• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
You know, this is very true. I guess when you put it that way, I completely understand. I guess I find the sub no date and the sea dweller a tad redundant. Any with your beautiful collection, I think that a vintage watch would really complete it. You would just have to wear it more like your Pateks (save the Nautilus), and less like your Explorer. But I understand why you may not want to do that.

Of course, these watches made it through some tough conditions, and I think that (for the most part, and depending on the model) they could withstand most of what you can throw at it!

He has a datejust from his birth year I believe, so that may cover vintage Rolex. Not to say you're old of course, Frills.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has a datejust from his birth year I believe, so that may cover vintage Rolex. Not to say you're old of course, Frills.

Good call, I forgot about the DJ! It is hard to keep track of all the watches around these parts :).

I tend to focus on the Pateks.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not the star in his lineup, and I may have forgotten about it as well, but it was talked about during my last visit so it's fresh on my mind.

Also, this slowly saving stuff sucks.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good call, I forgot about the DJ! It is hard to keep track of all the watches around these parts :).

I tend to focus on the Pateks.

Hahahahaha!

This is the Frilly long game:

1. Gets the 114060 to slake Sub thirst. Wears it and loves the heft. Catches wife's eye. Slowly but surely the 114060 gets appropriated by the missus, and every so often Mr Frilly gets to borrow it, like the white dial Daytona.

2. Gets the SD 4000 when it emerges six weeks from now. Mrs Frilly doesn't realize that Mr Frilly is wearing a "Sub" even as she is wearing "her" Sub (114060).

3. All brushed finish + cerachrom bezel resists wife's rugged watch wearing ways, so Mr Frilly doesn't wince every time he looks at the surface closely - like he does sometimes with the Daytona's PCLs. Ouch!

What do you guys think? Have I rationalized the redundant purchases enough?

P.S. After Van Cleef and Arpels's price increase this Monday the SubC ND 114060 in the secondary market will actually trade BNIB at a lower price point than my WG Alhambra cufflinks. So there. What a deal, right! I'm getting the damn Subs.

Frilly AKA "No Patience"

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Model 524 Color 606 on the Riva last?

Not bad Frilly - I give you a pass on the colour as I darkened them a bit from new:

medium800.jpg

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bwahahahahahahahaha so much TWAT love here! Thanks mimo, bespoken pa, RogerP!

Dayum TC that made me laugh so much. The awesomeness.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love your wife's dress shirt (in a SF way).

Both those watches look amazing. The white is a bit out there, but I think it's coming back and summer's approaching.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I wouldn't say white is coming back as far as straps go, but my main concern is if Mrs. TC was able to lift her arm with that on.

Glad to see you getting a lot of use out of the RO, TC. You wear it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads