• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heading for the big city tomorrow to have a trial fitting of my new suit...feeling a little anxious.

But anyways, here is a photo of my latest ...now packed and ready to ship. Annonay calf whole cut brogued and antiqued.

FWIW.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Heading for the big city tomorrow to have a trial fitting of my new suit...feeling a little anxious.

But anyways, here is a photo of my latest ...now packed and ready to ship. Annonay calf whole cut brogued and antiqued.

FWIW.

:slayer:

striker

Reaction score
I seldom curse and swear but fan-*******-tastic. I am sorry that I am just not eloquent enough to describe this. Very beautiful lines, wholecuts can easily become a disaster if the shape of the last or the quality of the leather is not tip-top.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I seldom curse and swear but fan-*******-tastic. I am sorry that I am just not eloquent enough to describe this. Very beautiful lines, wholecuts can easily become a disaster if the shape of the last or the quality of the leather is not tip-top.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1.
Beautiful colour and I like a lot the toe cap shape as well. Congrats DW!!.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in awe here. The whole cut shoes is just perfect craftsmanship, not only you are very knowledgeable as a shoemaker but you back it up in actions as well.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. :cheers:

As a maker, and, more importantly as a teacher, I tell my students "upon completion of a pair of shoes a maker should always look for three things to improve upon...no less than three things lest he fall prey to complacency, no more than three at peril of false pride."

There were (maybe always will be), three things on this pair I could have kicked myself over. But overall, I am happy with the way they came out, esp. considering this was my best effort to date at "professional" antiquing. Always in the past, I was constrained by the person who was going to own the shoes--students or customers. I had free reign here.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW.

another fabulous piece of your work DWF

emptym

Reaction score
Gorgeous. I love the shape of the toe and the length of the tongue in particular. Would you be willing to share the "three things" on these shoes? The only thing I might change is to have the soles be a bit bit more trim. But they're beautiful as is.

Love Bengal-Stripe's shoes above too.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gorgeous.  I love the shape of the toe and the length of the tongue in particular.  Would you be willing to share the "three things" on these shoes?  The only thing I might change is to have the soles be a bit bit more trim.  But they're beautiful as is.

Thanks to you and sogent and cleav.

As for the "three things"...that's the "Art and Mysterie" of the cordwainer. :)

However, pB asked for a sole shot and in providing it I reveal one--I got some new crow wheels from Alford as a birthday gift from a student and I didn't do too well with the one I used around the forepart.. I used a number 12 fudge at the breast of the heel and heated it up too much and my new greek key over the channel and didn't heat it enough. The colour of the outsole and heel are pretty good but my bottom finishing, in general...well, I've done better. :embar:

And yes, the customer ordered a machine stitched outsole.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wholecuts typically aren't my thing, but those are lovely.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sole shot?

See below... or actually above--below your request post, above this one of mine. :crackup:

Also thanks for the kind words in the "like" comments...whatever they're called, that's a new feature.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While esthetically very nice, It seems to me that the shape of the tip ( semisquare wide peak?) of your insole is perfect for a very, very comfortable wear. Just my impression. I wonder if you shape them that way taking into account this reason?.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads