1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

currently own a speedmaster. should i get the IWC portguese chronograph or Rolex Submariner next?

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Since you already have a chrono, I would say the Sub. But I have a soft spot from the Portuguese Chrono. I hate the way the numbers are cut off but it I adore the dial. It is clean for a Chrono and the white dial with blued numerals and hands looks fantastic. I see they offer a blue dial with silver indices but I have not seen it in person.

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Its a good combo... My combo circa 2008

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Do you already have a dress watch?

5. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

This one today.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  6. intensanity

intensanity Well-Known Member

Long shot here: Are there high quality Snuff Suede NATO straps?

7. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

Only have the speedmaster at the moment

8. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Wearing this today:

[​IMG]

9. Tried and True

How about a Reverso. It dresses up nicely on a strap and is sporty on a bracelet. An iconic keeper, just like your Speedy.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Frilly, if I can ask, how many watches are in your collection?

Every time I enter this thread and see all these Rolex's the thought crosses my mind: "Well… some look nice. I should get one. But first, the Speedy!" :lol:

11. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Funny, I am the other way with Omegas. Have considered the Speedy, SMP Bond and Aqua Terra and just can't quite pull the trigger. I swear those watches are always in the running when buying but just never makes it over the hump. Maybe one day...

Tough choice. I want to say Sub because it is just that quintessential Rolex but then again you already have a sport watch in the Speedy and between the Sub and Explorer, the Explorer is more versatile and can work as a dress watch as well. I think it would be best to try both on and just see which works for you and your intended purpose. They wear differently from each other, the Subs wears much bigger and bulkier.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  12. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

I'd go with the IWC since you have a sports watch already; just pick a nice one!

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

You've been debating a Sub purchase for quite awhile now haven't you, Ari. That would be my personal choice, but either way, you're on a winner.

14. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Morning gents!

Let's start Monday with color...

@mimo my shoes toes ok?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Of course the correct answer is "both". But you did add the caveat "next", so we'll take that as read. The Sub is the more classic, and I take the point that you already have a chrono, but my vote is for the Portuguese: you have a watch with a black dial, with an overtly sporty feel about it. The Portuguese Chronograph might technically be a sports watch, but in reality, if you're getting one of the white dial options, I think it flies as a dress watch really well - if rather ostentatiously. Get that. Then get the Sub. Either way, my cheap ass will respect and envy you.

With all the wildly impressive confections in your candy store, this simple little item is still a most satisfying gobstopper. The great photographs help, but you are really telling the story of why this is such a great watch. It just doesn't get old, does it?

Some-time visitor @Singular sells them. Also models them in this thread. He has a website.

You might well come to regret asking.

Yes, they are very nice. Although I suspect you might benefit from coming down one size and up one width. And personally, I think such an elegant last shape works better as an oxford than a derby: a derby brogue is very "country" in my eyes, and works best in a more solid and utilitarian shape (with a heavier welt and sole to match). But yes, nice toes.

However, short sleeved shirts are nasty. I know they're de rigeur in SE Asia, but this is Styleforum and cultural relativism is merely compromise. Also, is that a black belt with these brown shoes? That's a "no".

On the bright side, you're really selling that Black Bay. Nice job, brother.

P.S. Eid Mubarak. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  16. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

@mimo u da man! Seriously you got sharp eyes and you read my mind. The shoes (Magnanni Sergio) run long due to its elongated shape. And they are slightly longer compare to what I normally wear and I wanted to go down 1/2 size but they would not fit comfortably so I had to go with these (at creases the shoes are pressing my feet to the point it hurts).

The belt is actually dark brown, appears black due to poor lighting. I have to wear short sleeve here in 36-40 celcius heat, too hot to wear long sleeve except in the evening. The heat plus the humidity is unbearable and it's just getting hotter by the year :(

Derby vs. oxford totally agree with you but again with my situation here I opted for derby, if I wear a suit then oxford but I don't get to wear suit often enough :((

Cheers & happy Eid Mubarak (I don't celebrate it though)

17. Tried and True

A dress watch? Really?

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Love the Parmigiani. Big time. Don't love the bracelet.

As for the Explorer, you can wear sneakers with a suit, but it doesn't make them dress shoes.

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

RogerP, I have been trying to work this out on and off for some time now - what is that a picture of in your avatar?

20. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't consider my Exp I or any of my dive watches a "dress watch." On rare occasions I have worn them with a suit or sports jacket just to "break the rules" when I feel like it, but I prefer my other watches for relatively more formal wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.