1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

In addition to the caseback; on the 2500 models, the OMEGA on the dial is printed and the SEAMASTER is printed white. On the 8500 models, the OMEGA is applied and the SEAMASTER is printed orange.

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

dude was sketchy. not sure what he was up to, but nothing good.

he was pretty WASPy and arrogant. if i had to guess he knew it was fake and was trying to get one over, he was jittery from the get go and way over dressed like he was forcing an impression.

whole thing was very weird.

good info. thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

No problem!

1 person likes this.
  4. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

way over dressed! for a styleforum man to say that he must have been in a stroller.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

This. [​IMG]

I would gladly join for a couple of cervezas.

6. luvmalik

luvmalik Well-Known Member

hi, first time poster in this thread.

planning to buy a panerai for myself.

confused between pam0048 and pam00176. pls help me

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:lol:

he was a little kid and he had put on a jacket and tie with his cords, it looks ridiculous and he was clearly trying to put on a show. we regularly buy 5 figure diamonds and most people are in jeans or slacks. the whole sitch was just weird.

8. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

48 is a 40mm steel case auto. 176 is a 44mm Ti case hand-wound. Very, very different choices. I find the 44mm HW fits closer to the wrist and more comfortable than the 40mm autos. The 44mm HW is more "historic" and more representative of the Panerai brand, so it would be the one I would favor of the two, but that's just me. Plus, I like the lighter weight and darker mat grey of the Ti.

9. Betelgeuse

Question guys: I was watching a video about the Longines Conquest or that name and the guy was saying that the manufacturer in the manual says that the date should not be change between 4 and 8. I was wondering if that is a standard on every mechanical watch.

10. SF96136

SF96136 Member

Keith, that's lovely! I like the 38mm size, but I'm torn between original and new versions: there's less subdial overlap on the original version, but the new version has a glass caseback.

[​IMG]

11. luvmalik

luvmalik Well-Known Member

hey thx for your promt reply. any other panerai u suggest i should look at

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

^ there are so many choices. I spent a good year deciding what I wanted and what I wanted originally wasn't I ended up with. it is best to decide what is most important to you.

hand wound vs auto; in-house vs. ETA movement, what case you like, etc.

13. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

^^
    That's good advice right there. Figure out what's important to you first then see what models cover those points.

I have had several and love them all. 112, 103, 251, 228, 288, 190, 170, 236. Wife has a 49. For me, the 112 and 103 get the most wrist time. The 236 proved too heavy for daily wear. Again, that's just me.

14. suaviter

suaviter Well-Known Member

Good advice. I regret getting one with a date as well as a second hand .. would prefer 112 two-hander if I could do it again.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

BINGO! Panerai and their watch naming system...I know I always grumble about it but it is a lot easier to say Panerai (pick a sub-category) then number system

AP Royal Oak 15202
    Rolex Submariner ...
    Omega Speedmaster ... (Though this numbering system is quite long)

Throw stones at me or whatever but that's all I wanted to state.

I did like the Panerai 80 with the blue face tho...

16. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Between 8 and 4? I dont think its that wide but I've always heard between 10mp and 2am it shouldn't be changed on mechanical movements because the process is already being undertaken by the watch and you can strip or slip fragile gears etc.

17. Betelgeuse

That sounds more reasonable.

18. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

hey guys,

any tips on buying a secondhand watch? is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? The watch will come with box and papers, and I will obviously inspect the case and bezel for dings, but is there anything else that may be indicative of wear that I may not have thought of/may not be immediately apparent? The warranty is also out of date. Is that going to be as big of an issue as I am imagining?

Thanks so much!

Also, maybe you guys can direct where I should be looking.

was thinking of any of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gold rolex was basically spurred because both my sister and her boyfriend recently got them so that is obviously a factor. But then again, I have always had a fascination with JLC. I was originally planning on just going to get a brand new JLC (didn't even think to buy secondhand) but then I stumbled upon a post here where there is a seller in my area. Any thoughts?

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're getting. Some things aren't apparent till you open them up.

20. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

hey! just edited my above post with my options. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.