• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few semi-crappy pics of the austerity wing boot on the U last
What I really want to say is how absolutely fantastic the fit is for my first try with them.
For me, the heel cupping & arch support rival St Crispin.
That's saying a lot coming from me, as I'm unremorsefully one of Crispin's biggest fanboys

Even though the dark brown color of the Vass is a little 'flat', the leather itself is fantastic
and will hopefully take to a good burnishing on the toe. Fit pics to follow soon.

Beautiful boots...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, the suede shoes where not unlined.
Below a picture with the two F-lasts, both in size 41. Suede in standard width (F), calf in wide (G). Lacing fully closed on F-width and quite open in G-width.

How bizarre.

All other things being equal (and assuming that each foot is roughly the same dimensions), the lacing on the G-width shoe should close more, as there is additional leather over the top of the shoe.

Sigh - yet more obstacles in the way of figuring out proper sizing in regard to Vass!

Last edited:

Swede66

Reaction score

How bizarre.

All other things being equal (and assuming that each foot is roughly the same dimensions), the lacing on the G-width shoe should close more, as there is additional leather over the top of the shoe.

Sigh - yet more obstacles in the way of figuring out proper sizing in regard to Vass!

Indeed.
It looks the same if I change feet to put suede on right and calf on left.
Both are great shoes, but the sizing part is a bit confusing. Had the calf one's ordered in standard width at first but had them replaced due to width. Still in G width they are more narrow than the suede shoes.

tdude

Reaction score
I must be getting old and stodgy or something, but I find my tastes leaning more toward sleek round toes than chiseled these days. Wasn't too long ago I thought the opposite.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I must be getting old and stodgy or something, but I find my tastes leaning more toward sleek round toes than chiseled these days. Wasn't too long ago I thought the opposite.

I like the rain chiseled last from carmina, but something about the U last is too chiseled/elongated for me

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to do a comparison with the GG TG73 last, I love that last...

tdude

Reaction score
Don't have the 73 or the U. Do have rain and I like it. I like chiseled lasts. In my mind I should prefer them. Modern. Less old man ish. But every time I see a comparison photo between round and chiseled, I find my eye drawn to the round one.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think the U is closer to Rain than the F. But hey - it's why they offer different lasts inthe first place - for different fits and aesthetic preferences. My Vass are mostly U, but I like my two pairs of F last very well and wouldn't change them if I could. Same goes for my lone K last. I dig variety.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Vass are mostly U, but I like my two pairs of F last very well and wouldn't change them if I could. Same goes for my lone K last. I dig variety.

What is the main difference between U and K? Would you mind taking a picture with them next to each other (right foot U-last + left foot K-last or something like that)?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main difference - arguably the only difference - is in the toe box - K is narrower than U.

Normally I'd be happy to oblige with a pic, but my home computer is undergoing emergency surgery and it is a PITA to try to manage resizing and uploading photos with my phone.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
What leather is your double monk? That is a great burgundy color...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads