• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitch and i were talking about this watch yesterday...cant believe i forgot to suggest that. The ingy is an awesome watch. Rugged as hell too. I love the bracelet, but it also looks awesome on a strap..IIRC they did an AMG version on a black kevlar strap that was really sporty looking. Not something i typically like at all but it really looked nice on that.

yes

^^i gotta admit, I think specifically because he bought a lange he is entitled to fantastic treatment from lange. These arent $5k watches. hell, if i bought a few 6 figure watches, id expect them to throw me a party at the boutique that resembled a rap video.

The IWC AD in nashville is really great. I went in with zero plan to buy anything and just oogle over some watches...one of the salesmen knew me from the panerai world...They opened a bottle of champagne, gave me a hat, a few hardbound books, a couple magazines....it was like a ******* party. They were fully aware that i was not going to buy anything. But they spent a good 2 hours with me showing me all kinds of watches...taking stuff out of the safe to show, etc. Its not a busy store, but the couple people that did come in were given drinks and shown anything they wanted to see. I really wish i could have bought something, because i think they deserved the business.

yes. i had a similar experience with an AD here. gave me all kinds of JLC swag, shmoozed with me for a hour.... and i know, that if need something, il will always give him a call first. simple reciprocity.

2...they have a myriad of different lasts...if stitch's fat foot can wear em comfortably...anyone can. ;)

yes

^^ i hate you for making me look at those pics. so. *******. nice. GAHHH.

yes

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Never realized there were so many Tennesseans on this thread. I used to live in Memphis, and was in Nashville for a little while. I was just in Nashvegas the other weekend, actually.

next time youre here, let me know! Theres a few SFers in nashville that get together every once in awhile.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
hell, if i bought a few 6 figure watches, id expect them to throw me a party at the boutique that resembled a rap video.

Hilarious.

That's basically what mimo is suggesting for frilly I suppose.

If Daisy Buchanan cried over Gatsby's shirts, what would she do over frillenstein's watch collection?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Hilarious.

If Daisy Buchanan cried over Gatsby's shirts, what would she do over frillenstein's watch collection?

a patek bukkake?

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm too damn curious NOT to ask for some examples please!

:nodding:

It works both ways - serious customers are sometimes openly dismissive/rude to sales staff, who they consider beneath them. I know this probably happens in the US as well, but I can't help but suspect it's more magnified here - I've seen some really really truly terrible behaviour from some customers that would never be tolerated in Australia occur in asia.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regarding the ALS strap story that apropos related, i think it boils down to a few things. as a person who has worked most of my career in sales or sales related positions, in the jewelry industry and others, and both in sales and managerial roles, the onus in my opinion falls on a both parties a little bit.

the customer: i dont know the whole story, but this is what it seems to me. i know everyone wants to hope that because they are a baller people will insta-recognize them without them having to say a word. but i hate to break it to ya, thats not reality. even a-list celebrities sometimes get turned away because they are not recognized. sure, this guy bought a very significant amount of high figure pieces, but guess what, lange makes expensive watches, and i bet there are many customers that spend like he does. and if he did not buy them in that boutique, its highly unlikely that anyone would know that he is a major customer, for all they know he got the watch on ebay.

and lets be honest, the guy is not a fool, he knew he was asking for something a little special. what he should have done, imo, to avoid that, would be to politely walk over to a sales person and either right off ask for a manager, or just put all the cards on the table. hi, my name is so and so, i have been a customer for a long time and have purchased x,y,z.... watches from ADs. i recently bought this strap here and i realize i dont really love it, it was only worn a few times, would it be possible to swap it out for another? i can almost assure you, had he done that, the outcome would have been significantly different.

now, for all i know he said all that, and did just that, but based on the result and what i read, i am confident that he probably just walked in, said hi please exchange this. the salesperson said no, because that is probably their standard policy, and yes all companies need policies or people will abuse them. and he said ok and walked out all mad that they did not recognize him and service him as he deserved. many many issues in these types of situations break down to poor communication. dont wait for people to figure out who you are, just tell them. it saves everyone a lot of aggravation and time. if i am wrong and he did that and was still turned away, whoever made that call is a moron and should be fired.

the salesperson: the hiring process for most of these sales postions is pretty simple, be pretty or handsome and well enough spoken or charismatic, and we will teach you enough product info so you can reasonably sell. many of them dont have much interest in upward mobility, they want to put in their hours, get their commissions (if there are any) and go home and take vacation. very run of the mill wage employees.

for such a person, when a customer walks in out of the blue that you dont know has bought through authorized channels, and asks for a favor, they pick up their head, and politely (hopefully) say, no i am sorry we can not do that. and then they wait for something more exciting to happen or for a smoke break.

a better sales person would have realized that something more might be as stake, asked a few questions to get the whole picture, and then said, let me ask my manager. the manager would have said yes, and everyone would be happy. but, not all sales people are astute like that, and its kind of a pity.

however, the only way to truly fix that, is to hire better people. and better people cost more money. and with all the growth these companies are experiencing that can add up fast. and guess where that cost goes? thats right, right into the price of the watches. because that is business. sure, it would be nice if every company could only employ top notch amazing sales people, but that is just not the reality. that being the case, know that going in, and say what you have to say, dont leave any guess work. and if the person you first speak to is not getting it done, ask someone else.

just my opinion.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

regarding the ALS strap story that apropos related, i think it boils down to a few things. as a person who has worked most of my career in sales or sales related positions, in the jewelry industry and others, and both in sales and managerial roles, the onus in my opinion falls on a both parties a little bit.

the customer: i dont know the whole story, but this is what it seems to me. i know everyone wants to hope that because they are a baller people will insta-recognize them without them having to say a word. but i hate to break it to ya, thats not reality. even a-list celebrities sometimes get turned away because they are not recognized. sure, this guy bought a very significant amount of high figure pieces, but guess what, lange makes expensive watches, and i bet there are many customers that spend like he does. and if he did not buy them in that boutique, its highly unlikely that anyone would know that he is a major customer, for all they know he got the watch on ebay.

and lets be honest, the guy is not a fool, he knew he was asking for something a little special. what he should have done, imo, to avoid that, would be to politely walk over to a sales person and either right off ask for a manager, or just put all the cards on the table. hi, my name is so and so, i have been a customer for a long time and have purchased x,y,z.... watches from ADs. i recently bought this strap here and i realize i dont really love it, it was only worn a few times, would it be possible to swap it out for another? i can almost assure you, had he done that, the outcome would have been significantly different.

now, for all i know he said all that, and did just that, but based on the result and what i read, i am confident that he probably just walked in, said hi please exchange this. the salesperson said no, because that is probably their standard policy, and yes all companies need policies or people will abuse them. and he said ok and walked out all mad that they did not recognize him and service him as he deserved. many many issues in these types of situations break down to poor communication. dont wait for people to figure out who you are, just tell them. it saves everyone a lot of aggravation and time. if i am wrong and he did that and was still turned away, whoever made that call is a moron and should be fired.

the salesperson: the hiring process for most of these sales postions is pretty simple, be pretty or handsome and well enough spoken or charismatic, and we will teach you enough product info so you can reasonably sell. many of them dont have much interest in upward mobility, they want to put in their hours, get their commissions (if there are any) and go home and take vacation. very run of the mill wage employees.

for such a person, when a customer walks in out of the blue that you dont know has bought through authorized channels, and asks for a favor, they pick up their head, and politely (hopefully) say, no i am sorry we can not do that. and then they wait for something more exciting to happen or for a smoke break.

a better sales person would have realized that something more might be as stake, asked a few questions to get the whole picture, and then said, let me ask my manager. the manager would have said yes, and everyone would be happy. but, not all sales people are astute like that, and its kind of a pity.

however, the only way to truly fix that, is to hire better people. and better people cost more money. and with all the growth these companies are experiencing that can add up fast. and guess where that cost goes? thats right, right into the price of the watches. because that is business. sure, it would be nice if every company could only employ top notch amazing sales people, but that is just not the reality. that being the case, know that going in, and say what you have to say, dont leave any guess work. and if the person you first speak to is not getting it done, ask someone else.

just my opinion.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't expect half-literate rednecks to read that, silly.

;)

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love you too, derek.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that view point, Stitch. As someone not in just sales, but specifically the sales of watches, it's great to hear it from the other side.

I may be off base here, but I would expect there to be 'stricter' requirements of sales people working high end goods, no? For example, at a Ferrari dealership, I would expect that the sales people there have been taught how to deal with Ferrari customers - their (many times) needy and entitled demands, right down to the nitty gritty stuff only a Ferrari dealership could offer. I dont' think you could approach a Ferrari customer/client the same way you do a Ford or Toyota or even Lexus customer..

So would someone working at a Lange boutique likely be taught the same - "hey we're dealing with higher clientele here, and there's a higher expectation of our product and therefore our example and our image, and so you should occasionally expect A, B and C from our customers. And this is how we go about it.." I would expect a Lange or Patek boutique to offer a different sales experience than say a Tourneau for example, and I would think they would pride themselves on catering to a higher end of customer as well (in terms of financial resources).

That being said, I definitely hear what you're saying. As customers we have to hold up our end of the deal - and not request/demand things that are not within policy or protocol. It's nice to get favors, but they should not always be expected. When we do get favors and gifts, then it definitely is that cherry on top that sometimes makes for a lasting relationship.

Though not directly in sales, I deal with sometimes entitled customers to a degree, and I'm sure they always think they're right. It's frustrating as hell.

Cylon

Reaction score
NOVA TWAT MEET UP?

that includes you stitchy

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ mimo, I am happy to oblige. Here is my new "two-tone perpetual calendar dual time split seconds chronograph!" That's right, boys and girls. I've got timepieces from Patek that allows for split seconds chronograph functionality - the ability to time two events simultaneously. No, it's not the 5004 or the 5204. I cannot afford either of those pieces. So, instead, I present my innovative split seconds chronograph - dual face watch, yellow gold and platinum, both with silver dials. For the first event I click the top pusher on the platinum, and for the second event I click the top pusher on the yellow gold. Voila! In fact, this "split seconds chronograph" of mine not only allows me to time two events at the same time... it's also a "perpetual calendar dual time" complication, which allows me to track the time/day/date/moonphase for TWO PLACES IN THE WORLD at the same time! How 'bout that! Not even the 5004 or the 5204 can do that! Heh heh.

excellent! :lol:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is why we're friends. you get me.

:nodding:

Thanks for that view point, Stitch. As someone not in just sales, but specifically the sales of watches, it's great to hear it from the other side.

I may be off base here, but I would expect there to be 'stricter' requirements of sales people working high end goods, no? For example, at a Ferrari dealership, I would expect that the sales people there have been taught how to deal with Ferrari customers - their (many times) needy and entitled demands, right down to the nitty gritty stuff only a Ferrari dealership could offer. I dont' think you could approach a Ferrari customer/client the same way you do a Ford or Toyota or even Lexus customer..

So would someone working at a Lange boutique likely be taught the same - "hey we're dealing with higher clientele here, and there's a higher expectation of our product and therefore our example and our image, and so you should occasionally expect A, B and C from our customers. And this is how we go about it.." I would expect a Lange or Patek boutique to offer a different sales experience than say a Tourneau for example, and I would think they would pride themselves on catering to a higher end of customer as well (in terms of financial resources).

That being said, I definitely hear what you're saying. As customers we have to hold up our end of the deal - and not request/demand things that are not within policy or protocol. It's nice to get favors, but they should not always be expected. When we do get favors and gifts, then it definitely is that cherry on top that sometimes makes for a lasting relationship.

Though not directly in sales, I deal with sometimes entitled customers to a degree, and I'm sure they always think they're right. It's frustrating as hell.

glad you appreciated my point of view. i would not say you are off base, but what one should expect and what is reality are two very different things.

regarding boutiques v places like tourneau, its actually the independent places that often have better staff. they are smaller operations, often only one, two or maybe three locations, the owners are often on staff and they can be more particular with who they employ and how they are acting and being more proactive with issues that may arise and training.

with boutiques that are part of an organization of hundreds or even thousands of employees, the dilution from owner to VP to managing directors to hiring directors, to on-site mangers.... can often lead to an average lesser quality of sales staff. now, i have been to boutiques that have absolutely fantastic and super knowledgable sales people, but also places that have a not so great staff. its more of a hit or miss imo.

as a sidebar, in general, be wary of places that are primarily jewelry stores and only carry watches because they need to look a certain way. i find those places usually have the least knowledgable watch sales staff on average, even if they are as nice as can be.

as far as the guys request, i think it was perfectly reasonable for that type of customer to ask for that service, and it should have been granted. sadly, there seems to have been an unfortunate dynamic in the way he asked, and the person he happened upon.

NOVA TWAT MEET UP?
that includes you stitchy

id be glad to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads