• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

c'mon, nobody really needs dainite as vibram is so much better, imo.

Regardless of which is better, Dainite and Vibram are two very different looks when it comes to the soles.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Regardless of which is better, Dainite and Vibram are two very different looks when it comes to the soles.

you know that vibram offers about one hundred + different styles?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True, but from what I understand Vass prefers to only deal with the one as seen in the photo below.

side1_sm1.jpg

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. Just came across these online Antique Cognac Chukkas on the P2 last. Very nice!

uppers1_sm.jpg

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

True, but from what I understand Vass prefers to only deal with the one as seen in the photo below.

side1_sm1.jpg

maybe. this is a very good one.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoa. Just came across these online Antique Cognac Chukkas on the P2 last. Very nice!

uppers1_sm.jpg

they are fab. I don't have any boots, they might be just what i want. BTWDavid it looks like Dark Cognac (my fav Vass color) on my screen.
Question too: does Vass bevel the waist of its boots on the F and U? I'm guessing they don't on the P2.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like AC calf on my monitor, but always tough to tell with photos and computers. It was initially described as AC on the original photo. I believe Vass can do beveled waists on the U, F and P2, but not any other lasts. Not 100%, but I think that's the case.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe Vass can do beveled waists on the U, F and P2, but not any other lasts. Not 100%, but I think that's the case.

actually every decent cobbler can bevel a waist. years ago somebody posted his diy project. it's pretty easy.

imo, one has just to ask himself, if he really likes it and if it is needed on all kind of shoes/boots.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actually every decent cobbler can bevel a waist. years ago somebody posted his diy project. it's pretty easy.

imo, one has just to ask himself, if he really likes it and if it is needed on all kind of shoes/boots.

Exactly. That's why I don't think Vass does it on all lasts - they just don't think it looks good on some which I agree with.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More curiosity than anything for me. Some shoes/boots just look better without beveling, and some with. I have to say I prefer the Dover without the bevel for example :devil:
I wouldn't actually get that boot in P2 beveled, although I would consider it on a 'dress boot' - say if in U last with a single sole.

Another question David: your stitched Vass boot I saw pics of recently - is that closing done by hand ?

more

Simplicio

Reaction score

Vass doesn't do Dainite unfortunately. They do Vibrams, but they're pretty chunky soles. They would probably look best on the P2 last.

c'mon, nobody really needs dainite as vibram is so much better, imo.

I too had thought that Vass didn't do Dainite, but then I saw these on B&s:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/255200/drop-7-25-vass-shell-cordovan-plain-toe-derby-new

Apparently it is possible. Personally, I like Dainite, and I think it can be a great way to go for a casual or business casual shoe. I would like to have some nice casual brogues and I'm currently thinking about some made to order options, on which I will definitely want Dainite. But I'm not sure Vass is the best choice for this. I'll probably get some Trickers.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about dainite is they can't do a channeled sole. Because of this, i'd rather just get leather and topy.

I've also found that dainite wears down very quickly.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 u can always remove a Topy if u change yr mind. Leather on my Topy'd shoes is still pristine, and I don't slip and slide so much. like Dainite for casual tho

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads