Not sure, but I have an ND Sub and the Hulk is next on my list. May be overkill buying two Submariners in a row but I love mine so much and I've had my eyes on the Hulk for quite a while.

So to answer question - no idea but buy one so we can admire it!

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say anything is lacking. The sticks may be a little more refined than the numbers. But the Air-King has been my everyday watch for the past five years and I have zero complaints. I think the new OP is just as good - and I don't think that about many watches.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rocking this one today. 2014 ROO safari. Wasn't so sure about the size/design as I'm more of a slim dress watch person, but it really grew on me

On a side not, finally completed the "Trinity"!

Beautiful. All you need now is a Lange!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the new Steel Grey 116000 mimo posted, but find the case shape looks a bit bloated width-wise.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Not sold on the double-sticks myself, but it is indeed a very nice, modestly-sized Rolex.

CMT1

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads