• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ More simpler-is-better action from Rolex. This (with no date), no-date oyster, or the perfectly sized 39mm Explorer 1? And there's the Daytona of course. Has to be at least one of them, sooner or later...

Thanks for the Piaget pic, Keith! I think I like the back better than the front, though. Not a lover of skeletons, really. Even cool platinum ones with awesome micro-rotor backside action.

As for you and your nonsense, Frilly, imagine how many "special" Graham Chronofighters you could buy for that. ;)

You can admit it, mimo. Your list should also include a GMT-Master on a Jubilee bracelet. Just like AHNOLD in this surely-SF-and-especially-mimo-approved stylin' pic:

That impeccably tight, "skinny" fit! Those collars! That hair! I mean, it must be a trick of the light or something but you could even glimpse a pocket square peeking out there. Come on. Style maven fo sho!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can admit it, mimo. Your list should also include a GMT-Master on a Jubilee bracelet. Just like AHNOLD in this surely-SF-and-especially-mimo-approved stylin' pic:

That impeccably tight, "skinny" fit! Those collars! That hair! I mean, it must be a trick of the light or something but you could even glimpse a pocket square peeking out there. Come on. Style maven fo sho!
Not trying to be Arnold, but in my opinion it's certainly a great watch.

Especially on the Super Jubilee.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Root beer. Nipple dial. Jubilee or brown leather. Live happily ever after!

Cylon

Reaction score
esp on kate upton?
nest.gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You can admit it, mimo. Your list should also include a GMT-Master on a Jubilee bracelet.

I admit a GMT could also be an option. Although I don't like the Jubilee bracelet very much. But then we get into GMT options - vintage "Pepsi", "Coke", new black'n'blue? I really don't know. Anyway, academic for now, but maybe if someone accepts the consultancy proposal I'm currently writing - I will then consult with you!

**ignoring Cylon deliberately**

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit a GMT could also be an option. Although I don't like the Jubilee bracelet very much. But then we get into GMT options - vintage "Pepsi", "Coke", new black'n'blue? I really don't know. Anyway, academic for now, but maybe if someone accepts the consultancy proposal I'm currently writing - I will then consult with you!

The great thing with the older version is that you have so many more options. I also have the oyster bracelet and could easily get the black and the red/black insert if I wanted.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looked pr0n-worthy to me (from Hodinkee) the Piaget Only Watch for 2013 (showing the backside for mimo LOL):

inlove.gif
Love that watch! Very elegant and beautifully made.
Honestly, that is the only watch that would district me from Patek and AL&S in that price range, other than some indies.

In my opinion, one of the most gorgeous watches I have ever seen. It would be a completely emotional purchase, but damn, that watch is just gorgeous.

I love the sight of the balance wheel sneaking out from the back.
Piaget is one of those brands that I always tell people is under appreciated, and I'd put it up against any of the "Big 3" in terms of quality. I might say, AL&S has a slight an edge on them when it comes to finish, but I have seriously given a lot of thought to their Altiplano as my first round dress watch at some point.
I have been looking at other manufacturers for some time; AP has some classic pieces, and the 15202ST would really be a great companion piece to my PP 5711/1A. However, since I'm also a fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the AP ROO T3 just really sings to me for a variety of reasons:

I mean, the case back is something of a robust variety that even a skeptic like mimo would appreciate. BOOM!

I am just kidding.
Glad to hear you are just kidding. If you were to remove the movement from the T3, you might be able to put the entire 5711 watch case inside the T3...just kidding. The T3 is ridiculous looking and its size is totally unwearable...15.65mm thick x 61mm total length x 57.2mm wide...unless you plan to wear it Flava Flav style around your neck.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The most iconic of Ahh-Nold's watches is the AP "End of Days" RO. He wore it in the movie of the same name and those sell for many times their original price and collectors love them. I've never been a fan of it. [/FONT]

Really? For some reason or another, I really don't mind the Piaget branding on it. The fact that it is on the rotor makes it pretty unobtrusive to me. It is fairly large though!
+1. I don't mind the branding on it. I think its quite reasonable considering there is so much to look at and skeleton watches can look so busy that its easy to lose the branding. I've seen it don't more discreetly by VC and AP skeletons, but to be honest, I actually like the way Piaget did it on this piece.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Start with a 16610 Sub (D-Series or later). You will never regret that.

Cylon

Reaction score
Frankly I cannot decide between a 5513, 1675 or a 1680

OmegaMale, can you explain to me why you say "D-Series or later" or perhaps point me toward an article?

is it about the bracelet?

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OmegaMale, can you explain to me why you say "D-Series or later" or perhaps point me toward an article?

My first and only vintage so far was pretty easy for me.

I went with a Red 1680.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would go for the 1675 or the 1680. Aesthetically though, I think I do prefer the pepsi 1675. Just such a damn good looking watch. I have really been craving one.

The 1655 is also just super cool. One of my favorite references.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads