• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second and Third Line, crossposted

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like it, and the condition at least in the photo is excellent!  I have often thought that if I got a Patek I would choose a Gondolo or some other rectangular model.
If you don't have a rectangular watch, I highly recommend adding one you your collection.  I love having non-round dress watches.  At times seem a bit more formal and unexpected.  They also look and wear differently than round watches.  You don't have to go very large for them still to look modern.   I wear round sport watches most of the week so if I dress up for an evening out it feels a bit more special to put on a non-round watch.  Maybe like if you wear sneakers much of the week and then you put on a pair of bespoke shoes for nice event.  Just my 2 cents.

I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.

How about a Zenith Port Royal or a IWC Da Vinci the later seems to be a 2 hand bargain.

I also really like Roger Dubuis La Monegasques in the base version, only problem is, it's HUGE.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do any of the Carter Tanks strike your fancy?

johanm

Reaction score
I think Cartier does the best looking rectangular watches - Tank Francaise or Americaine or classic Santos. I'd frankly choose one of those over an uncomplicated Reverso.

Before I really got into collecting, I thought not giving a watch a date function was just a cost saving measure. Now I recognize how often the symmetry of a dial is lost due to a date function. Its really quite sad what a mess companies often make of a dial just to put in a date window.  I think most companies believe adding a date for practicality's sake increases the number of potential buyers.  Just one example, but the Rolex Daytona has been subject to lots criticism for not having a date.  Just research it on TZ.  When Rolex used the Zenith El Primero as a base people ranted about them not making use of the date function that the movement has.  Then some people bitched that the inhouse movement didn't give a date.  I've also seen a ton of posts about people selling them after a short time because they found they can't live with a watch that doesn't have a date function.  So sadly, I think its a bit of management pandering to the masses who complain when a watch doesn't have a date.  I think collectors or those with an interest in design are the ones that more often choose watches without a date.   

I've seen a surprising amount of focus on the date function on TZ. I don't deny that it's useful to be able to glance down and know the date, especially on an absent minded morning, but I don't see how you can spend thousands of dollars on something with such a blatant aesthetic defect. To me it's almost as purpose defeating as a watch that is wildly inaccurate.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I have decided I want to be on the hunt for a Daytona produced during the year I was born 1979 - anyone have any suggestions for where the best places to track one down would be? There is no rush and am happy to just monitor the various watch boards but thought the knowledgeable folks here might have even better leads. Feel free to PM as I don't want to waste others' time on the board.
Also if anyone has thoughts on what would be fair for me to expect to pay I would appreciate the info. Thanks much and have a Happy New Year.

Just wanted to resurface my question if any of the resident forum experts have thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Cylon

Reaction score
CHRK33,

First, I'm jealous of your Reverso!

Second, unfortunately I don't know much about daytonas, but I think youll find better answers on puristspro or timezone!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I echo Cyclon's sentiments. Dino may be able to help you out over here, but you may have better luck on TZ or TPP.

Also, does anyone have any feelings on the Blancpain Villeret Annual Calendar with Moonphase? I just realized that it is potentially in my budget, and it is always a watch I have admired... I cannot find a lick of information about it online though, unfortunately.

And more pics: http://www.europeanwatch.com/16977.htm#_self

Also, as an addendum... I know this may just turn out to be a dumb distraction, but it is always good to exhaust one's options before making a decision.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now yer talkin' :fonz:

:nodding:

I echo Cyclon's sentiments. Dino may be able to help you out over here, but you may have better luck on TZ or TPP.
Also, does anyone have any feelings on the Blancpain Villeret Annual Calendar with Moonphase? I just realized that it is potentially in my budget, and it is always a watch I have admired... I cannot find a lick of information about it online though, unfortunately.

And more pics: http://www.europeanwatch.com/16977.htm#_self
Also, as an addendum... I know this may just turn out to be a dumb distraction, but it is always good to exhaust one's options before making a decision.

i was never all that into it, i thought it was ok. and then a friend of mine got one, and i saw it in person. its gorgeous. love it.

and yes, by all means, get all your options on the table before you seal the deal.

unless you can afford to buy whatever you want whenever you want, that is. :)

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard Blancpain's quality is simply amazing. I would love to see more of them around definitely

i was never all that into it, i thought it was ok. and then a friend of mine got one, and i saw it in person. its gorgeous. love it.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and yes, by all means, get all your options on the table before you seal the deal.
unless you can afford to buy whatever you want whenever you want, that is. :)

Unfortunately, I am definitely not in *that* kind of position, although I am sure that must be nice! I think I will still probably stick with the MUT Moon, but an annual calendar with a moonphase is a hell of a piece! Also, I love the fact that it has a 75 hour power reserve, and that you can change the date at any time.

Yeah I heard Blancpain's quality is simply amazing. I would love to see more of them around definitely

Same here! There is a serious dearth of information available.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it really is. so well finished, and so robust yet simple and classy. its a great watch. they are under appreciated sometimes in general i think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads