• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you had fun! 
If you want to hit up some shops next time around let me know. 
I can point out the choice goodwills. (harder to get to via max though)
Hawthorne district has some nice shops vintage shops too. but you are right NW has its unique outdoor style.

Thanks! Guy at Imogene and Willie mentioned a couple of spots but it was too late...

Cool you hit burnside, I still havent skated there. Good looking on the pro tip on early early. What time did you hit it?
I skate a private park, so the thought of getting heckled by some crusties gets my spoiled panties in a bunch.

Got there about 945 on saturday, some bikers there and a dude sleeping in the bowl. Got there about 815 sunday, had it to ourselves until 9 or a little later.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just got back from my trip. Thanks again for the recommendations and
hospitality. Had a good stay at the Ace Hotel--we stayed in a shared triple and sharing a bathroom was no problem. Probably helped that I don't think the hotel was booked solid. Free bikes were a plus. Biked all over downtown/pearl, as well as a lot in SE.

Eats:
-dug Clyde Commons (good food, decent whiskey selection), Lardo (great sandwiches and beer), Tasty and Alder (best all around meal). Ate richly. Found everything priced reasonably (Tasty and Alder is a deal) and service overall solid. Didn't get to eat a lot outside the downtown neighborhood. Juice/smoothie bar next to Winn Perry was great, too.

Beers:
-I don't think there was a single place I ate that didn't have a beer list with at least one option I had never tried. No all-macro lists, lots of beers/types of beer on draft (maybe belgian/sour selection a little wanting). Best beer experiences were at Lardo, Clyde, and Deschutes. Wanted to make it to Hair of the Dog but it didn't happen.

Coffee:
-Stumptown, Heart, Barista--no complaints. Heart location on Burnside probably the nicest coffee shop I've ever seen. Will say I think for a standard cup of coffee my home brewed pourover holds up to any cup I had out there.

Shopping:
-Downtown Portland is an embarrassment of riches, so long as your tastes aren't too edgy. Self Edge, Danner (clothing at Danner better than expected), Steven Alan right in a row (Finally met Kiya). Cool Imogene and Willie and Woodlands/Tanner Goods shops right next to each other. V unpretentious and the boots/denim/leather stuff/outdoor gear combo they carry is a much more natural fit here than in NY or DC, IMO. New Winn Perry is pleasant and very well-edited. Portland Outdoor store is a throwback. Cal skate shop is good as that goes.
Surprises: I thought I'd love Powell's but I found it crowded and overwhelming; I liked Snowpeak's gear and clothing; I loved Canoe for housewares/gifts; I didn't expect a fully stocked Montbell shop; the comic book and record stores are great; maybe I wasn't looking in the right places, but I didn't see much good vintage shopping (a least for men). Prices in general seemed good (compared to DC/NY) and no sales tax is a big plus.

Etc:
The Max is 100% fine for getting downtown from the airport. Mount Tabor is a fun quick hike with good views. Downtown closer to the water is more desolate than I expected. We were sort of on a skate trip, and Portland is v skateboard friendly--not too many steep hills, only a few rough rough roads/sidewalks, no hassle from police or tourists. If you want to skate Burnside go very early, bmxers already go early (to avoid skaters) so be even earlier. Then go back later and watch locals air it out. People in general were quite friendly. Being gregarious at a communal able = new friends and good recommendations. Shop owners recommended each other. Other old guy skaters offered their favorite street spots. Obviously homelessness in Portland is off the charts bad (it's bad in DC, but not THAT bad). I never got used to it; tough to see.

Would visit again!

Untitled by breathnaighphoto, on Flickr

great write-up. looking forward to winn perry next time im there. did you get a chance to review the new shop, if not what did you think?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked Winn Perry a lot--Jordan definitely knows what he's doing re: editing a small collection of the type of stuff distinguished by details. I mean, it's hard to be surprising carrying Aldens, Individualized Shirts, LVCs, etc, but most of his makeups are custom and just different enough from what you'd see elsewhere to be interesting.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to miss the chance to connect @shoreman1782. If I had know you were on bike and wanted to hit Hair of the Dog I would have told to you come over the bridge! My office is directly across the street.

Glad you had a good trip, and it sounds like you hit a lot of the highlights. Hopefully they'll be another visit sometime!

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screen door , overrated? Maybe. Best friend chicken n waffles? Definitely. If you don't go peak time and wait, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Their chicken and waffles is good, but the last three or four times I went, nothing else was. Depending on the fruit syrup, I personally enjoy Simpatica's chicken and waffles more than Screen Door's, even though it isn't as gargantuan.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My three musts: Expatriate, Ava Gene's, and Le Pigeon.
My three avoids: Screen Door... let's just leave it at one. Screen Door might be the most over-hyped restaurant in Portland.
[/quote

Ava Gene's. So good.

pdxvegan

Reaction score
This thread might not be the best place to post this but all the bachelor party threads I could find were dead. Just let me know and I can move/delete this post. I was wondering if anyone knew of a secluded cabin/rental within 3 or 4 hours of PDX. Anyway we're looking at getting 12ish guys together in mid May for a bachelor party and I was hoping for someplace we could be loud out in nature without angering neighbors, police, etc. If anyone can direct me to a rental like this I would greatly appreciate it!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF was telling me about Portland Fashion Week in April. Anyone know much about this? How much of a role, if any, does menswear play here?

Also, Winn Perry is nice. Dropped in for the first time on Wednesday. I agree with much of what shoreman said about the store. Very well curated. They have some nice heavyweight 7oz tees that aren't online right now... Jordan said they were made in Portland. I picked up one of those and a checked shirt.

Last edited:

deejaysoy

Reaction score
About to do a baby moon in April. Two dinners and two lunches. Potentials are Beast and Ox for dinner. Lunch at Pok pok and Lardo(?). What do you all think? Looking forward to some retail too. Thanks!

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beast and Ox both rule.

I think Lardo is so extremely overrated. I've eaten through a large percent of their menu, and I find it above average but not exceptional for Portland.

If you're here Thursday-Sunday, I'd hit Carte Blanche for lunch instead of Lardo. It rules so hard. (The owner actually used to work in Pok Pok's kitchen.)

Other highly recommended lunches (if you can be talked out of eating at Pok Pok, which I think is good but not as good as it used to be—I'd rather eat Thai food at Chiang Mai or PaaDee): HA&VL, Little Bird, Accanto

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lardo is so beat. Can't understand how its growing so fast.
My latest sammiches from shut up n eat / philadelphia market have been keeping me pretty happy.

So ive been looking for a new weekday happy hour patio spot in SE. Any suggestions other that white owl/roadside? Tables and discounted beer is a must.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't know, either. People like ***** meaty sandwiches that don't challenge their palette (see also: Bunk), I guess. Don't get it, when there are so many better sandwich places in town (e.g. Shut Up and Eat, Meat Cheese Bread, Devil's Dill, Tails and Trotters, Roman Candle, An Xuyen and other banh mi joints...), not to mention places that have great sandwiches on their menu (e.g. Carte Blanche, mentioned above—my favorite!, Gonzo (I'm counting pita), Bollywood Theater (I'm also counting paratha, apparently))... Rick Gencarelli's pasta place, Grassa, rules, though.

Weekday happy hours with outdoor seating in SE: EastBurn? The Standard (technically in NE I guess)?

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF was telling me about Portland Fashion Week in April. Anyone know much about this? How much of a role, if any, does menswear play here?

None, lol.

It blows my mind that the dress code for every professional environment I've been in locally is jeans and a sweatshirt.

Or if you're on the east side, male jeggings.

I think Lardo is so extremely overrated. I've eaten through a large percent of their menu, and I find it above average but not exceptional for Portland.

My midwest parents didn't even finish their Lardo sandwiches. My mom flat out didn't like hers. I enjoyed whatever I had, but it wasn't anything special.

If anyone lives in the burbs (read: Beaverton), I really enjoy Shoten sushi by Walker/158th; my gf even approves.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-21362-restaurant-guide-2013-shoten.html

What would you guys say is the best place in Portland to get:

1. Ramen
2. Pho

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None, lol.

It blows my mind that the dress code for every professional environment I've been in locally is jeans and a sweatshirt.

Or if you're on the east side, male jeggings.

Hah, for sure. It's still a bit of a switch for me. But I've been in Portland for almost a year -- I was referring specifically to the Fashion Week.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you guys say is the best place in Portland to get:

1. Ramen
2. Pho
Portland ramen scene is so weak! It kills me. Boxer Ramen was awesome for two weeks after it opened, but they keep changing their recipes and it keeps going downhill. So disappointing. Mirakutei's ramen is sometimes pretty good (but not fantastic). Biwa is mediocre and overrated. Boke Bowl is... fine, if you add soy sauce to the broth (but their brussels sprout salad and fried chicken are both excellent). I mourn the closing of Wafu, whose ramen at their peak was very good.

If you like pho, you'll love HA&VL (they only serve pho once a week, but their soups are AMAZING). I especially like the peppery pork ball.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads