• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interviewing today so having to be timely

x-post

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Cleav, that is a great advertisement for the simple but unmistakable charms of a nice clean Datejust. All-brushed Oyster bracelet...stick markers...smooth bezel. Understated and classy.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome! 

I'm new to collecting watches and admittedly had to Google each of your compliments. There is so much to learn! But, I still am unclear as to the significance of Rolex going Superlative?

Sorry it was just a reference to Rolex nowadays using the overstatement "Superlative Chronometer" (tm), as you can see on my modern (mid-90s hence the tritium T Swiss T) Datejust below... (applogies for bad phone picture - the shadow at the side is my coffee cup :embar: )... and how nice it was to see your Rolex from a time when they were more understated. I think it's a pity that Rolex no longer seem to make the kind of more classical dress watches that they did in the past such as your beautiful vintage, as I think they would sell very well. The Cellini range is nice with some Art Deco-esque designs but are overlooked even by Rolex aficionados who tend to look to other brands for classical dress watches - JLC etc. I also like the modest classical proportions and size (I am guessing your Rolex is probably around 34mm diameter?) but that is small by today's standard hence I suppose why Rolex has beefed up their watches size with the supercase in order to appeal to modern tastes, but I do love the traditional size and svelte Oyster case of yesteryear of which yours is a wonderful example :)

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wondered how I missed so many TWAT posts. Bam! TC gets a Roo! Also great pics everyone! A speedy, vintage rollie with a great story, and a stick dial oyster DJ.

As for the watch/hobby room in the new house, the house we just put an offer on has enough rooms for me to have my own unless we have sets of twins or something in the future. An improbable situation that could occur on January 31st, 2014 is: Civil ceremony wedding, both sets of parents in town, closing on selling/buying a house. Oh and there is a black and blue gift in there as well. . .
bounce2.gif

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That "superlative chronometer" schtick goes back a whole lot longer than just nowadays - my 1964 day-date had it. The "It takes a whole year to make one" is a more recent construct, though.
medium800.jpg

Last edited:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Ah thanks Roger... Do you know when Rolex made the switch to "Superlative"?

Btw a beautiful DD. There's a wonderful depth to the dial with the baton markers and I love the minute track :)

Last edited:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
P.S. sorry I meant "T Swiss Made T" on mine, cf. "T Swiss T" on yours Roger... Is there a difference in terms?

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Wow, a whole room, Dino? All I get is a bookcase in the study!

TC: congrats! Looks gorgeous. Very happy for you, and I'm sure that will be a long-term keeper. I'd say it was well worth the trek westward on I-10.....next time get us an action wrist shot at Buc-ee's with some beaver nuggets!

Also, great Rolex action the last couple pages, guys...and not just sports models (!)....well-played, sirs.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of old rolexes on leather straps, getting this guy ready for sale. :)

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much to everyone for the kinds words. I love this watch, and this is satisfying an itch I've had for years that developed into a full on obsession after following this thread and all the 15202, 15300 and 15400 discussion and pron. I couldn't be happier with the decision. This is a very sentimental buy for me and I doubt I will ever sell this one.

Hey TC, congrats on a great choice!  Its a watch that you will grow to enjoy more with each day that you wear it.  While I admit there are a few other pieces I'd like to add to my collection in the future, I honestly find it very difficult to NOT wear my RO.  It probably gets a good 90-95% of my wrist time during the year.  I just love the way the watch feels, the finish, the overall design, and the quality.  I find myself taking a minute or two each day just to admire the dial, or the way the light dances off the beveled edges of the case and the edges of the smaller bracelet links.   I hope that you enjoy your RO as much as I adore mine.  Good luck with it and congrats on a real beauty! 

Also, in case the dealer did not mention it, be sure to register your watch on line with AP.  They will send you a sticker that will go in the owners manual and as long as you have AP inspect the watch and do what I believe is a pressure test before the 2nd year of the warranty ends, they will extend the warranty to a 3rd year.

Again congrats and enjoy your beautiful new watch. 

Dino, a very, very special thanks to you for your advice in the process. The APs I had tried on in Houston had obviously been polished and I could never have appreciated the beauty of the bezel and the bracelet in new condition. Some day I probably will get an AP on a strap, but I'm so glad I went with a model on a bracelet for this first one.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This day, TWAT hath given me 2 new goals:

1. An AP RO

2. Building an addition to make a hobby room in my house

Trust me, you won't regret either of them.
Hi all!

First time poster. Thought I'd contribute this vintage Rolex bubbleback I inherited from my deceased grandfather. Had it cleaned and restored. Not the original strap but I quite like the crocodile brown leather replacement he chose. Excuse the Instagram filter.

Great vintage Rolex Date-Just. Its very cool that the bezel is so worn, proof that your grandfather really gave this piece a lot of wrist time. I'm sure knowing that your grandfather wore it so much adds a lot of meaning to having this wonderful watch. Just a quick thought, you mentioned it being a "Bubbleback", but I do not think its a bubble back. I believe it is a very old vintage Datejust as indicated by the dial, the date and cyclops. I am far from an expert (and there could be a few exceptions out there) but it doesn't appear to have one of the cases or dials that I'm used to seeing with "Bubblebacks." Also, most Bubblebacks predate the Datejusts and I'm not sure that there was an overlap in production. Still a beauty and a great watch! Thanks for sharing some photos with us.

Interviewing today so having to be timely

x-post
Great watch, good luck with your interview.

I think it's a pity that Rolex no longer seem to make the kind of more classical dress watches that they did in the past such as your beautiful vintage, as I think they would sell very well. The Cellini range is nice with some Art Deco-esque designs but are overlooked even by Rolex aficionados who tend to look to other brands for classical dress watches - JLC etc. I also like the modest classical proportions and size (I am guessing your Rolex is probably around 34mm diameter?) but that is small by today's standard hence I suppose why Rolex has beefed up their watches size with the supercase in order to appeal to modern tastes, but I do love the traditional size and svelte Oyster case of yesteryear of which yours is a wonderful example
smile.gif
As for lamenting that Rolex doesn't make the kind of classic dress watches they made in the past, Andy's watch appears to be a Datejust. Sure there has been an evolution, but the basic DNA is the same if you look at a Datejust from the 1960s, 1980s, the early 2000s and even today. Until the most recent version of the DJ with solid bracelet links, main details that changed were the hands and hour markers. Now they have been beefed up and the cases are a bit different, but as you are aware that is because of the public's demand for larger watches. As in any business companies tend to focus where they think they will be most successful. 32mm to 34mm round watches (rectangles/squares wear larger) just are not going to sell in volume today (except maybe to women). Even traditional dress watch makers such as PP, AP, VC, JLC, and Piaget have beefed up the sizes of the majority of their dress watches. Years ago Calatravas were 32-34mm, and other famous brands made men's dress watches in the same sizes. Today I believe there is only one men's Calatrava that is 35mm. While the the bulk of Patek's men's collection (and those of other fine brands) generally focus on sizes of 37-38mm or larger. So its not Rolex failing to give the public what they want, its Rolex and traditional watch companies all responding to what the people are asking for.

You are right that people often overlook the Cellini line of watches, some of which are quite nice. However, part of that was Rolex's doing, by not really focusing or developing that line up until more recently. In addition, at the price range Cellinis they fall into, often one can get a watch from a brand that has a stronger reputation for making dress watches, and for making movements that are more finely finished. I'm not sure that's drastically different than if Nike offered dress shoes for say $500. They could be very good shoes, but I wonder how many people would spend that rather than buying say a pair of Aldens for similar money (or not much more).
As for the watch/hobby room in the new house, the house we just put an offer on has enough rooms for me to have my own unless we have sets of twins or something in the future. An improbable situation that could occur on January 31st, 2014 is: Civil ceremony wedding, both sets of parents in town, closing on selling/buying a house. Oh and there is a black and blue gift in there as well. . .
bounce2.gif
Wow, sounds like a very full plate. Wishing you luck on everything...and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of the black and blue GMT when it arrives.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If there is a significance to the difference in terms, it is lost on me. But there are Rolex forums where the meaning of all manner of arcane markings is well known. Just don't use words like "overstatement" (which is actually quite kindly put) when you ask about the "superlative" question. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads