• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my brush from Kent's eBay store where they sell the seconds/overstock back when our dollar was worth something. I think it was GBKENT. They have nothing up for sale at the moment but about once a month they post new things.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos and they do the trick. I don't generally like anything non-iron, but these are pretty awesome. The materials feel great and they come creased, and keep a crease.

J. Crew seems to have a lot of trousers made of cotton. I prefer the Bowery Classic fit, but if you like things slim, there's these. Not so sure about "stretch", though:

https://www.jcrew.com/ca/mens_category/PantFitGuide/Dress/BowerySlim/PRDOVR~F4031/F4031.jsp

I want to go back to wool trousers for a moment, though. I think some guys over-estimate how much maintenance they require. Wool has a natural anti-microbial quality that really does prevent the need for frequent cleaning. Hang them from the cuff after use and brush them with a clothes brush and you're good to go. Washing cotton pants and having to re-press them yourself is a bit of a hassle IMHO. Wear wool trousers and watch the weather forecast. If you're worried about getting wet, wear the cotton chinos that day. However, I've got caught in the rain with my wool trousers, and after a night's hanging they are back to normal, no other maintenance required. I'm not sure why anyone would consider them fragile either. I'm not wearing super 180s wool trousers.

Read this: http://www.nurturedfamily.com/amazing-properties-of-wool.html

Agreed with the previous two posts (at least). Good wool pants will last a decent amount before they need dry cleaning, a good brush is essential and a bit of rain is not a problem.

We are now recommending khakis/chinos but the opening post from nqtri said "no chinos"- I hope he changes his mind and gets a couple of pairs of nice non iron dressy ones. I bought mine from Tyrwhitt and they have served me well; easy to dress them up as the hold the crease and overall form nicely.

I agreed. I think I have some serious overestimation on the maintenance of wool pants and used to think of it as extremely delicate fabric. Your points clear things up and send me back on the wool pant track
cheers.gif

You know, I don't have a clothing brush. Where can I pick one up? I remember having a lint brush
I got mine from Muji for like $24 (I think) and it's been great so far.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah call me crazy but I've got say 12 wool pants so a rotation of about 2 weeks and I couldn't be dry cleaning them more than every few months, meaning I put at least every 5-10 uses so yeah like 3 times a year max. Unless i've spilled something or they're particularly dirty, I can't see why. I shower every day, I'm wearing underwear, I shake out dust and brush them every wearing or two, and most of them look as new as the day I bought them.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
y'all do realize that dry cleaning is very harsh on clothes, right?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$200 for a clothing brush? What in the world. I'll just stick to lint brushes. :D

yeah call me crazy but I've got say 12 wool pants so a rotation of about 2 weeks and I couldn't be dry cleaning them more than every few months, meaning I put at least every 5-10 uses so yeah like 3 times a year max. Unless i've spilled something or they're particularly dirty, I can't see why. I shower every day, I'm wearing underwear, I shake out dust and brush them every wearing or two, and most of them look as new as the day I bought them.

Yeah, I"m in the same boat as you. I only dry clean if soy sauce happens to spill on me while eating sushi.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Viral

yes, I think it's evident from our comments ;)

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Last time I was in Japan I bought a clothes brush from Muji for maybe the equivalent of $5 or $10. Perhaps the Muji at Yonge/Dundas has such an item? Mind you, they'll charge you twice as much...

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in Japan I bought a clothes brush from Muji for maybe the equivalent of $5 or $10. Perhaps the Muji at Yonge/Dundas has such an item? Mind you, they'll charge you twice as much...
Yes they do. Got mine from Muji at Yonge-Dundas.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're touching on pants, anyone experienced with BR Nanotex Wool pants before? Apparently they're 100% wool shell with special lining that prevents stain (not sure how that works) and the online reviews are good so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got my clothes brush there too. They're located in the Atrium on Bay. Basically a rectangular piece of wood with some animal hair bristles on one end. For $200 are the Kent brushes supposed to be family heirlooms or something to pass down from generation to generation?

Reaction score
Had a great time at the Bruce Boyer book signing at Leatherfoot earlier in the summer, so would be down for attending another event there. Got rather warm with the crowd of people in the store, but I don't think we'll have the same problem in October. Yes, there was a great spread available for nibbling and drinking.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Leatherfoot feels compelled to break out the Brut Imperial for our humble gathering? ..well, I guess I could live with that. ;)

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread been to the TIFF gala screenings and red carpet lounge?

I just found out my employer would like me to go (with clients) and I don't know what the dress code is. Website seems to be of little help. Hope it's not black tie, 'cause I don't have a tux...

Cityplace

Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread been to the TIFF gala screenings and red carpet lounge?

I just found out my employer would like me to go (with clients) and I don't know what the dress code is. Website seems to be of little help. Hope it's not black tie, 'cause I don't have a tux...

My firm has a similar gala screening client event at TIFF - the dress code is Business (suit and tie) as it's on a Wednesday after the work day.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My firm has a similar gala screening client event at TIFF - the dress code is Business (suit and tie) as it's on a Wednesday after the work day.

I dare you to wear Eidos Ajrak belted cardigan :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads