• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, this thread moves fast.

It's been far too nice out lately to mess around with measuring-caliper-level watch nerdery, but here's a quick 'n' dirty (literally, as the SD still has evidence of yesterday's North Sea activities on it) comparison shot à la No Frills between the the 38.65 and the 40.5-ish millimetre cases:

The extra thickness isn't so evident here, but case-shape differences between pre- and post-ceramic designs and the glossy vs. satin dial characteristics are rather obvious in this head-on view. For me, they both have the right proportions for their respective genres of slim sporty chronograph and function-first diver's watch.

It'll be interesting to see how Rolex does the next iteration of the steel Daytona; keeping the new Sea-Dweller at the proper 40 mm-ish size and going smaller on the lugs compared to their first round of ceramic diver's watches was a very positive sign for future design direction.

Making a watch bigger for its own sake — instead of for a functional purpose such as increased pressure resistance in the case of your DSSD, even if it's about 8X the all-time depth record — is traditionally un-Rolex. Bloating the new Sea-Dweller up to 42 mm simply to appease the bigger-is-better crowd would have been a poor long-term decision.

By the way, I'm surprised you haven't picked up a black-dialed Daytona yet, considering your habit of kopping in pairs...
stirpot.gif

Fantastic pic and comparison of course.

As for sizing up and making the watch bigger for its own sake, what about the 42mm Explorer II......
mwink[1].gif

He doesn't always do pairs of the same - I think the Daytona is paired with the Explorer under "other Rolex". Maybe a white dial ExII and BLNR would make a nice addition? Then a white gold Pimpepsi and a platinum Daytona? Guess we'll have to wait for next year's frillyvolity season to find out.

Edit: @Dillardiv , that looks great, congratulations! I know I said go for the Sub because I'm a conservative old fart, but having seen that in the flesh myself, it's a stunner. "Wear in good health", as the TWAT motto goes. :)

I cannot, for the life of me, find your original post where you showed us all up by proving your manliness and cracking your head open. I am glad you are doing okay now.

RE: White dial Daytona. I'm not sure what to pair with it. We shall see. Explorer I and vintage 1601 is the pair.

CONGRATS DILLARDIV! BLNR looks great, especially in the flesh.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
@mimo Thanks. I may end up with a vintage sub someday as it is just such a classic watch. But I love the idea that the BLNR isn't the same Role as on everyone else's wrist. I can't stop looking down at my wrist!

I want to go slowly but I'm just getting started and I've enjoyed educating myself through this thread and other forums.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey... is it just me, or is it starting to smell a bit WUSsy in here lately? All this discussion of noob topics and recycling of old wives' tales reminds me of the sponsor-friendly bread and butter of a sponsored site.

I am sure things can be kicked up into high gear.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fantastic pic and comparison of course.

As for sizing up and making the watch bigger for its own sake, what about the 42mm Explorer II...... 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Thanks!

Regarding the ExpII, I'm not saying they don't do it, it's just that they should know better. That's why I'm so glad that they've reined in this overfed Horse of Embiggening before he trampled the new Sea-Dweller into a swollen mess. Sadly, he's already ran (or waddled?) roughshod over the DJ/DD II and the 39 mm Explorer.

edit: typo

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@RogerP That's a beauty - 38mm? Who has the one with small seconds?

I cannot, for the life of me, find your original post where you showed us all up by proving your manliness and cracking your head open. I am glad you are doing okay now.

Nothing manly about falling on your backside. But just for you, and apposite to the above:

while my cup runneth over, with zeal, it is sorely lacking, in funds.

I feel your pain...so much love, so little action.

@Belligero I like the 39mm Explorer. So there. But I wish they'd gone 39 instead of 41 for the DJII - and a no-date Oyster in 38-39mm would be lovely. If I'm honest, I wish it was just slightly bigger but the 36mm is a shade larger than my current daily dress watch, and for me this is the most beautiful of all the 2014 Rolex models:

(Pic is from watchtime.com - the first "live" pic I've seen of this model. As usual, so much more appealing than the official pictures)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all chimed in when I was asking for some advice between a Pelagos, Sub, and GMT BLNR. I ended up with the GMT and I'm really glad I went that way. Feels more differentiated than a sub and looks great in a lot of environments, especially my business casual office. Thanks for those that encouraged me to get what I really wanted and not settle for a substitute.

Congrats on your BLNR! It looks fantastic. Although, you were considering several nice watches, I'm glad to hear that you got the watch your really wanted. I personally saw a BLNR up close and I found it more impressive in person than pix. Congrats again and enjoy your GMT!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all chimed in when I was asking for some advice between a Pelagos, Sub, and GMT BLNR. I ended up with the GMT and I'm really glad I went that way. Feels more differentiated than a sub and looks great in a lot of environments, especially my business casual office. Thanks for those that encouraged me to get what I really wanted and not settle for a substitute.

Good to see another BLNR in the TWAT!!!

Dillardiv

Reaction score
I don't think I can multi-quote on mobile, but thanks for all the thumbs up. It was a bit wild taking the leap but I am glad I did. I'm looking forward to building a small collection over time. Cheers everyone!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Love the sapphire sandwich. Had it, didn't work for me. The sapphire back irritated my wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads