• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant702

Reaction score
16520 looking good on this wrist:

A scholar always cites his sources: http://www.mkmotorsport.com/watches_models.htm
C'mon, your not gonna notice the watch
mwink[1].gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Daytona can more than handle the blizzard, and being paired with boots. For me, it was a Royal Oak and jeans with an old pair of Prada boots with a vibram lug sole. It was nice getting out of the office early for the storm. However, I'm dreading the clean up.

Yes, the116520 Daytonas really do have a 72 hour power reserve, provided you are not using the chronograph function...in which case I think it drops off to about 64-66 which is still far better than the power reserve of th previous El Primero based movement.

Hershey's kisses are great...although I'm hoping to get those six pack abs using my wife's homemade apple strudel or chocolate chip cookies. I'll let you know how that goes!

RE: Vibram's lug soles. I love the rugged look to it, and so functional especially in the rain and snow; only thing is that I still wear through the outer sides of the heel anyway, given (a) the way I walk and (b) how much walking I do in NYC. The dress shoes get taps, which I replace every 3-6 months.

Hope the cleanup isn't too bad! Do you need to shovel? You can refuel every few hours with the apple strudel or chocolate chip cookies!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current rotation - more pics on mi tumblor but cannot be bothered to repost all here...

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited the Marina Bay Sands JLC boo-teek yesterday.

I was really only there to check out one watch - the TTR 1931 Rouge model, which is a JLC boutique-only model.

When it first came out in early 2012 my initial reaction was somewhere between bleh and unimpressed, but over the last year or so I've developed... a little bit of an obsession with it.

I mean, look at it (not my photo):

The dial is incredibly responsive to lighting, more so than any other watch I've come across. The red colour can and will vary from vivid crimson red, to carmine red, to clotted dark blood red depending on the ambient lighting, which (to use an overused WIS cliche) makes the watch "come alive" IMO. The colour is not a tinted metal colour like the old coloured Rolex dials from the 80s/90s, it's a solid opaque lacquer type finish, not unlike what you find on Japanese homeware. Beautiful watch.

The strap is terrible though - thin, hard, unimpressive croc that somehow manages to look like embossed calf. This is a watch that cries out for an unlined black cordovan strap, or a nicer croc strap in charcoal grey, not black.

Sadly, I will not be picking it up in Singapore though - the asking price is SGD$12,000 which is USD$9,900 or EUR7,400, i.e. more expensive in Singapore than in the US or Europe!! As a reference point, the European MSRP is EUR6,800. And how much "price consideration" was JLC Singapore willing to offer? All of 0%. Yes - zero, zilch, nada. The salesman helpfully informed me that an owner of a local boutique hotel had purchased 5 of the same watch sans discount, and that I could claim 5.5% detax on my departure from Singapore.

Um, no thanks. medtech_expat's words echoed in my head - "world's most amazing watch showroom"...

There is a lot of new money floating around Singapore now, and given the folk I see buying high end watches and driving high end cars (and what I am hearing from local Singaporeans) I suspect shonky money with origins in PRC public funds.

This excess of money is really being reflected in the "prestige" sector of the watch market - i.e. the higher to top tier brands. You can still get good deals (25+% off) on middle tier brands like Zenith or Omega, but it's getting a lot more difficult to play at the high rollers' table now, especially since apparently the new punters in this particular segment take pride in being able to show that they can afford these watches... without any discount.

I guess it's the inescapable outcome of an economic necessity: that of a small, resource-less country with big ambitions hitching its economic cart to the (currently red hot) PRC engine. :embar:

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's everyone's thoughts on the 39mm Explorer 1? Also, what sort of perception do people have of Rolexes and people who wear them? I think at 39mm, the Explorer 1 is subtle enough to get a pass and mitigate any negative perceptions, no?

I own a 114270. The Explorer is a great watch with a storied history. The up-size of the new model is in line with what many companies are doing. That is, listening to the market and responding accordingly. Though some would say Rolex moves like a glacier. Other than the flaw of the hands being to short it seems to be a nice piece. Most people say that it's got a better bracelet. Small tweaks to the movement hopefully have improved reliability and ruggedness. Pictures of it displayed on top of Everest will say more than words. A lot of people like it. Even Breguet has marketed up-sized pieces in the last few years.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Rolex Exp1 bracelet is much better, more solid feeling, and most importantly - much more satisfying to feel/use than the previous ones.

I think the hands are "too short" only if you are coming from the POV that the 36mm version has a perfect dial-hand length balance, which I think is a subjective thing. Both are nice watches.

Anyway, I felt like sharing some pictures of an old girl after I went through some old posts re: movement finishing...

(yes, I need a new camera badly)

OK, hobnail bezel, enamel dial, heat blued hands, retrograde power reserve, moonphase with day/night indicator, but what about the view from the rear?
pp-1_zps51f83db8.jpg

Hmmm, not much to see here...
pp-2_zpsdb367e3d.jpg

...or is there?
pp-3_zpsa0acae1a.jpg

And another angle
pp-4_zps5c832e22.jpg

The cal. 240 family is coming on 40 years old now, and is the PP equivalent of a "workhorse movement"; their Toyota engine, if you will.

The microrotor movement in its most basic form is still considered remarkably slim (2.4mm... hence cal. 240) and powers various references from simple time-only pieces all the way to perpetual calenders. The cal 240 family has touched nearly every PP collection, ranging from the Aquanauts, to the Ellipses, to the Calatravas, to the Complications, and finally, the Grand Complications. Nearly every single PP posted in this thread has a cal. 240 variant within... think about it.

:slayer:

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited the Marina Bay Sands JLC boo-teek yesterday.

I was really only there to check out one watch - the TTR 1931 Rouge model, which is a JLC boutique-only model.

When it first came out in early 2012 my initial reaction was somewhere between bleh and unimpressed, but over the last year or so I've developed... a little bit of an obsession with it.

I mean, look at it (not my photo):

The dial is incredibly responsive to lighting, more so than any other watch I've come across. The red colour can and will vary from vivid crimson red, to carmine red, to clotted dark blood red depending on the ambient lighting, which (to use an overused WIS cliche) makes the watch "come alive" IMO. The colour is not a tinted metal colour like the old coloured Rolex dials from the 80s/90s, it's a solid opaque lacquer type finish, not unlike what you find on Japanese homeware. Beautiful watch.

The strap is terrible though - thin, hard, unimpressive croc that somehow manages to look like embossed calf. This is a watch that cries out for an unlined black cordovan strap, or a nicer croc strap in charcoal grey, not black.

Sadly, I will not be picking it up in Singapore though - the asking price is SGD$12,000 which is USD$9,900 or EUR7,400, i.e. more expensive in Singapore than in the US or Europe!! As a reference point, the European MSRP is EUR6,800. And how much "price consideration" was JLC Singapore willing to offer? All of 0%. Yes - zero, zilch, nada. The salesman helpfully informed me that an owner of a local boutique hotel had purchased 5 of the same watch sans discount, and that I could claim 5.5% detax on my departure from Singapore.

Um, no thanks. medtech_expat's words echoed in my head - "world's most amazing watch showroom"...

There is a lot of new money floating around Singapore now, and given the folk I see buying high end watches and driving high end cars (and what I am hearing from local Singaporeans) I suspect shonky money with origins in PRC public funds.

This excess of money is really being reflected in the "prestige" sector of the watch market - i.e. the higher to top tier brands. You can still get good deals (25+% off) on middle tier brands like Zenith or Omega, but it's getting a lot more difficult to play at the high rollers' table now, especially since apparently the new punters in this particular segment take pride in being able to show that they can afford these watches... without any discount.

I guess it's the inescapable outcome of an economic necessity: that of a small, resource-less country with big ambitions hitching its economic cart to the (currently red hot) PRC engine.
shog[1].gif
Great review here not just of the dial/watch but of the boutique/location where you saw it being marketed.

"Prestige" is interesting: the Philippines is nowhere near the per capita GDP of Singapore and yet it has boutiques for JLC, Hublot - even Patek Philippe. I guess if there's a large enough sliver of the population willing to shell out that kind of dough for timepieces...

RE: The dial coming alive. Is it much like or comparable to the PP 5711/1A's blue/green dial?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Rolex Exp1 bracelet is much better, more solid feeling, and most importantly - much more satisfying to feel/use than the previous ones.

I think the hands are "too short" only if you are coming from the POV that the 36mm version has a perfect dial-hand length balance, which I think is a subjective thing. Both are nice watches.

Anyway, I felt like sharing some pictures of an old girl after I went through some old posts re: movement finishing...

(yes, I need a new camera badly)

OK, hobnail bezel, enamel dial, heat blued hands, retrograde power reserve, moonphase with day/night indicator, but what about the view from the rear?
pp-1_zps51f83db8.jpg

Hmmm, not much to see here...
pp-2_zpsdb367e3d.jpg

...or is there?
pp-3_zpsa0acae1a.jpg

And another angle
pp-4_zps5c832e22.jpg

The cal. 240 family is coming on 40 years old now, and is the PP equivalent of a "workhorse movement"; their Toyota engine, if you will.

The microrotor movement is in its most basic form is still considered remarkably slim (2.4mm... hence cal. 240) and powers various references from simple time-only ones all the way to perpetual calenders. The cal 240 family has touched nearly every PP collection, ranging from the Aquanauts, to the Ellipses, to the Calatravas, to the Complications, and finally, the Grand Complications. Nearly every single PP posted in this thread has a cal. 240 variant within... think about it.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
A lovely, lovely, lovely timepiece. Love that officer's case! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads