1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

I don't plan on buying anything while I'm there, so not too worried about prices. More worried about just finding a cool place that would be welcoming for me to see some stuff I haven't seen in person.

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Give it a go then! VC boutique on the upper east side has a few vintage pieces as well.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Damn. Who makes your toaster, gopher?

Check eBay. There is a huge market for all kinds of accessories.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I know seriously....do you think his toaster is made by AP?

1 person likes this.
  5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Target acquired: 2007 GMT II 16710. Rationale: 116710 just, well, shimmers a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Now the final consideration: black bezel or "Coke."

I could spend a month trying to decide.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

You don't have to decide, in fact flexibility is the all a part of the beauty of the 16710.

1 person likes this.
  7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Excellent [​IMG] Happen to know what these went for new in the mid 2000s? Need to know how much bargaining power I might have. Thanks!

8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

My father bought a 16710 in 2001, and the MSRP back then was $3,500. I believe it was around $4,000 by 2004-2005, as my Sub LV (which had a higher list price than the GMT) had an MSRP of $4,500 in 2005.

Personally, I would go with the Pepsi or Coke bezel insert as it helps differentiate it as a GMT. Not that I needed people to know it was a GMT vs. a Sub, but when I had an all black bezel GMT, people who sort of knew watches would say nice Sub. It sort of like the GMT doesn't have as much of its own identity with the black bezel. Hence for me, when getting a new GMT I wanted the BLNR, and if I go for a vintage one at some point it will be a blue/red Pepsi. Good luck with your negotiating.

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

@UnFacconable : Surprised to hear that. When I visited my local AD before Christmas, I enquired about the 3570.50 as well and was told they didn't have any left and weren't sure if they could get one from Omega (I suspect there's still stock at Omega, even now).

When I mentioned I wasn't interested in paying a premium for a 311.30 just to get (useless) accessories and overdone packaging, they offered to let it go for the price of a 3570.50
    ($5 250CAD vs $5 800CAD) and pay taxes. That would've been savings of about 21%.

I didn't get the impression there was any shortage of 311.30.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

My AD told me it's common at the beginning of the year. I'm sure people had stock before the holidays and there are probably ADs with stock now, but mine is out. I got in at a fantastic price so I'm cool with the long wait. I have enough new watches to play with at the moment.

12. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Sitting on an airplane.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Who do you fly with? Mostly I only get a bag of nuts...

3 people like this.
  14. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

This came yesterday, and I installed it today.

Pros:
    10 minute installation, all you need is a springbar tool
    Rubber is very nice
    Fit is awesomely seamless

Con:
    Blue stripe is very very very underwhelming. Its almost like having a black rubber strap. You have to look very closely to see the blue. Totally misrepresented in that picture I posted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. Sweden

Sweden Well-Known Member

I guess its not Ryanair :D

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

(@Sweden :They don't even give you the nuts.)

Hey TWAT buddies: advice, please? Best pen under $500, heavy, substantial, classic, prefer a medium rollerball. Not baller enough for you aficionados of course, but I'm sure you can point me to the Hamilton Jazzmaster, Tissot PRC 200 or Seiko Cocktail Time of the pen world...

Sorry for the digression. Later this week, I shall post interesting watch pictures to make up for it. Promise.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  17. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Well-Known Member

Wore my beloved Celadon Imperial with Blanc de Chine dial, to dine at the three michelin-starred Sant Pau located in the picturesque seaside town of Sant Pol de Mar off the gorgeous Catalonian coast. Let's see if anyone can guess what this special off-menu course was...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

19. dukerules

dukerules Well-Known Member

A little vintage today.
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  20. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of RubberB's construction, but like aleksandr above I'm not a fan of the two-tone versions as you don't really see much of the color of the non-black shade anyway.

I use my RubberB's for summer, generally. Here are some shots from last summer.

DSSD on a Red Devil RubberB:

[​IMG]

116610LV on a white RubberB:

[​IMG]

116610LV on that two tone RubberB with a green highlight:

[​IMG]

I also put my SubC 114060 on an Everest band with a clasp but it didn't work as well as the RubberB. The fit was off and my perception is that the quality of the RubberB trumped that of the Everest.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, aesthetics aside the RubberB option offers a nice change from the bracelet. Tough as nails and you won't think twice about bringing it into water, etc.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.