• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first Vass arrived at the office today, F last, Old English II, Oxblood

gDofC.jpg
:

A few observations: The F last isn't narrow at all, not compared to English lasts; it's a pretty standard American "D" width with decent room in the toe box; the instep is really high. If you look at the picture of them on my feet, the left shoe almost closes completely and the right looks perfectly normal. I have a very high instep. On most oxfords, the opening is a very wide "v" and the leather tends to bow out along the inside of my foot. The Vass hugs the arch.

these are a rocking pair of shoes. if I was to choose only one Vass this would prob be it. Iknow Will (from ASW) thinks so. i like u going for the single - really adds to the sleekness.:nodding::slayer:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what a great pair of shoes mr pink congrat's

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys, just returned from budapest with some Budapester oxfords on the U last in dark cognac. Really nice shoes,but wow were they expensive.
Will post some pics soon.

Question though, the soles of most of the shoes here have JR embossed along with Vass Budapest in their pictures.
Mine have Vass Budapest but no JR Soles embossed on the shoe. any idea why?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also, we don't have (beautiful) cobblestone streets like you do in Austria!

Last winter, I could definitely see how useful double-soles could be there! :D

next time drop me a line :cheers:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Size is 45.5. I generally wear a 12D US. Fit is very good. I may need tongue pad on the left shoe if it stretches. Otherwise, it's perfect. Kolecho mentioned that the OE II has an even higher instep than the other designs

I don't think so. For me the test is always where the ball of my foot fits in the last. On these, the widest part of my foot fits at the widest part of the last, and it's a good snug fit at that point. A smaller size would move the ball of my foot into the more narrow part of the last. (I judge by my left foot. My right is nearly a half-size smaller, though slightly wider and with a higher instep.)

it's the right shoe with the creasing. I knew it was a half size too big, and you mentioned your right foot is a half size smaller.

jesask

Reaction score
Mine came today. They look great to my eye and they seem to fit pretty well. I will wear them some more on the carpet tonight.

No pictures yet.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ It should also be considered that if you ask nicely your cobbler may be able apply the topy in what might pass for an attractive manner:

CJ-topy.jpg

I know Topy is not for everyone, but for my circumstances it is an excellent solution - dainite is too heavy/uncomfortable, double soles too uncomfortable, metal taps a distraction.

What tool is he using to get that nice rounded edge on the back of the topy? My guy just does a straight champfered edge

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guys, just returned from budapest with some Budapester oxfords on the U last in dark cognac. Really nice shoes,but wow were they expensive. ~410 euros.

Question though, the soles of most of the shoes here have JR embossed along with Vass Budapest in their pictures.

dark cognac rules , and hey 410 euro is a good price! cheaper than any other way of getting Vass AFAIK and don't forget u getting a hand-made product apart from the stitching on the closing. that's very rare in shoemaking, generally only bespoke makers do this

LaGourgandine

Reaction score
Talking about price... don't you all order them directly from Vass? If so, how come you are surprised by the price?
I live 10 minutes from them and I wouldn't mind proxying a few pairs if needed.

Cheers

Léo

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

u getting a hand-made product apart from the stitching on the closing.

i sometimes struggle with the english terms. what does it mean?

thanks

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Talking about price... don't you all order them directly from Vass? If so, how come you are surprised by the price?
I live 10 minutes from them and I wouldn't mind proxying a few pairs if needed.

Cheers

Léo

:slayer:oh my hero

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guys, just returned from budapest with some Budapester oxfords on the U last in dark cognac. Really nice shoes,but wow were they expensive. ~410 euros.

I ordered my MTO pair directly from Eva Vass via email, Old English II in cognac with single JR leather soles and rubber toe guards. With trees (20€) and shipping (20€) the total was 460 euros. As for sheer price-quality ratio Vass is king. EG, G&G and JL are much more expensive with less handwork involved.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What tool is he using to get that nice rounded edge on the back of the topy? My guy just does a straight champfered edge

Um, an exacto knife and years of practice. He eyeballed the sole and cut the topy in one go before attaching it on apparently.

next time drop me a line :cheers:

I'll hold you to that! :laugh:

Passed through Salzkammergut while on the way to Wien from Munchen (and then to Budapest!) - you are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the world, and to have Hungarian women within easy access too! :devil:

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i sometimes struggle with the english terms. what does it mean?

thanks

'closing' = when the various pieces of the upper are stitched together. this is done by machine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads