• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
@KBW Some of their none PVD offerings looked nice, but I'm not up for pre order quite yet.

Yeah I only pre ordered the phantom m1 because he only has a few of the extra phantom crystals. It will be much more versatile than the m4 I have now.

Went and tried the Orange BR01 and it just wasn't me. If I get a B&R it'll be this one.

DSC_1286.jpg

c_del

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
C_Del. This watch uses quartz actually which is the only downfall of the watch (supposedly a high quality quartz but to me quartz=quartz no matter what it is other than the $5 movements). The owner offers free battery replacement/pressure testing for the life of the watch. I went downtown to a packed out bar last night and must have had 30 comments on the watch because the lume was so bright. Other than a g-shock this is one of the only quartz movement watches I own and I'd definitely buy it again if I had it to do over. I actually have an M1 with Phantom crystal on custom order. Here is a pic of a M2 and its lume in a semi dark picture (not my picture of course as these aren't available yet)
Thanks, ya I saw they're quartz which I agree is less than ideal. However the total package does seem too nice to pas up for that fact and at this price. I'm assuming it's probably some Asian movement, possibly Miyota....but who knows? Have you heard when the watches with green lume, in general, will start shipping? Also, how much extra is it for phantom crystal on the M1/2 and what kind of time does that add to shipping time?

Thanks again!

KBW

Reaction score
C_Del the M1/M2 are finished and assembled he is just waiting for the bracelets which are held up at customs but should be to him anyday. I'm waiting for my m1 phantom as well. I think the m4's 55 are about totally sold. I think the m1 and m2 look better and the greenish white lume is even brighter than the orange so they should go quicker but more of those were made than m3's and m4's. He should have renamed the m3 and m4 to m1 and m2 since they are the first to come out (would make sense if the company ever had any longevity as far as being collectible is concerned). He told me before who made the quartz but my mind is dead and you can ask him at [email protected] and he usually answers any ?'s pretty quickly.

c_del

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
C_Del the M1/M2 are finished and assembled he is just waiting for the bracelets which are held up at customs but should be to him anyday. I'm waiting for my m1 phantom as well. I think the m4's 55 are about totally sold. I think the m1 and m2 look better and the greenish white lume is even brighter than the orange so they should go quicker but more of those were made than m3's and m4's. He should have renamed the m3 and m4 to m1 and m2 since they are the first to come out (would make sense if the company ever had any longevity as far as being collectible is concerned). He told me before who made the quartz but my mind is dead and you can ask him at [email protected] and he usually answers any ?'s pretty quickly.
Agreed on much of that. Thank you, I will shoot off an email!

KBW

Reaction score
I pre-ordered this Ocean7 LM-7 and just received notification it is coming out soon so I guess this "Ploprof homage" will be my next watch. It is rare that a "homage" watch is much nicer than the original but this one should be. It has a stronger pressure rating and better movement than the original.
LM7-5.jpg

KBW

Reaction score
Should I buy the ploprof homage or the one to the right of it in the picture above? The one to the right is the first watch made by this company and is 1 of 150. I am selling off my watches and trying to cut down for the most part so I don't want to buy both.

c_del

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Should I buy the ploprof homage or the one to the right of it in the picture above? The one to the right is the first watch made by this company and is 1 of 150. I am selling off my watches and trying to cut down for the most part so I don't want to buy both.
While I love Omegas (I own a few), I just cannot come to love the PloProf. It's certainly a legend in its own right, but I think the combination of the large case and small dial kills its charm for me. Love the bezel turning button though, even if it is somewhat redundant. What kind of movement in in this watch? Personally I would buy the first number of the first watch made by the company. Both for looks and functionality and for its collectible value someday.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c_del
While I love Omegas (I own a few), I just cannot come to love the PloProf. It's certainly a legend in its own right, but I think the combination of the large case and small dial kills its charm for me. Love the bezel turning button though, even if it is somewhat redundant. What kind of movement in in this watch? Personally I would buy the first number of the first watch made by the company. Both for looks and functionality and for its collectible value someday.

Yeah the owner says that the ploprof version (real name is the LM-7 for this company) is going to have a high number sold as the cost to make them was very high and the #'s have to be up to make money. I like it just because I really like tool watches. If the guy responds to me I'll buy the LM-1 and hint to my fiance to cover the rest of the cost of the LM-7 for my Christmas present. The movement is a modified swiss eta 2824-2. Here's the link and NO this is not how much it costs (it is MUCH cheaper than the price on the page) this website is not supposed to be out yet and it does not really work (you can add to the cart and try to buy but it won't work). http://www.ocean7watchco.com/cs1/ind...&product_id=17

mikeman

Reaction score
Hey everybody.I am looking for a new watch,and am looking to spend about 500 dollars,since Im a college student. Looking for something that can be work casual as well as dressed up.I have always liked panerai ,but $$$$ is an issue there. Recently I have noticed the Lum-tec watches and seem to be a great watch/value. What do you guys think of them as far as looks?Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Hey everybody.I am looking for a new watch,and am looking to spend about 500 dollars,since Im a college student. Looking for something that can be work casual as well as dressed up.I have always liked panerai ,but $$$$ is an issue there. Recently I have noticed the Lum-tec watches and seem to be a great watch/value. What do you guys think of them as far as looks?Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
For $500 if I had one watch I'd go for the Seiko Sumo. The quality in comparison to the price with this watch is unbeatable. It is 44mm which is a common size for some Panerai. Pic (actual watch comes on very nice bracelet and not this strap) and then link to buy.
watch.jpg
http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...c_SBDC001.html

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
The IWI Marine Diver is a high-quality Panerai homage (not a fake, does not say Panerai anywhere) and is right in your price range. they're also very versatile due to the amazing selection of different straps available from the Panerai community. PM me if you need help sourcing one. Hamilton, Seiko, Bernhardt, etc. are all available in your price range, as well as Swiss Army.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
The IWI Marine Diver is a high-quality Panerai homage (not a fake, does not say Panerai anywhere) and is right in your price range. they're also very versatile due to the amazing selection of different straps available from the Panerai community. PM me if you need help sourcing one.

Hamilton, Seiko, Bernhardt, etc. are all available in your price range, as well as Swiss Army.

You can get a marine diver for $500? They are ok but too close to the Marine Militares or whatever and those are as cheap (POS) of a watch as you can get.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Guess I was thinking of something else. Could have sworn IWI's were around 1200 but this one is only 300 (found after quick search)

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=45801

You were thinking of RXW Marina Militares, the no longer produced (intellectual property won for once!) PAM homage. Incidentally, they originally retailed around $300 as well, albeit that was 6, 7 years ago.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You were thinking of RXW Marina Militares, the no longer produced (intellectual property won for once!) PAM homage. Incidentally, they originally retailed around $300 as well, albeit that was 6, 7 years ago.

You are right. I saw one the other day and I'm always curious of the homages as I have two (PAM 270 and 243 submersible) real ones with the 270 gone pending payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads