• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk about a long decision making process- I can see posts in this thread from 4 years ago talking about getting this watch. It's finally happening this week:

I'm in the extremely fortunate position of being able to get this as my dressier watch and something else yet to be finalized for more casual wear. I do prefer the all-brushed look of generations past, but this is a father's day/various other celebratory milestones culminating, so it was important to my wife that I get something new. For me it's classic Rolex and one of the few watches they are making right now that I love.

It's going to be a special moment, can't wait to get it sized and start wearing.

Of course, that means 1 down, 1 to go, so I'll be posting more frequently now soliciting opinions :slayer:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talk about a long decision making process- I can see posts in this thread from 4 years ago talking about getting this watch. It's finally happening this week:

I'm in the extremely fortunate position of being able to get this as my dressier watch and something else yet to be finalized for more casual wear. I do prefer the all-brushed look of generations past, but this is a father's day/various other celebratory milestones culminating, so it was important to my wife that I get something new. For me it's classic Rolex and one of the few watches they are making right now that I love.

It's going to be a special moment, can't wait to get it sized and start wearing.

Of course, that means 1 down, 1 to go, so I'll be posting more frequently now soliciting opinions :slayer:

congrats on the classic DJ! Looks perfect.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Congrats bbb, please post some wrist shots whenever you can.

That's a classic-looking DJ right there....many prefer the jubilee / fluted look, but I think if I ever went in that particular Rolex direction, I'd opt for something like this.

And frilly, I agree with mimo, you should ditch the rubber and try some different NATOs on that "ugly, commonplace" ceramic Sub :D

Especially now that it's summertime. They're so easy to swap, and we know you like a bit of color.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Said for the first time by a man, ever.
rotflmao.gif
Funniest reply I've seen here in ages!

Gorgeous, no doubt. However... for half of a million bucks... does the movement spacer bother you? I get it, it would make little sense developing a caliber to fit into what is a tonneau-but-close-to-round case. But still.
I don't find the spacer offensive in this piece as its not a huge spacer. I've seen worse ones when companies just increase the case size of a watch, but continue using the movement from a previous smaller model. If it was a significantly smaller movement with lots of dead space on the back with just a tiny porthole to view the movement, I would have issues with this piece.

As Frills pointed out, my issue is buying that watch in SS. At that kind of money I want it in a precious metal. However, as long as collectors say, they are rare because they only made X amount of these then it doesn't matter what they make it from, they will sell. About 20 something years ago, Lange made Lange 1s in stainless steel, it was their "Entry level" Lange one. They were made for a short time...so not many were made and today they sell at auction for several times more than a Lange 1 in gold or platinum. I'd rather "Save" myself some money and get one in gold or platinum.

Congrats! I am sure you will get many years of good use and enjoyment from your new Rolex. My oldest Rolex turns 20 this year and its still going strong!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You all chimed in when I was asking for some advice between a Pelagos, Sub, and GMT BLNR. I ended up with the GMT and I'm really glad I went that way. Feels more differentiated than a sub and looks great in a lot of environments, especially my business casual office. Thanks for those that encouraged me to get what I really wanted and not settle for a substitute.

Outstanding. Congrats!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
So here's my latest... out of all I've owned I've never really liked this one. I always leaned toward the historics...but when i saw it again recently, i was kinda smitten and really wanted to get one. fast forward a few months and my great wife made it happen for my 31st birthday and 1st fathers day. :slayer:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's my latest... out of all I've owned I've never really liked this one. I always leaned toward the historics...but when i saw it again recently, i was kinda smitten and really wanted to get one. fast forward a few months and my great wife made it happen for my 31st birthday and 1st fathers day.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Looks great Derek! Enjoy it and happy belated birthday! Looks like you found a great way to mark the occasion.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats BBB and DerekS! Those are both beautiful pieces!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Congrats, BBB, I love that clean classic look.

Del Boy, that's a beauty: I'm a sucker for the small seconds, and I like the way it's balanced with the date...and that monster crown and polished bezel...that's a watch with personality in an appealingly deviant way. Just like you. Big love.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats bbb, please post some wrist shots whenever you can.

That's a classic-looking DJ right there....many prefer the jubilee / fluted look.

Although it would never be mistaken for a sport watch, IMO oyster bracelet/smooth bezel looks more casual, which is what I wanted. The fluted white gold is too bling-y for me. I wanted something with classic proportions that was understated.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, BBB and DerekS! Timepieces for meaningful times in your life - one zillion thumbs up!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Derek is to Panerai as Frilly is to Patek.

Just working their way through entire collections.

Oh and btw your wife is obviously a keeper. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads