• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The View: Nothing predates Jesus in this flat world.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
This is exactly what I was thinking! But the complex theological argument possibility fell through when she said, "I don't think there was anything before Christians." Meaning that nothing existed before human beings who believed in Christ. That makes my head hurt, so I'm forced to conclude that she is just catastrophically obtuse.

Exactly. "There was nothing before Jesus" is a perfectly normal theological position. "I don't think there was anything before Christians" is just idiocy.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Exactly. "There was nothing before Jesus" is a perfectly normal theological position. "I don't think there was anything before Christians" is just idiocy.

Yea except the old testament predates christianity, or were you being sarcastic?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Yea except the old testament predates christianity, or were you being sarcastic?

If you hold to the belief in a triune God in which Jesus is one of the persons of the trinity, then Jesus predates the Old Testament and everything else in the world. This would be a normal thing for a Christian to say, given their beliefs.

Whether or not this is also idiocy is still up for debate.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
^^^ Couldn't have said it better.
smile.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you hold to the belief in a triune God in which Jesus is one of the persons of the trinity, then Jesus predates the Old Testament and everything else in the world. This would be a normal thing for a Christian to say, given their beliefs.

Whether or not this is also idiocy is still up for debate.

Ahh I see. I did not think of the trinity in this way (of Jesus also being infinite, and not having had a "birth").

It's funny to me because even some of the craziest evangelicals will opt for medical treatments for terminal diseases. Science which depends on beliefs and "findings" which are in violation of those held by christians such as the aforementioned.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Usually the pre-incarnate Christ is referred to as 'the Word' (as in John 1) as He didn't become identifiable as Jesus until He was born, ie, became incarnate.

You may now return to your previously scheduled 'The View' bashing.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, although if you go too far in distinguishing between "the Word" before the birth and "Jesus" after the birth, then you fall into the Nestorian heresy. I hear they burn people for that.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If you hold to the belief in a triune God in which Jesus is one of the persons of the trinity, then Jesus predates the Old Testament and everything else in the world.

Except cavemen.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is theologically true,

The Verb existed since ever. he took human form and came as Jesus Christ. But he was there from the begining.

Originally Posted by Augusto86
The best part is...there are, if you take her words @ face value, two alternatives - either she is monumentally stupid, or she is making a complex theological argument. If she believes in a trinitarian God, then such a God, creating all things in the universe, predates everything, and as the Son is a portion of the three-in-one god, the Son, i.e. Jesus, predates the universe.
devil.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking! But the complex theological argument possibility fell through when she said, "I don't think there was anything before Christians." Meaning that nothing existed before human beings who believed in Christ. That makes my head hurt, so I'm forced to conclude that she is just catastrophically obtuse.

Indeed, the Jews came AFTER Christ.
baldy[1].gif

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
That is theologically true,

The Verb existed since ever. he took human form and came as Jesus Christ. But he was there from the begining.

I like that religion where breasts bounce in a bikini, that’s the best religion ever! I’d worship those things everyday.

Jon.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Jesus Christ...is every episode them just talking over each other and trying to get a word in?

When I hear women yapping on like this (Oprah is no better, if a bit more civilized/educated), it makes me think of going gay, but then I realize that the dating pool would include you, Whodini and Connemara, hence I would really not be better off anyway.

BTW, where are all those idiots that post on here about having women as best friends, talking about deep issues with them etc etc. Here are some women for you.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
BTW, where are all those idiots that post on here about having women as best friends, talking about deep issues with them etc etc. Here are some women for you.

Not all women are idiots.
teacha.gif

It pained the misogynist in me to type that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
When I hear women yapping on like this (Oprah is no better, if a bit more civilized/educated), it makes me think of going gay, but then I realize that the dating pool would include you, Whodini and Connemara, hence I would really not be better off anyway.

No, those are "˜stupid bitches'...they are a completely different category of women.

Perhaps you should de-antiquate your thinking and join us in 2007? While I'm sure it's all wonderful seeing everything through 1950's (just to take a stab of the type of era) rose-colored glasses, you should broaden your horizons regarding this issue; I mean if you did it with your sexuality, surely you could do it regarding this.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads