• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cscharti

Reaction score
I currently have a 10E UK C&J 348 last that seems to be a touch too high in the vamp, resulting in the need for a thin tongue pad. I measure slightly narrower than 11D US on my right foot and 11D US on my left. From reading through this thread and searching I'm pretty sure I need a 44 in the U last. Any other ideas?

I thinking about a few options and can't decide which one to choose:

U-Cap
Budapest no medallion
Austere Brogue wingtip

All with a double to single metal toe cap of the same color choice either 6125 or 6319 Cognac

Oh, and I will be ordering in the future the casual Chukka that Slew posted pictures of earlier in this thread :fonz:

quar

Reaction score
I'm a 8.5 in C&J 348 and a 42.5 in the U. So I think you are spot on. But the U has a higher instep than the 348. So you might struggle there.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I currently have a 10E UK C&J 348 last that seems to be a touch too high in the vamp, resulting in the need for a thin tongue pad. I measure slightly narrower than 11D US on my right foot and 11D US on my left. From reading through this thread and searching I'm pretty sure I need a 44 in the U last. Any other ideas?

I thinking about a few options and can't decide which one to choose:

U-Cap
Budapest no medallion
Austere Brogue wingtip

All with a double to single metal toe cap of the same color choice either 6125 or 6319 Cognac

Oh, and I will be ordering in the future the casual Chukka that Slew posted pictures of earlier in this thread :fonz:

6319 is chestnut only slightly darker than cognac. A casual color. 6125 is a rich and dark red, almost a ruby. 6125 is more versatile IMO.

cscharti

Reaction score
I have a question to ask of all you Vass owners. For those of you that own the Budapest or U cap on the U last, or any Vass shoe for that matter on the U or F last. Could you measure the depth on the inside of the shoe from the bottom of the heel to the top of the leather on the heel. I have gotten a measurement of 2.25" on the 348 Drummond and 2.5" on the AE 5 last McAllister.

I have a quirky foot and have some discomfort in the heel, that doesn't break in, on anything lower than about 2.25"

Thanks for your help guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

doesn't this depend on what the owner has in the rest of their closet?

Which bit? nah, I think u mean what i said about the dark red being more versatile. I'd def say it goes without saying that it depends on what else is in yo closet, but that's true of any color question of course. The dark red is more versatile because of the general rule that the darker the shoe(excluding black itself) the more outfits it goes with - because shoes in general should be darker than trousers. A darker shoe is therefore going to be suitable for more fits. Again, a chestnut shoe like the 6319 IMO goes best with white, cream and other light trousers. You'll notice that chestnut shoes appear less on this and the general shoe Appreciation thread for this very reason.

I have a question to ask of all you Vass owners. For those of you that own the Budapest or U cap on the U last, or any Vass shoe for that matter on the U or F last. Could you measure the depth on the inside of the shoe from the bottom of the heel to the top of the leather on the heel. I have gotten a measurement of 2.25" on the 348 Drummond and 2.5" on the AE 5 last McAllister.

I have a quirky foot and have some discomfort in the heel, that doesn't break in, on anything lower than about 2.25"

Thanks for your help guys, it is greatly appreciated.

6.1 cm = 2.4 inches - it's a consistent measurement

Last edited:

cscharti

Reaction score
Pliny - Thanks greatly!!!

Now all I need to do pick one. Does anyone happen to have the Vass catalog? I filled out the online request for electronic version but have yet to receive one. Thanks

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If u can't access the American version try googling 'vass cipo'. IIRC there's an English version u can select

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Ccharti, I have it. PM me your email.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pliny - Thanks greatly!!!

Now all I need to do pick one. Does anyone happen to have the Vass catalog? I filled out the online request for electronic version but have yet to receive one. Thanks

Isn't it all here?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

photo01.jpg

photo02.jpg

photo03.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

VassGunter1.jpg

VassGunter2.jpg

VassGunter4.jpg

vassitox.jpg

vassitox2.jpg

vasswindsoradelaide-weymouth.jpg

vasswindsoradelaide-weymouth1.jpg

vasswindsoradelaide-weymouth3.jpg

here's some of mine now show me yours
stirpot.gif
rotflmao.gif
I only like the first pair of Derbies. The rest are uninspiring. No matter, Vass was unable to fit me when I vsited the shop.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too have a preference for the derbies - not that the others aren't great IMO, but I think the F last looks best unadorned. to my eye it can look a tiny bit fat when it's busy with brogueing and stitching. I know that's contrary to many others, but i say less is more. The U last, on the other hand, looks great in just about every style. Pity it just doesn't work well for me comfort wise. Something to do with the toe break.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads