• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stanchri

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's fair. The shoe prices seem pretty much in line given the state of the Canadian dollar right now.

You have to consider the fact that they haven't raised their prices yet. The prices they have currently, other than Carmina, are the old prices set when the CAD was around 1.10.
Consider the Tie your Tie ties which were $270 CAD, at the time of 1.10 CAD to USD exchange rate, while NMWA sold them under $150 USD. I wouldn't call that a fair price.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to consider the fact that they haven't raised their prices yet. The prices they have currently, other than Carmina, are the old prices set when the CAD was around 1.10.
Consider the Tie your Tie ties which were $270 CAD, at the time of 1.10 CAD to USD exchange rate, while NMWA sold them under $150 USD. I wouldn't call that a fair price.

We were discussing the price of their shoes - not the price of their ties.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Was the CAD really $1.10? I remember it at a $1.03, maybe 5 years ago, but not for very long. I'm watching the exchange daily as I get set to bring up enough cash from the States to make a down payment on a house. The 3% that the loonie has recovered over the last week stings just a little bit.

stanchri

Reaction score
We were discussing the price of their shoes - not the price of their ties.

Unless someone already knows the prices of the incoming Saint Crispins and John Lobb, we can only comment on the pricing of Carmina and EG. EG which is in line with others, fair enough, and Carmina which others have mentioned are still priced above Skoak after getting hit with duties and taxes.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for and support local stores. Though having more offerings in the middle range and pricing the likes of Carmina more competitively would help them reach a larger audience, let alone make them the go to shop for Carmina in Canada as opposed to taking chances with Skoak or others.

Was the CAD really $1.10? I remember it at a $1.03, maybe 5 years ago, but not for very long. I'm watching the exchange daily as I get set to bring up enough cash from the States to make a down payment on a house. The 3% that the loonie has recovered over the last week stings just a little bit.

It was once on par for a short time. I used 1.10 as a conservative exchange, though it has been even more favourable (in favour of Leatherfoot profits). The CAD has only started to tumble around 2013.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless someone already knows the prices of the incoming Saint Crispins and John Lobb, we can only comment on the pricing of Carmina and EG. EG which is in line with others, fair enough, and Carmina which others have mentioned are still priced above Skoak after getting hit with duties and taxes.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for and support local stores. Though having more offerings in the middle range and pricing the likes of Carmina more competitively would help them reach a larger audience, let alone make them the go to shop for Carmina in Canada as opposed to taking chances with Skoak or others.

You were the one who said they should charge normal prices rather than raise the price of a single pair of shoes enough to cover Yorkville rent. Not knowing if, when or by how much the prices of the shoes would be raised did not stop you from making that comment.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
It was once on par for a short time. I used 1.10 as a conservative exchange, though it has been even more favourable (in favour of Leatherfoot profits). The CAD has only started to tumble around 2013.

Ah, got'ya.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes, me too and I have. Jonathan will definitely look after you for some Aldens. But as always, Alden's timelines are what they are, up here at least.

I'm overall cautious and pessimistic, not looking good when you tempt the hand of fate too often. Jays will be lucky to pull 1 more win at home this ALCS. 

I'm optimistic, only because I remember how insane the city was when we won the back 2 back titles during my high school days. Would LOVE to experience another title - Lord know the Leafs will never win one in my lifetime.

BTW. I'm coming to Toronto November 7th - am willing to proxy for a small fee, depending on size and price of the item.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally grabbed a pair of Loake Chester short wings from Woolridge Shoes. Ivor is still working on getting Cheaney in but he's doing ok with Loake 1880. Again, he cares about fit and for that expertise I'm fine paying full price for that. My apologies for the crappy picture.

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
Not cool all this talk about Leatherfoot. I'm glad they are around, as they uped the shoe game in the city significantly. Arne I liked talking to the few times I did, and I got a knowledge-able, non-douchey vibe from him. I appreciated that - it's the sort of dudes I like to work with. Hopefully they can still continue that. But at least I wasn't the only one confused as to how they actually made any money - their store never did seem to have much in stock, and it seemed like they were always turning over stock and brands so that they were (and pardon a terrible pun I just thought of) trying to find their footing.

Shameless re-ask of my previous question:

Any of you guys bought any Jack Irwins? Need some boots for the winter, and I'll probably beat the stuffing out of them, so would rather spend in the $200 range than the $500.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you guys have been to Sultan's Fabrics? I stopped in today and it seems like a pretty nice resource to have (I like knowing there's someplace local to go to order out of the books of the major fabric mills) but I went in thinking I'd be able to browse around and look through bolts of fabric and I guess it doesn't really work like that.(?)

Last edited:

velomane

Reaction score
I've ordered from Sultan's. Never been. What was it like then, if you couldn't browse?

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
@Bill Smith agreed Ivor knows his stuff and is a very attentive. Wouldn't let me leave with anything until he was certain I had the right fit and was satisfied. He even gave me a bit of a discount since the shoes had been tried on in store before. Looking forward seeing what he gets from Cheaney.

Last edited:

LEVOOSH

Reaction score

I'm curious how many of you guys have been to Sultan's Fabrics? I stopped in today and it seems like a pretty nice resource to have (I like knowing there's someplace local to go to order out of the books of the major fabric mills) but I went in thinking I'd be able to browse around and look through bolts of fabric and I guess it doesn't really work like that.(?)

I've spent a considerable amount of time at Sultan's. Never had an issue browsing in the back, pulling out bolts, etc. As I've said before on this page, many of the fabrics in the back are without selvedge so you have to take him at its word that something is "Zegna" or "Loro Piana". I've had some good experiences and some bad with these mystery fabrics in terms of drape and performance but all in all Sultan is a good guy, and it is a fun resource to have if you are not too particular and willing to spend the time browsing.

One very good aspect is his shirting. Many name brands canlini, alumo etc that you can easily access. Also his linens and linen blends for summer are quite vast.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LEVOOSH - where do you get your shirts made after buying material?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads