• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By finish I mean kind of "crust finish" with layers of polish. Like if you have areas that are bulled Lexol destroys that right away. It just takes off a ton of polish. Also, just areas that aren't bulled per se, but have a bit of a spit shine to them and are very shiny. I feel like it takes a bit of time to get that back.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I understand what you mean. Personally, I am not a fan of polish layers as a finish, although I understand that many makers use it (Berluti does, I know). Although it is much more time consuming for the maker, and also more work, I am a much bigger fan of finish through layers of dye. I had no idea of the difference until I sent a pair of shoes for a Ron Rider "antiquing". He used well over a dozen layers of dye, and I'm sure the process took a couple of days, but the result was unbelievable... and extremely durable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, he uses dye & polish. He is a big supporter of using cream polishes to color leather.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, he uses dye & polish. He is a big supporter of using cream polishes to color leather.

You may want to re-read the thread. The antique finish is achieved mainly through layer after layer of dye. At the very end, cream polish (as well as wax) is used to highlight the permanent (and durable) finish achieved with the dyes.

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/45530/shoe-antiquing

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/45530/shoe-antiquing/15#post_728502

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/45530/shoe-antiquing/30#post_736540

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not personally sold on the Saphir products being vastly superior. The difference between "all natural" and "man made" ingredients is often more about marketing than anything else. Even "man made" ingredients are, themselves, comprised of "all natural" parts.

I prefer to use them and form opinions based on that. In terms of conditioners, the litmus test for me has been to take a pair of 60+ year old NOS (which are usually dry as a bone) and condition the leather "back to life". The process usually takes weeks or even months of conditioning (a method learned from our own Meister). When used for this purpose, I've seen absolutely no difference in the results using Lexol & Saphir Renovateur

I've got to say that of all the statements about conditioners, I find this one, coming from you, to be the most authoritative - all those old shoes you've posted look like they've been in a 100% nitrogen environment over the decades.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting about DWF's comments on Meltonian. Meltonian is the major shoe creme seller in Australia apart from Kiwi and a bit of Angelus. Cobblers speak highly of Meltonian renovating creme for putting colour back into shoes.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you guys bespoke? Seemingly pricy.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting about DWF's comments on Meltonian. Meltonian is the major shoe creme seller in Australia apart from Kiwi and a bit of Angelus. Cobblers speak highly of Meltonian renovating creme for putting colour back into shoes.

the only brand i have used and hated is kiwi, after using a few times it left my hand sore and very dry so i wold hate to see what it does to me shoes

i have only used meltonian cream it is ok but i prefer saphir - a little seems to go a long way with it

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shoefan

Reaction score
This just off the last.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

I am pretty pleased with this pair, though as always many areas for improvement.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding steel eyelets would be my suggestion....shoe looks fantastic....great Adelaide design

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads