• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Seiko orange monsters really catch the eye. I like the bezel. My device doesn't want to upload dog pics for some reason....

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need an ultra slim dress watch. :(

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
i need an ultra slim dress watch.
frown.gif

The more I read this thread, the more meaningless my definition of "need" becomes...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, for the past 20 odd years i have been using need for want. that should clear things up for you.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's nothing. You should see the bracelet on my wife's Tank Francaise. If I didn't know better I would think she ties to the back of her car each morning and drags it to work.

Pics didn't quite capture the extent of scratching, but yeah, I believe ya with your wife's Tank. I admit I get a bit nervous when my wife puts on the 5040 (her favorite) or the 3970, but somehow she takes better care of those versus the ones on steel bracelets.

First, and most important, Kate Up... err your presence has been missed on this thread, immensely.
I am so glad that my current lady friend has inexpensive tastes
smile.gif
. Thank goodness she has not googled my watches yet.
nest.gif

Hah hah, thanks Newcomer. How are the review sessions coming along (or have I been gone for so long that you're already done!)?

My wife has incredibly strong willpower. She is actually well versed in fine timepieces and jewelry (pearls, diamonds, etc) - but she would never spend for herself (although she enjoys looking and learning quite a bit). I have become her enabler on the timepiece side.

Also, had a little photo shoot tonight, thought y'all may enjoy!

I love these watches of yours, and I love how you take great pictures of them. Kudos to you and Stitchy for continuing to fuel TWAT with these awesome shots.

As for me today, a not-so-awesome shot of summer wear with my trusty 3970 in yellow gold. Off-white linen pants, purple striped socks from Phineas Cole, olive wingtips from Corthay. Who's afraid of wearing green and purple? Not the Incredible Hulk. And certainly not me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino-- great looking pup, what breed is that? Looks kinda like a chow/malamute mix to me...
Nope, he's much larger than those breeds. He is about 145 lbs, and maybe closer in size to a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. See below for the answer.
Is Thor a Leonberger?

Here is Jabba

Named after Jabba Jahda Ah Der Ahd,
Jabba's a handsome pup. They gray whiskers suggest he is a senior citizen in the dog world? Nope, Thor isn't a Leonberger, although that is another good guess. I like Leonbergers. Really beautiful dogs, although I've only ever seen one in person once. Thor is an Ovcharka. They are from Eastern Europe and love cold weather and snow.
Re: product placement, iirc JLC is Tony Stark's watch of choice, at least in the first movie. They even got the name in the script
You may want to check on that. I was fairly certain that he had a Bvlgari...although maybe I'm remembering a different Iron Man movie.
oh, for the past 20 odd years i have been using need for want.
I do that all the time!!! It must be a SF thing...or maybe the result of my eating too many Hamentashen over the years!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First Iron Man he wore Bulgari.
Second he wore JLC.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics didn't quite capture the extent of scratching, but yeah, I believe ya with your wife's Tank. I admit I get a bit nervous when my wife puts on the 5040 (her favorite) or the 3970, but somehow she takes better care of those versus the ones on steel bracelets.

Hah hah, thanks Newcomer. How are the review sessions coming along (or have I been gone for so long that you're already done!)?

My wife has incredibly strong willpower. She is actually well versed in fine timepieces and jewelry (pearls, diamonds, etc) - but she would never spend for herself (although she enjoys looking and learning quite a bit). I have become her enabler on the timepiece side.

As for me today, a not-so-awesome shot of summer wear with my trusty 3970 in yellow gold. Off-white linen pants, purple striped socks from Phineas Cole, olive wingtips from Corthay. Who's afraid of wearing green and purple? Not the Incredible Hulk. And certainly not me.

Hey Frills,

On the few occasions where the Mrs. did wear one of my watches, my old Explorer 114270 and a Daytona, she was much more careful with the watches than she normally is. Although, I was still a bit nervous. Her Cartier TF takes a real beating as her daily wearer. Her dressier watch is a steel and rose gold Datejust, that she rarely wears. She has talked about getting a real dress watch, JLC Reverso or Piaget. She is very well versed in watches and jewelry (she might even be a bigger movement snob than me. She won't consider a quartz watch. I even have to remind her I own a quartz watch, a ref 17000 Rolex OYSTERQUARTZ). I think when push come to shove, generally she would rather have jewelry than another watch.

IIRC Newcomer should still be studying. The Bar exams are (or at least used to be) around the last week in July. Keep studying Newcomer!

Hulk Like green and purple together. Hulk also a fan of Phineas Cole socks and neckties.

NonServiam

Reaction score
That MUT Moon! :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm pushing that one to the very top of my list. It will complement my chrono very nicely.

Just love a blued seconds (or chrono) hand :slayer:

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks bud, learned from the best. Thought I might as well (finally) put that Rubi square to use :).

The Orange Monster is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is officially the oldest watch in my collection. If you can afford it, I strongly urge anyone to purchase.

Very nice.

Thanks trip-d.

i need an ultra slim dress watch. :(

No need to be sad, nothing is better than when you have convinced yourself you "need" something.

That JLC is just gorgeous.

Thanks Roger!

The more I read this thread, the more meaningless my definition of "need" becomes...

There is no want, only need.

Very nice. Batman challenging the hulk. I need to pick up another pair of Corthays. Unfortunately, I bought my first pair a little too big. Bought them after a long day walking around in Paris, and when I came back stateside, they were half a size too big. Alas!

And the review is coming along... about halfway there.

And you? An enabler? I am shocked...

That MUT Moon! :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm pushing that one to the very top of my list. It will complement my chrono very nicely.

Just love a blued seconds (or chrono) hand :slayer:

That may be my favorite dress chrono. And that includes the "big dogs." It amazes me how much the 'feel' of the various watches in the Master collection differ. The blue seconds hand seriously makes those watches too.

My man! (blue monster looks even more ridiculous next to all the fine watches in this thread)

Ooooh a blue monster! Snazzy! Hey, there is no need to be ashamed of a Monster. It holds its own more than adequately. In house movement--check; original design--check; built like a tank--check; one of the best bracelets ever--check; quirky--check. What is not to love?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads