• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylon

Reaction score
Personally, I think the best defence against scratches is a watch that actually fits under one's cuff.

+1

Also regarding Sinn, is there any watch that looks like the 556 without a date window?

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Also regarding Sinn, is there any watch that looks like the 556 without a date window?

Personally, I haven't seen anything like their midnight-blue/black sunburst dial anywhere near that price. No-date baton-marker 556 would have no competition for the money or a fair bit above. As it is, I still think the 556 is the best value out there for a mechanical watch, at least if looks count at all.

This more than adequately fills the role of a non-date 556 for me, but I realize it's not quite the same thing.

'

Same principle, though; simple, rugged, understated watch with small script font on a sunburst dial.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
was actually looking at enicar earlier this morning. love this. I am looking for a lovely inexpensive vintage looking brown strappy watch and this looks perfect

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. To be specific: the same styling as the 556a or 856 but without a date window--has such a thing ever been made (even if its not part of the current line up)?

I'd love a watch like the one above without the date window, though i prefer this one tilted at the 4 o clock infinitely more than the one that floats somewhere in the middle sitting upright

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

was actually looking at enicar earlier this morning. love this. I am looking for a lovely inexpensive vintage looking brown strappy watch and this looks perfect

Thanks! Works perfectly too, which ain't bad considering that it's somewhere around 50 years old and I have no idea when it was last serviced. I mainly use it for lending out as a gateway drug into watch appreciation, but it's always nice when it comes back. The movement in there is of very high quality, but these older watches from now-defunct companies cost very little. The type of skilled blue-collar Swiss labour that was employed in making them is long gone, at least at 1960s rates. It's mostly been replaced by machines, many of which now operate in China while producing movements which are still technically considered "Swiss" due to the loopholes that lower-end companies pushed as a response to the quartz massacre, and I believe is now undermining the credibility of certain players in the industry.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Enicar and it's endured admirably in daily wear on the wrists of non-watch people, so I recommend it highly.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Re: Movado quartz, I have a simple Museum version (white dial on a brown croc strap) which gets very little wrist time anymore, but probably gets the MOST favorable comments of any watch I own.

It kind of kills me a little on the inside, although of course I always just smile and say thanks.

But seriously, props to anybody that applies the appropriate sentimental value for pieces that were gifts, or heirlooms, or purchased to mark milestones, etc.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally, I think the best defence against scratches is a watch that actually fits under one's cuff.

4shore. most of the dings in my watches are from whacking into things at home when im not wearing a jacket and my sleeves are rolled up.

Cylon

Reaction score
squadras and panerais are also just very large to begin with...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On topic, for those of you who own Daytonas I've been told (forewarned) both by my watch service guy as well as my AD that the bezel is easy to scratch and tough to polish because of the engravings. Obviously not a major downside as it hasn't exactly dampened the overall desirability of Daytonas, but for those who wear Daytonas often do you find this to be the case? Do you just take better care if you care not to ding it so much, or do you just end up not minding the scratches?

The Nautilus can be a bit of a scratch magnet but so far I've managed to ding it only very, very slightly.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

squadras and panerais are also just very large to begin with...

:nodding:

thankfully, i am doing really well with the panny tho. squadra needs a servicing and polish. :(

my DJ barely showed a scratch and i beat the crap out of it. i miss it. :(

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tegimented Submarine Steel - SDR

Very tough. I miss it a lot sometimes but I'm sure it's on a more deserving wrist than mine now..

As far as I'm concerned, Sinn owns the under-$3K non-dressy category. They're an established, independent company with some real history — not some fashion-conglomerate-owned shell of a former name or lame-design-having off-the-shelf-Chinese-component-using fly-by-night "microbrand", their service is excellent, their no-BS designs are sober and functional, and they have a long list of useful technical innovations (surface hardening, de-humidification bits, lubricant-free escapements...). In short, they produce handsome, high-quality watches right in Germany, don't try to obfuscate the origin of their (top-grade) ETA movements, and price their stuff fairly.

They have an extensive list of models, although they apparently still haven't figured out how to take flattering photos of their own watches for their site.

If this even remotely appeals, check them out:

By the way, the hardened-steel thing is no joke. Here are my 20 mm and 22 mm bracelet clasps. Guess which one went through a bike crash...

Surprise, it ain't the scratched-up one, it's the one with the tiny dent on the lower left. They've both been subject to equal normal wear, aside from the hardened one taking a spill on asphalt. I don't know about you, but that's the kind of thing that I like having in a casual, everyday watch. One of the best luxuries is not having to worry about your stuff, so by that standard Sinns are extremely luxurious.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On topic, for those of you who own Daytonas I've been told (forewarned) both by my watch service guy as well as my AD that the bezel is easy to scratch and tough to polish because of the engravings. Obviously not a major downside as it hasn't exactly dampened the overall desirability of Daytonas, but for those who wear Daytonas often do you find this to be the case? Do you just take better care if you care not to ding it so much, or do you just end up not minding the scratches?

The Nautilus can be a bit of a scratch magnet but so far I've managed to ding it only very, very slightly.
Yes, the bezel is difficult to polish due to the engraving. I think the few I've seen that were polished you could see some swirl marks showing where they had been polished (then again, I've seen swirl marks on several other brands of watches where people tried to polish out the scratches or dings). Its really very difficult to polish a watch so that it looks as perfect as when it left the factory. I personally would never let anyone other than a factory authorized service center polish any parts of my watches (particularly on a PP, AP, VC, Lange etc) but YMMV. I've seen a the results of a few independent watchmakers who over polished and ruined lugs, rounded off beveled edges, rounded bezels on Royal Oaks and Nautiluses. If they make a mistake on a watch at an authorized service center, you can complain to customer service and get it resolved, maybe a new bezel at their cost. If an indy ruins it, it will basically be at your own expense unless you have very generous watchmaker.

On the Daytona I wore everyday for 5 years, yes it got several scratches. I eventually got use to them. I avoided the polishing issue by requesting a new bezel when it went to RSC in NYC, I think at the time it cost around $125, not sure if the price has gone up. I am pretty careful with most watches now, so I really haven't scratched up the bezels of my Daytonas in recent years.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the bezel is difficult to polish due to the engraving. I think the few I've seen that were polished you could see some swirl marks showing where they had been polished (then again, I've seen swirl marks on several other brands of watches where people tried to polish out the scratches or dings). Its really very difficult to polish a watch so that it looks as perfect as when it left the factory. I personally would never let anyone other than a factory authorized service center polish any parts of my watches (particularly on a PP, AP, VC, Lange etc) but YMMV. I've seen a the results of a few independent watchmakers who over polished and ruined lugs, rounded off beveled edges, rounded bezels on Royal Oaks and Nautiluses. If they make a mistake on a watch at an authorized service center, you can complain to customer service and get it resolved, maybe a new bezel at their cost. If an indy ruins it, it will basically be at your own expense unless you have very generous watchmaker.

On the Daytona I wore everyday for 5 years, yes it got several scratches. I eventually got use to them. I avoided the polishing issue by requesting a new bezel when it went to RSC in NYC, I think at the time it cost around $125, not sure if the price has gone up. I am pretty careful with most watches now, so I really haven't scratched up the bezels of my Daytonas in recent years.

Thanks for this. You know what, I think I've gotten fairly good at taking care to avoid scratches. My Nautilus has one tiny scratch at the bottom part of the bezel but that's about it (fingers crossed). So if I end up going with the Daytona I think I'm fairly confident that I can either avoid major dings, or live with it if it happens. C'est la vie. If it gets too unsightly, I'll have the bezel replaced.

I also tried the Omega Speedmaster Pro at the Omega boutique on Fifth Avenue earlier this morning. Lovely piece and the one with the display back is very nice, but at 42mm it was a bit large for my taste. I know, the Nautilus is 43mm ear to ear but it wears very, very flat and light compared to the Speedy Pro.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for this.  You know what, I think I've gotten fairly good at taking care to avoid scratches.  My Nautilus has one tiny scratch at the bottom part of the bezel but that's about it (fingers crossed).  So if I end up going with the Daytona I think I'm fairly confident that I can either avoid major dings, or live with it if it happens.  C'est la vie.  If it gets too unsightly, I'll have the bezel replaced.

I also tried the Omega Speedmaster Pro at the Omega boutique on Fifth Avenue earlier this morning.  Lovely piece and the one with the display back is very nice, but at 42mm it was a bit large for my taste.  I know, the Nautilus is 43mm ear to ear but it wears very, very flat and light compared to the Speedy Pro.

If you've gotten good at maintaining the condition your Nautilus bezel, you'll be fine with the Daytona.

If going for a Speedy Pro, I'd stick with the classic size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads