• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldcava

Reaction score
Can I take the temperature of the forum on the JLC Memovox?

I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly).

Does this make it any more or less desirable..

Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication?

Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aww...it's only the internet, D. Which PAM do you have? There are quite a few owners here, and I'm becoming weirdly fascinated by them....

Of course you are!

PAM332 "1950 regatta rattrapante" from one of mimo's favorite movies, "The Expendables."

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
CC: My unreliable and ill-informed opinion is that it's cool. A mechanical alarm these days strikes me (no pun intended!) as a delightful anachronism. Like you said, the "Memovox" has been around for decades in a very similar style, and I think it's distinctive and has integrity. I saw one in the local dealer the other day. I dig it. Like a poor man's minute repeater!

Frilly, you really don't know about my taste in movies..haha. And that's...er...not very me! Man, they're really doing a lot of good placement for their target audience, aren't they?! I'm still drawn to the base Luminor....although the other day I saw a platinum Radiomir and it's haunted me!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly).

Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication?

I really think that you cannot go wrong with either of them. The Reverso may have a longer history, and perhaps more illustrious, but the Memovox is one of the great watches of the 50s and 60s. I think that it is really dependent upon the type of watch you want, and whether a watch with an alarm appeals to you. Personally, I think an alarm complication is pretty darn cool and useful. However, the Reverso is a watch with an outstanding provenance.

When it comes to the JLC Master series or the Reverso series, you really, really cannot go wrong.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Memovox are cool. I like them.

The alarm is slightly irritating though. It's really more a novelty than anything nowadays but many would call mechanical watches in general a novelty.
You can really only set the alarm to about +/- 5 min of accuracy.
You have to remember to keep the alarm ringer wound up.
You have to remember to put the alarm crown in the correct position.
The sudden buzzing on your wrist can startle the hell out of you.

Also, when the ringer is wound down and you're not using the alarm, moving your hand around will make a clicking noise near the time the alarm is set.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.[/quo
uote]

I have looked at them from time to time when they come up but I know they would only partly satisfy my desire for the Memovox Deep Sea.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CC: My unreliable and ill-informed opinion is that it's cool. A mechanical alarm these days strikes me (no pun intended!) as a delightful anachronism. Like you said, the "Memovox" has been around for decades in a very similar style, and I think it's distinctive and has integrity. I saw one in the local dealer the other day. I dig it. Like a poor man's minute repeater!

Frilly, you really don't know about my taste in movies..haha. And that's...er...not very me! Man, they're really doing a lot of good placement for their target audience, aren't they?! I'm still drawn to the base Luminor....although the other day I saw a platinum Radiomir and it's haunted me!

I have absolutely no idea about your taste in movies... but I thought that picture might entertain you anyway!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Memovox is awesome. I should've gotten this watch when I had the chance. Personally I find it more interesting than the (very elegant ) Reverso..
Can I take the temperature of the forum on the JLC Memovox? I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly). Does this make it any more or less desirable.. Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication? Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.
Mimo, have you tried on the Rads? They sit very differently than the Luminors, and I kinda dig it.
CC: My unreliable and ill-informed opinion is that it's cool. A mechanical alarm these days strikes me (no pun intended!) as a delightful anachronism. Like you said, the "Memovox" has been around for decades in a very similar style, and I think it's distinctive and has integrity. I saw one in the local dealer the other day. I dig it. Like a poor man's minute repeater! Frilly, you really don't know about my taste in movies..haha. And that's...er...not very me! Man, they're really doing a lot of good placement for their target audience, aren't they?! I'm still drawn to the base Luminor....although the other day I saw a platinum Radiomir and it's haunted me!

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah. Here is a real watch.

Took it outta the box and immediately swapped out the bracelet for my hornback, which looks a lot better on this than my Sub. The bracelet is quite nice, though.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Bell & Ross: it seems to be a rather contrived brand, like Haagen-Daaz. Their first watches were interesting, especially the quartz models like the Demineur and the multifunction dress models. Others were basically pricier versions of Sinn models. Sinn, B&R and Damasko seem to have had production source ties at one point. Now they seem to have gone crazy.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Aww...it's only the internet, D.  Which PAM do you have?  There are quite a few owners here, and I'm becoming weirdly fascinated by them....

ive loved every PAM ive owned...and thats a long list. 112, 113, 88,89, 231, 49, 217, 127, and the 196. overpriced, but fantastic watches. Im a huge panerai fanboi.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am a big fan of the memovox. not for the function, i doubt id ever use it. but the mechanics are very interesting, and a lot of the models are great looking.

off hand, these are still my faves of the memovox models, and both are watches i really would love to own one day.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Derek, that's all I needed to cool my enthusiasm, thank you. Haha, just kidding....kind of.
tongue.gif

RN, I haven't actually, but in a way I like the look of them more. Might go kick tyres at the Pan shop tomorrow...the guy there is bored enough not to mind! The only thing is I like that you can change the strap easily on the Luminor, and all that custom business.

CC, what I forgot to add was that personally I really like a whole load of JLCs. The Geographic (and World), the Home Time, the Grand Ultra Thin, and many others. And if I were to buy one, it would probably be a simple Reverso Grande Taille at the very top of the list, simply because there's nothing like a Reverso made by anyone else, and for me that's the quintessential one. Every other watch they make probably has alternatives from other makers. As for the Memovox, it too is distinctive and I like it in itself, but it's not my first pick personally. Just others are prettier, which influences me more than most other criteria.

Stich, but that is quite pretty indeed....stupid strap though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are effing gorgeous. its hurts how bad i want one now, after reading up on it again and looking at pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads