• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It should also be considered that if you ask nicely your cobbler may be able apply the topy in what might pass for an attractive manner:

CJ-topy.jpg

I know Topy is not for everyone, but for my circumstances it is an excellent solution - dainite is too heavy/uncomfortable, double soles too uncomfortable, metal taps a distraction.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ It should also be considered that if you ask nicely your cobbler may be able apply the topy in what might pass for an attractive manner:

CJ-topy.jpg

I know Topy is not for everyone, but for my circumstances it is an excellent solution - dainite is too heavy, double soles too uncomfortable, metal taps a distraction.

Topy is the way to go to stay reasonably alive/uninjured in winter particularly.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

...double soles too uncomfortable,

interesting, for me it is the other way round. single soles are wearing too hard for me. don't like the bouncing.

actually, i wear custom made shoes, so it's between single and double. in one word - balanced.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another question David: your stitched Vass boot I saw pics of recently - is that closing done by hand ?

Hmmm...not sure to be honest. I'll bet they'll hold up well regardless!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm...not sure to be honest. I'll bet they'll hold up well regardless!

vamp stitching on my Norwegers looks like by hand and in a v chunky thread. if a machine it'd be a hell of a needle

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Topy is the way to go to stay reasonably alive/uninjured in winter particularly.

yes, i'm a skater on leather. Apropos nice job

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...while we're on the subject of slipping and wet/icy pavements, I've found both dainite and commando soles slippery on ice. Thus far raw rubber soles have been the best suited answer. Has anyone experience with Ridgway soles or other materials?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 u can always remove a Topy if u change yr mind.

if done correctly, you can't. otherwise, you will damage something. also, the height difference must be compensated.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...while we're on the subject of slipping and wet/icy
i
if done correctly, you can't. otherwise, you will damage something. also, the height difference must be compensated.

maybe i need to talk to my cobbler. they start to peel after a lot of use in my experience. do u think the 2mm height dif is critical? when u consider nearly every shoe has different toe spring

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
My first Vass arrived at the office today, F last, Old English II, Oxblood

Bgibi.jpg

gDofC.jpg
:

tGUu2.jpg

A few observations: The F last isn't narrow at all, not compared to English lasts; it's a pretty standard American "D" width with decent room in the toe box; the instep is really high. If you look at the picture of them on my feet, the left shoe almost closes completely and the right looks perfectly normal. I have a very high instep. On most oxfords, the opening is a very wide "v" and the leather tends to bow out along the inside of my foot. The Vass hugs the arch.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^How is the fit? What size did you order?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My first Vass arrived at the office today, F last, Old English II, Oxblood

Bgibi.jpg

gDofC.jpg
:

tGUu2.jpg

A few observations: The F last isn't narrow at all, not compared to English lasts; it's a pretty standard American "D" width with decent room in the toe box; the instep is really high. If you look at the picture of them on my feet, the left shoe almost closes completely and the right looks perfectly normal. I have a very high instep. On most oxfords, the opening is a very wide "v" and the leather tends to bow out along the inside of my foot. The Vass hugs the arch.

looks half a size too big on your feet to me - see the creasing on the shoes?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

^^How is the fit? What size did you order?

Size is 45.5. I generally wear a 12D US. Fit is very good. I may need tongue pad on the left shoe if it stretches. Otherwise, it's perfect. Kolecho mentioned that the OE II has an even higher instep than the other designs

looks half a size too big on your feet to me - see the creasing on the shoes?

I don't think so. For me the test is always where the ball of my foot fits in the last. On these, the widest part of my foot fits at the widest part of the last, and it's a good snug fit at that point. A smaller size would move the ball of my foot into the more narrow part of the last. (I judge by my left foot. My right is nearly a half-size smaller, though slightly wider and with a higher instep.)

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Size is 45.5. I generally wear a 12D US. Fit is very good. I may need tongue pad on the left shoe if it stretches. Otherwise, it's perfect.

if, you maybe need a bit volume under your ball area. so why a tongue pad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads